20" Kids Bike Advice

daniemare

SNIP

Please remember this is a kids bike not a mini version of your own. Unless you live in devil country tubeless is overkill and disc is not needed on a 25kg child..

Let them be kids.

I was asking for me... Because Mini Velo is life and I have a 20 inch disc version sitting waiting to be delivered... Purchased before times were as they are....

I agree though, when my boy gets to 20 inch tire size I will but permatubes in. They are a buy once product and he can ride anywhere without worrying.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O boy, the big kids bike debate. I have 3 little ones 5, 10 and 12 so been down this path.

Firstly it's a kids bike for the little one to learn, play and destroy. Destroy as in they are not born with the ability to shift under load and want to ride with Johnny down the road in the mud and sticks.

Please remember this is a kids bike not a mini version of your own. Unless you live in devil country tubeless is overkill and disc is not needed on a 25kg child.

I personally detest gripshift (more than taxis) but have found my kids love gripshift because they don't have adult thumbs to push a trigger.

That been said the goal is to love cycling and develop skills. My 5 year old is on a gt micro at 5kgs. He loves the bike and does a sold 7km each day. My older 2 are now on 24inch bikes and have a bmx each. I prefer the bmx approach as the child learn skills and the bikes are indestructible and of course weigh very little.

My 12 year old on her 24inch goes down rocky hills like a pro, I wet myself in fear!

Teach your child to love cycling and to jump potholes, pavements and skills skills and more skills. A mini me bike with trigger shifting disk brakes can come latter.

My 5c, just remember kids don't all want to ride 2 hours and race on sunday (2 years in I learnt that). I race road and mountain bike at a high level. My kids love the sport but will do the distance when they want to.

An adult bike is 9kgs. Why put your kids on that weight machine? They can't bench that weight.

Ps- I left SA a few years ago. My kids ride the Australian streets and local trails on their own so I know there bike preferences well and my number 1 tool is a derailleur hanger alignment tool !!!

Actually my daughter prefers to hit the back yard on her Honda crf125fb. I have a few dented trees.

Let them be kids.

Hi BMXER

Thanks for the feedback. You make very compelling points. Will definitely keep them in mind before purchasing.

Thanks

????

Jameel a few more thoughts to throw into the hat ....

How old are your kids ?  During the year they turn 6 they can join the SPUR MTB league - https://www.spurmtbleague.co.za/

Titan Haydes is thee bike of choice for the younger riders.  :thumbup:

One of the kids in our school group did his first two years in this league on a BMX.  Yes, he spun out, and might have ended higher if he had the gears.  BUT, he did very well on his BMX .... dare I admit, even better than our kid on a "better" bike ...  :whistling:   :ph34r:

SKILL and LEGS are going to out-perform any bike at this level.  And as was pointed out already, these front shocks makes these bikes HEAVY.

BUT, now the real question - what type of riding will YOUR FAMILY be doing ???

Freestyling, jumping, etc .... BMX all the way.

We were doing 12km trails on his 20'' ... the front shock REALLY helped to handle tree roots etc along the trails ....

there really is no single "Right" answer .... your use will determine the best bike for the job ....

Dont worry, they grow out if in 18 months .... so you will be buying the next one soon enough, with a much better idea of what suits YOUR familie's needs.  :thumbup:

IF you go for something with gears ... teach them from day one to put the bike down on the LEFT side ... never ever onto the derailure ....  Sad to see how some kids abuse their bikes, often for a lack of "Training" more than anything else ...

above all else - ENJOY  :clap:

Jameel a few more thoughts to throw into the hat ....

How old are your kids ? During the year they turn 6 they can join the SPUR MTB league - https://www.spurmtbleague.co.za/

Titan Haydes is thee bike of choice for the younger riders. :thumbup:

One of the kids in our school group did his first two years in this league on a BMX. Yes, he spun out, and might have ended higher if he had the gears. BUT, he did very well on his BMX .... dare I admit, even better than our kid on a "better" bike ... :whistling: :ph34r:

SKILL and LEGS are going to out-perform any bike at this level. And as was pointed out already, these front shocks makes these bikes HEAVY.

