Aero Bike: disc or rim brakes?

Baked

It is time to add another steed to my (still modest) stable. It will be an aero road bike. I don't really want the disc version, quite content with rim brakes but I am wavering between the disc and rim options for the following reasons:

• If I choose rim brake, It will save me a couple of grand, and I can still use my current racing wheels on new bike when needed. Thus I would prefer rim.
  • BUT considering future selling of said new bike, will I struggle to get rid of it in say 2/3 years because rim brakes might have become completely phased out by that time? This is the only reason really why I would consider the disc version.

Thoughts?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some thoughts

1.Yes, you don't NEED disc brakes

2.Discs are absolutely next level on a road bike

3.You will most likely suffer more when selling a rim brake bike on in a couple e of years as

- most riders will be looking to get disc

- depending on the wheels used and sold, I'd be veru weary to buy a 2nd bike with carbon rim brake wheels

4. It will be a while still, but the time will come when upgrade options will become fewer for rim brake bikes and wheels

If I have the money now to buy a brand new bike, I would not even consider a rim bike. But, I am waiting anxiously for the price on top end rim bikes to drop. I think there will be a few bargains on the hub in a years time.

If I have the money now to buy a brand new bike, I would not even consider a rim bike. But, I am waiting anxiously for the price on top end rim bikes to drop. I think there will be a few bargains on the hub in a years time.

Ditto, disc.

Thanks, pretty much the responses I expected but still hoped for 'nah the discs won't completely take over for at least another 10 years'.

I reckon caliper bikes will become standard on weight weenie climbing bikes with discs on sprinter/gran fondo bikes.

Both will be available for another decade. Hell direct mount only came out a year or two ago.

I wouldn't be buying a rim brake bike now... Not that there is anything wrong with rim brakes, but if I was dropping major cash I wouldn't gamble that the industry will push disks so hard that rim brakes go the way of the 26" wheel...

The marketing departments are strong....

I reckon caliper bikes will become standard on weight weenie climbing bikes with discs on sprinter/gran fondo bikes.

Both will be available for another decade. Hell direct mount only came out a year or two ago.

maybe, but i suspect it will not be long until disc brake bikes are under legal weight.

in fact, i'd be surprised if there are not a few disc bikes that are under 6.8kgs

When the new range of aero bikes have disc brakes and look AMAZING (BMC, Trek, Specialized, Canyon, Cannondale, Orbea, Basso, Ridley), it's hard not to think in that direction.

Rim brakes will stay around.

Still in the early adopter phase of the market time line.

Edited by 'Dale

When the new range of aero bikes have disc brakes and look AMAZING (BMC, Trek, Specialized, Canyon, Cannondale, Orbea, Basso, Ridley), it's hard not to think in that direction.

This! Sleek sexy cableless disc bikes are HOT!

Been toying with the idea for a while now.

I have to admit disc bikes look really nice but don’t believe they will take over.

I think with Time they will find their place but no ways are rim brakes going to disappear.

Just in the process of buying a new top frame and gone with rim brakes.

Here were a few pro’s and cons why I went with rims.

1st in my decision was to try forget about all the marketing hype.

2nd the change in rim brake bikes from normal mount to Direct mount is huge.IMO there is a definite improvement so if you going rim DEFINITELY get Direct mount brakes.

Disc brake bikes are still heavy.Top disc bikes are running between 7.5-8kg( real world weight not claimed)and that’s running all top of the range equipment.

My 5 year old bike with sram red was easily under 6.5kg

If you selling a second hand road bike you going to take a bath.Doesnt matter if it’s rim or disc so I didn’t take that into the equation.Check the prices in the classifieds.One does not carry more value than the other.

Yes disc will have better braking and yes will be better on those looooong downhill mountain passes that we have so many here in SA and yet in any of the tours,the moment you have a stage with any sort of climbing,where are the disc bikes?Nowhere,not even 1% of riders choosing them.

On,y place you see them are flat stages with sprint finishes.

Every brand at the moment’s top of the range “lightweight bike is rim brake.

Sure there is going to be a huge marketing onslaught from the manufacturers but are rim brakes gone or dead.never

Disc brake bikes are still heavy.Top disc bikes are running between 7.5-8kg( real world weight not claimed)and that’s running all top of the range equipment.

You give a number if opinions as if they are fact rather than debatable points. I tend to believe you are wrong on a number but you are entitled to your opinion.

But you also make a number of statements as empirical fact which are easily proved wrong.

Here is one. Not top range, with disks, pedals and power meter, sub 7.

How much value should we give to your opinions if your facts are wrong?

post-50-0-50342000-1532272934_thumb.jpg

Edited by eddy