Trans Baviaans 2018

maidenmole

Fandacious is not a name one sees often anymore.

He is too busy playing bodyguard for his Mrs!

Flippit... anyone that's seen the Mrs wouldn't blame the man. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaah yes - "the one black shoe cover, one white shoe cover year". I think it was Chris (CVanV on the Hub) - third from the right - that got dropped early that year!

Yes it was him that dropped early.

Regarding the shoe covers, If I remember correctly, the joke that was going around was something like "white is always right"  :ph34r:

Hey Guys,

Some advice for a first timer on what to pack in the boxes? As i understand it you get 3. CP 2, 3 & 4. I would think lights in CP3 box and warm clothes in 4.

What else should I be looking at packing?

Hey Guys,

Some advice for a first timer on what to pack in the boxes? As i understand it you get 3. CP 2, 3 & 4. I would think lights in CP3 box and warm clothes in 4.

What else should I be looking at packing?

Depending how fast you go you can leave lights at 3 or 4. The checkpoints have lots of food and drinks. The crates are there should you want any specifics. Like your juice you like etc, or gels. Otherwise, your plans are spot on.

Thanks guys, so no specifics in Box 2 and 3? 

Its up to you? Usually 2 and 3 don't have much in. Maybe fresh bottles. Or chamois cream if need be.

For me, 4 is the important one. If you are a slightly slower rider, than 3 becomes more important.

If all goes according to plan we should arrive at CP4 just before 18:00 so lights would need to go into 3 and warm / dry clothes in CP4

Thanks for all the advice, looking forward to this one next week.

If all goes according to plan we should arrive at CP4 just before 18:00 so lights would need to go into 3 and warm / dry clothes in CP4

Thanks for all the advice, looking forward to this one next week.

We mostly use the boxes at CP2 and CP3 as places to store spares, should we have a disaster on the way (and we have had a few over the years). If you're picky about what you eat and drink, it's a good idea to put that stuff in those boxes too.

We typically put lights on at CP4 (although I put a small light at CP3, should we have an issue earlier), even though we often only need them going up NeverEnder.

While it is rather chilly and cold on top of Bergplaas - be careful not to overdress. Once you get down off the mountain it usually warms up, and you start pedalling again, and you suddenly find yourself getting hot. Save some warm clothes for CP5 - you're able to make a much more informed decision about what to wear based on the weather conditions.

Newby feeling confidant, pack your lights for 3,you never know what"s going to keep you back...

South Easter, buffalo , baboons, high river crossings chain suck cause you put a new chain on and didn't check the granny or only gear... :clap:

I always start the race with a helmet mounted light on. I go for this one.

xph3a-box-e1433318341663_1024x1024@2x.jp

It weighs next to nothing and is pretty powerful. You can't feel the weight on your helmet. Its my "emergency" light incase disaster strikes and you don't get to your big lights at CP4 in daylight.

Just out of interest, The squirt lube doesn't work well for wet condition wich infact its going to be from CP1 to CP4...

So this time round I am using Finish line wet lube Green bottle, I tested it at Grabouw (sa marathon champs, I think CPT dam levels went from 50% to 55% over a single weekend) and really held up well. 

Just out of interest, The squirt lube doesn't work well for wet condition wich infact its going to be from CP1 to CP4...

So this time round I am using Finish line wet lube Green bottle, I tested it at Grabouw (sa marathon champs, I think CPT dam levels went from 50% to 55% over a single weekend) and really held up well. 

My preferred wet lube:

post-275-0-32478000-1533722175_thumb.jpeg

Does DR Phil sell this....I know everyone has there own Mutty they prefer....looks like midnight oil. Just before you get into bed.

Does DR Phil sell this....I know everyone has there own Mutty they prefer....looks like midnight oil. Just before you get into bed.

Hmm - could be. It's actually called "Phil Wood's Tenacious Oil"...

The lube of choice for track riders ;)