Bikepacking the Munda Biddi: Giving it a go, mate

Desi

When we let the family know that we planned to spend three months in Australia to visit them, my brother-in-law sent us an email – ‘something to do while you’re here’ he said, and added a link to a bike trail in Western Australia. Bikepacking has been on our ‘to do’ list for a while, so we thought – right: we’ll give it a go. Of course, being typically South African, we didn’t do a two or three-day trip to try things out, we went straight to the 20-day, 1000km trip. Deep end and all. We even persuaded our friend Hans, an ex-South African now living in Australia, to join us.

Click here to view the article

Lovely story and great inspiration for local tourism bodies that have similar routes they want to grow.

One quick question, I note that your paniers are anchored to the 'seat stay' part of the rear suspension triangle. How rigid was that solution, were the clamps up the job?

Thanks again for sharing a great article.

When we let the family know that we planned to spend three months in Australia to visit them, my brother-in-law sent us an email – ‘something to do while you’re here’ he said, and added a link to a bike trail in Western Australia. Bikepacking has been on our ‘to do’ list for a while, so we thought – right: we’ll give it a go. Of course, being typically South African, we didn’t do a two or three-day trip to try things out, we went straight to the 20-day, 1000km trip. Deep end and all. We even persuaded our friend Hans, an ex-South African now living in Australia, to join us.

Click here to view the article

Living as I now am south of Perth, I have heard legends of those who ride the whole trail. Awesome story. I can't imagine I will be able to do the whole thing in one go due to time constraints but must give parts a go!

Lovely story and great inspiration for local tourism bodies that have similar routes they want to grow.

One quick question, I note that your paniers are anchored to the 'seat stay' part of the rear suspension triangle. How rigid was that solution, were the clamps up the job?

Thanks again for sharing a great article.

We found the racks worked very well. Very stable. Nigel lost one small clip that clips the bag onto the rack (you need to check that they are tight every now and again), so he had to add a strap around the bag to hold it to the rack, but other than that - absolutely no problems with the racks and panniers.

Living as I now am south of Perth, I have heard legends of those who ride the whole trail. Awesome story. I can't imagine I will be able to do the whole thing in one go due to time constraints but must give parts a go!

Give it a go - it really is worth it! PS. Non-legends can manage it too! I did.

Ummm mind blown ... panniers on a dualie ? I thought those would be a no no ?

It seemed to work; had no issues. Actually, the one behind-the-saddle bag did have some issues - it rubbed on the tyre when the suspension kicked in; Hans had to truss it up like a turkey to keep it away from the tyre. The other behind-the-saddle bag had an internal metal frame that seemed to prevent this.