20" Kids Bike Advice

daniemare

I do not want to learn how to set V-brakes over and above normal operations. I can care less to troubleshoot something that just do not spring back. Scour the Internet and I am not the only one that struggles with it - hence why I decided to put it as one of my priorities of what I would like/not like on a bike.

Not to harp on this, but they don't spring back because the pad is getting jammed against the rim, NOT because the spring is too weak.This happens when the pad is set flush against the rim and not with a small angle to the front   ;)

Edited by GrahamS2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My boy has the 20" Giant XTC. It does come with a coil fork, which works as well as you'd expect a coil fork on a kids bike to work, however, my boy is pretty chuffed with his fork shock! It also has v-brakes, which I also dislike, however I haven't had any issues with them whatsoever <touch wood>.

The bike is also nice and heavy to get those young legs nice and strong! :lol:  We're quite happy with the bike. 

My boy has the 20" Giant XTC. It does come with a coil fork, which works as well as you'd expect a coil fork on a kids bike to work, however, my boy is pretty chuffed with his fork shock! It also has v-brakes, which I also dislike, however I haven't had any issues with them whatsoever <touch wood>.

The bike is also nice and heavy to get those young legs nice and strong! :lol:  We're quite happy with the bike. 

Similar experience over here, my son hated the rigid fork on his previous bike. Started to cycle much more once he had a bike with a coil fork so it must have some use!

Maybe some advice on an actual bike....

I do not want to learn how to set V-brakes over and above normal operations. I can care less to troubleshoot something that just do not spring back. Scour the Internet and I am not the only one that struggles with it - hence why I decided to put it as one of my priorities of what I would like/not like on a bike.

But this is not the point of the thread. I was looking for options from others that also did some research to help me out.

Thanks for the others with your suggestions. Seems like the JSL20 ticks most of the boxes, and I will just have to learn to live with the brakes

You scoured the internet, but couldn't work out how to set v-brakes?

Being anti v-brakes just seriously limits your options in this category. Decent Vs work really well

Hi Hubbers

I need advice for my boy's next bike.

Size 20" Mountain Bike

Requirements":

Priority 1 - Rigid Fork (I see no sense in a 2kg+ cheap coil fork that actually has no movement when even my 85kg press down on it.)

Priority 2 - Disc Brakes (Mechanical is fine, but if I have to struggle with one more set of V-brakes I will loose it.  There is always one side that does not spring back)

Priority 3 - Plus sized tires (not fat bike)

The Scott attached tick all the boxes, except for a local distributor that does not bring it in.

Current Options

Momsen JSL20 - but has annoying V-brakes

Titan Racing Hades - but has heavy non-functioning suspension fork

Specliazed Hotrock - non functioning suspension fork, v-brakes and the typical Spez Premium Price

Any other I should look at?

If money is no object why not get your little ripper this bad boy - Meekboyz Mini Beast (20")  :thumbup:

p5pb15042002.jpg

luckily my kids are still a bit small, but that does look like the ultimate kids bike.

or an express launchpad for a lifetime of bikesnobbery!

We bought the MOMSEN JR20 for Maritz.

The better rims, and the better "feel" of the shock clinched the deal for us.

It has the typical V-brake.  It WORKS.  

Maritz has done a lot of trails on this bike, from the Hermanus trails to various fun rides and many outings at Meerendal en Bloemendal.   This bike gets USED !

It sure gave us EXCELLENT use.  Other than truing the rear wheel twice, did it myself while doing normal check-ups, the bike gave us no issues.

uhm ... okay, to be truthful - we chucked out those horrid twist grips !!!!  Upgrading it to the Sunrace trigger shift.  This upgrade would apply to all the bikes in this size ....

All said R 4 200 for a bike the kid outgrows in 18 months .......  :whistling:   :eek:

Now busy looking for his next bike, as he now sits "on-top" of the 20'' .... and I may have launched myself on a path of bike snobbery with his first Momsen ...  :eek:   :whistling:   I am looking at the Titan Racing options, some options at R4k .... for a bit over R5k we can get a decent Titan .... or for a snobbish price Momsen has a very nice 24'' complete with air shocks and all the nice goodies ... for the next 18 months ....  :oops: ... but damn, that Momsen looks NICE ....

wonder if I should try to find a local dealer where I can view it .... (and NO that big shop in Bellville wont get my money)

Similar experience over here, my son hated the rigid fork on his previous bike. Started to cycle much more once he had a bike with a coil fork so it must have some use!

Maritz started on a rigid 20'' bike .... going over small bumps you could see the front wheel bouncing into the air !!

