K2C & e-bikes

Selous Scout (aka LegTrap)

I have recently bought an e-bike which I use once a week to ease the pressure off my back (I have had 2 spinal fusions).

I would love to do the K2C again but having queried the race organizers who have not bothered to respond,does anyone know if this is permitted ie to use an e-bike (Scott 710).

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently bought an e-bike which I use once a week to ease the pressure off my back (I have had 2 spinal fusions).

I would love to do the K2C again but having queried the race organizers who have not bothered to respond,does anyone know if this is permitted ie to use an e-bike (Scott 710).

Can't post it here now but on their Facebook page they posted (in big capital letters) that e-bikes are not allowed  (13 July)

Edited by Skubarra

Why dont they just have a separate category for ebike riders, dont really get the discriminatory nature of this, unless it is a logistical issue in that they cannot supply ebike riders with charging facilities or something along those lines.

Why dont they just have a separate category for ebike riders, dont really get the discriminatory nature of this, unless it is a logistical issue in that they cannot supply ebike riders with charging facilities or something along those lines.

The answer to that is a whole thread on its own, there are pros and cons, some races do, most races don't.

I think labeling it “discriminatory” might be a slight over reaction ;)

The answer to that is a whole thread on its own, there are pros and cons, some races do, most races don't.

"Race" is a bit of a misnomer though, lets face it most of the MTB( seems to be much more mtb events than road) stuff in SA is for cycling enthusiasts to participate ( weekend warriors if you will), and the event organisers do it for the cash that the events generate.

The sponsors do it for the exposure.

Most participants do it for the love of riding and the jol of being out there.

Would it really hurt them to have a category for ebikes.

If everyone started riding ebikes then these events would change their tune pretty smartly i reckon.

Yeah nah... I think if you drive an ebike, stick to not doing races?

The issue is if you permit ebikes, even in a different catagory, some tjop or team of tjops will use them to motopace their self propelled rider to victory or some such.... 

It's like we were all raised by Reese Bobby.... If you ain't first, you're last!

Bikes are quite weighty and will hurt someone quite badly if it falls on them and they damage the trails.

More and more trails are putting up signs banning Ebikes.

"Race" is a bit of a misnomer though, lets face it most of the MTB( seems to be much more mtb events than road) stuff in SA is for cycling enthusiasts to participate ( weekend warriors if you will), and the event organisers do it for the cash that the events generate.

The sponsors do it for the exposure.

Most participants do it for the love of riding and the jol of being out there.

Would it really hurt them to have a category for ebikes.

If everyone started riding ebikes then these events would change their tune pretty smartly i reckon.

Personally I am not a fan of e-bikes and normal bikes mixing it up at any event where they keep time (if we are not going to call it a race)

But I have to admit the events I attended where they did it was no biggie, the sky did not come crashing down after all.

I am quite happy to leave it up to individual race organisers to decide on, as long as everyone is clear about the rules upfront & stick to it.

"14.01.010    The use of electronic (E-Bikes are not permitted in any form of mountain bike events).Which are run on the same course at the same time.(Modified 01/10/2017)"

https://www.cyclingsa.com/s/20180123_CSA-Mountain-Bike-Regulations-January-2018.pdf

If it is a CSA sanctioned event, they can't have e-bikes and human powered bikes on the same course at the same time. 

"14.01.010 The use of electronic (E-Bikes are not permitted in any form of mountain bike events).Which are run on the same course at the same time.(Modified 01/10/2017)"

https://www.cyclingsa.com/s/20180123_CSA-Mountain-Bike-Regulations-January-2018.pdf

If it is a CSA sanctioned event, they can't have e-bikes and human powered bikes on the same course at the same time.

Is the K2C CSA sanctioned again? I know it hasn’t been for a few years now.

Is the K2C CSA sanctioned again? I know it hasn’t been for a few years now.

afaik it is still not sanctioned, so I guess technically they can allow it if they wanted to (like for the Dr Evil Classic)