BUT, now the real question - what type of riding will YOUR FAMILY be doing ???

Freestyling, jumping, etc .... BMX all the way.

We were doing 12km trails on his 20'' ... the front shock REALLY helped to handle tree roots etc along the trails ....

there really is no single "Right" answer .... your use will determine the best bike for the job ....

Dont worry, they grow out if in 18 months .... so you will be buying the next one soon enough, with a much better idea of what suits YOUR familie's needs. :thumbup:

IF you go for something with gears ... teach them from day one to put the bike down on the LEFT side ... never ever onto the derailure .... Sad to see how some kids abuse their bikes, often for a lack of "Training" more than anything else ...

above all else - ENJOY :clap:

My eldest is turning 6 this week, and is quite capable on his 16” Muna at the moment. He is handles a 5-7km trail ride, not very technical quite well.

My second is 18 months younger, and she will be inheriting the 16” soon. Currently she does a 2km trail ride and then gets bored. But my son was also like that and then just started loving being on the bike.

The plan is to just be on the bike out on the trails with them and just enjoy being out. I will leave it up to them as they grow older to choose a discipline, difficulty, etc.

But yes, I’m looking at the spur series events also.

• 2 weeks later...

Really thanx to the peeps providing info in this thread. :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I'm too needing to upgrade by 2 girls Muna bikes(16 and 14), which has been epic for them.
The Muna 16 will go to the 5 year old and now need something for the 7 year old. She is 128cm so according to the sites just too small for the 24. This has been a compelling debate over here ie 20 and upgrade in 2 years vs 24 and upgrade ?. We have the "luxury"of handing down to her sis, so I'm leaning to the 20inch. 
That being said Hades seem to be the weapon of choice, I did want to ask regarding other brands like giant and scott are they still the heavy weights and a no go?

And also being a momsen fanboy(Was my first mtb :) how does the jsl20 range compare to the titan. 
TIA

Really thanx to the peeps providing info in this thread. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm too needing to upgrade by 2 girls Muna bikes(16 and 14), which has been epic for them.

The Muna 16 will go to the 5 year old and now need something for the 7 year old. She is 128cm so according to the sites just too small for the 24. This has been a compelling debate over here ie 20 and upgrade in 2 years vs 24 and upgrade ?. We have the "luxury"of handing down to her sis, so I'm leaning to the 20inch.

That being said Hades seem to be the weapon of choice, I did want to ask regarding other brands like giant and scott are they still the heavy weights and a no go?

And also being a momsen fanboy(Was my first mtb :) how does the jsl20 range compare to the titan.

TIA

Maritz had the 20" Momsen. brilliant bike !!!

But it comes at price premium ....

As you will get dual use out of it, it makes sense ...

Maritz has since had two Titan Haydes bikes, VERY happy with these bikes.

Please dont skip a size .... let her sit on the saddle of the 24", then watch as she tries to turn the handle bars .... their short arms cant reach for a sharp turn.

Maritz had the 20" Momsen. brilliant bike !!!

But it comes at price premium ....

As you will get dual use out of it, it makes sense ...

Maritz has since had two Titan Haydes bikes, VERY happy with these bikes.

Please dont skip a size .... let her sit on the saddle of the 24", then watch as she tries to turn the handle bars .... their short arms cant reach for a sharp turn.

I'm assuming you preferring the Titan based on your experience?

Yep so she has faily long arms but that means nothing at the moment as getting to a bike shop with a 24inch in lockdown is a challenge.

I'm assuming you preferring the Titan based on your experience?

Yep so she has faily long arms but that means nothing at the moment as getting to a bike shop with a 24inch in lockdown is a challenge.

The engineer in me appreciates the detail that goes into the Momsen !  :thumbup:   Better rims .... shock "felt" the best of the lot we tried.