I went shop to shop TESTING the shocks on every 20'' in sight .... finally found one where the front shock actually had some movement.  Bought it, and VERY happy we did !!

Playing about in the park of hard gravel a rigid is okay ... but a rigid is not nice if you want your kid to ride om trails with rocks and exposed tree roots ...

• 5 weeks later...

Some updates

After about a month on his new steed I can report (scott 20”)

- weight is an issue, but it is actually the wheels that the biggest culprit, followed by the suspension fork. But like some have said, the fork might have its advantages.

- the better tektro v-brakes are working, so I concede, good ones are good, so no need for discs

- the real deal braker, the bloody gripshift. The replacement parts are on order, but we all know since CRCs move to Skynet this is almost as long a wait as SAPO

Overal, the extra weight and sized did put my boy back a few steps in confidence and bike handling, but it will soon be back

Side note for manufacturers

At the 10km Nissan trail seeker I asked every parent next to their child whether their kid can use the gripshifts. NO EXCEPTIONS- Everyone said No or down but not up. And the kids raned in age from 5 (mine) to 10. Stop speccing bikes with it.

The Shimano trigger shift is significantly better than the Sunrace ....

Speak to Fred at Geko Cycles.

Grip shifts are spec’ed because of their small hands. I’ve had both my boys come through the small bikes. And they had no issue with them. The gripshift allows them to keep their hand position for safety as well.

IMO most kids bikes are not maintained. And the kids lie them over on the derailure etc. This is why they don’t work.

Absolutely my opinion. And one must use whatever keeps the kids enjoying their riding!!

I recently imported the Canyon Offspring 16' for my boy after doing much research.

The Offspring range caught my attention for three reasons:

- The cockpit is specifically engineered for children

- The components are proper - for example the bike came equipped with Sram Level brakes, also has a two speed Sram auto hub

- The bikes are height specific - I thought this was an intelligent approach

They have a 20' option that will be his next bike for sure

https://www.canyon.com/en/kids/

Check it out

I recently imported the Canyon Offspring 16' for my boy after doing much research.

The Offspring range caught my attention for three reasons:

- The cockpit is specifically engineered for children

- The components are proper - for example the bike came equipped with Sram Level brakes, also has a two speed Sram auto hub

- The bikes are height specific - I thought this was an intelligent approach

They have a 20' option that will be his next bike for sure

https://www.canyon.com/en/kids/

Check it out

self import or using their new online ship to ZA offering?

Canyon instantly took kids bikes really seriously with this move! (a custom bike for team rider Fabian Barel's son)

p5pb15178443.jpg

Canyon instantly took kids bikes really seriously with this move! (a custom bike for team rider Fabian Barel's son)

p5pb15178443.jpg

I had to bring it in via a friend. Canyon would not supply the kids bikes to SA because of some sort of trade embargo - Go figure.

Edited by cbdcaffie

p5pb15178443.jpg

Nice balance bike... It is actually a Kokua Jumper though - just resprayed it seems. Can buy them locally... my son had one.

I have found that weight was a real issue. The Spez is crazy heavy. 

Got Kittel a Frog Alu bike, he now does 10-12km no issues. 

His cousin got a cheaper Avalanche, wont do more than 300m. Worse V brakes, terrible levers, think the gear ratio is also a little too steep and is heavier. She is always wanting to ride her cousins bike. 

Luckily have 2 kids,so can pass stuff down, so Swift is on the Isla balance bike now at age 16 months. Finally listens to where he needs to go, before he just disappears across fields etc...

Have friends that have twins, they just buy stuff larger so the girls can use it for longer as nobody to pass it down to. They are smaller than Kittel but are 'riding' 16" bikes.

I have found that weight was a real issue. The Spez is crazy heavy.

Got Kittel a Frog Alu bike, he now does 10-12km no issues.

His cousin got a cheaper Avalanche, wont do more than 300m. Worse V brakes, terrible levers, think the gear ratio is also a little too steep and is heavier. She is always wanting to ride her cousins bike.

Luckily have 2 kids,so can pass stuff down, so Swift is on the Isla balance bike now at age 16 months. Finally listens to where he needs to go, before he just disappears across fields etc...

Have friends that have twins, they just buy stuff larger so the girls can use it for longer as nobody to pass it down to. They are smaller than Kittel but are 'riding' 16" bikes.

Had him on a frog 43. Excellent bike. These guys understand kids bikes.

Just could not stretch to the 20” this time around. Got a Scott. But I am sure they come from the same line as the Avalanches of the world. We will see how it goes. Maybe his dad will come around. Luckily the bike was purchased used, and could be sold again for probably brake even.

The Nino World Champ colour way is cool though