But we literally had 12 months and 3 weeks use out of the bike ....  :eek:  Then it was onto the next size ....  Think we got about 13 or 14 months out of the 24'' ....  Bought the 26'' in January 2020, at this rate he might outgrow it in lock-down ...  :wacko:   :ph34r:

So I just cant justify buying Momsen at this rate .... but it certainly IS a brilliant bike.

Over the last two years I have gained a LOT of respect for the Titan brand, seeing what these bikes endure at the SPUR events !!!

The engineer in me appreciates the detail that goes into the Momsen !  :thumbup:   Better rims .... shock "felt" the best of the lot we tried.

But we literally had 12 months and 3 weeks use out of the bike ....  :eek:  Then it was onto the next size ....  Think we got about 13 or 14 months out of the 24'' ....  Bought the 26'' in January 2020, at this rate he might outgrow it in lock-down ...  :wacko:   :ph34r:

So I just cant justify buying Momsen at this rate .... but it certainly IS a brilliant bike.

Over the last two years I have gained a LOT of respect for the Titan brand, seeing what these bikes endure at the SPUR events !!!

Shot for that :thumbup: , I reckon you stop feeding your kids period. That way you wont have the growing problem and save moola  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Shot for that :thumbup: , I reckon you stop feeding your kids period. That way you wont have the growing problem and save moola  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Hiehie ....

His grand-dad and his uncle are all 6'6'' .... even his nieces are close on 6' ....

He is constantly among the three tallest kids in his class ... depending who had the last growth spurt ....

The engineer in me appreciates the detail that goes into the Momsen ! :thumbup: Better rims .... shock "felt" the best of the lot we tried.

But we literally had 12 months and 3 weeks use out of the bike .... :eek: Then it was onto the next size .... Think we got about 13 or 14 months out of the 24'' .... Bought the 26'' in January 2020, at this rate he might outgrow it in lock-down ... :wacko: :ph34r:

Buy 2nd Hand and sell on again, that way you are not going to burn that much money. My kid is 13 and still riding 2nd hand, this year he will be on a 26” that is also 13 years old. Good light 2nd Hand is better than a heavier new bike.

Let’s hope they get to ride a bit at least.

Buy 2nd Hand and sell on again, that way you are not going to burn that much money. My kid is 13 and still riding 2nd hand, this year he will be on a 26” that is also 13 years old. Good light 2nd Hand is better than a heavier new bike.

Let’s hope they get to ride a bit at least.

I found it best to ask on the hub if you are looking for something specific. Found the first two momsen’s that way.

Also sold them here on the hub

• 2 months later...

So time has come to buy the Titan, she fits perfectly on a 24 so that debate is done.

Except that the 2020 Titan Calypso 24 sold out country wide :(, its birthday month next month and now this. So sorry to open up the thread here again but any advice? Have access to a titan 2019 model, but that 3 by + the price is for a 2020 model is killing me. Latest out of the shops is , they(Titan) might only start delivering in October/November due to Rona. Also not much in the second hand market as well.

So time has come to buy the Titan, she fits perfectly on a 24 so that debate is done.

Except that the 2020 Titan Calypso 24 sold out country wide :(, its birthday month next month and now this. So sorry to open up the thread here again but any advice? Have access to a titan 2019 model, but that 3 by + the price is for a 2020 model is killing me. Latest out of the shops is , they(Titan) might only start delivering in October/November due to Rona. Also not much in the second hand market as well.

Have you had a look at Signal bikes? We recently went this route for a 16inch bike. Very impressed.

https://signalbikes.co.za/products/2020-starlet24-mountainbike

Best Bikes is a distributor for Signal bikes, hoepfully they can assist you.

Cyclosport in Kuilsriver is brilliant and will try to get something for you.

Not sure what Giant has in 20''.  Well worth giving Julien at Giant Durbanville a call :

zero-76 941 233-one