K2C & e-bikes

Selous Scout (aka LegTrap)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What next, gravel grinders asking if they can also enter..... then the roadies who don't want to buy a gravel bike or MTB asking for the route to be manicured or even tarred so that they can enjoy the route too on their road bike?..... after all you are talking of changing the rules of a MTB event !!

line... sand !!

Edit: Novel idea.... go create your own event!!

Edited by shaper

Now we are talking solutions!

We already have our own class on Strava and compete against each other. No intention of messing up conventional cyclists times and KOMs.

No reason why we can't compete againt each other on races in our own category.

Edited by Tony datoy

E biking and cycling are not the same disciple just like road cycling is not the same as time trialing. Time trial bikes are not allowed in normal road races, why should e-bikes be allowed?

New discipline = new races. You wanna race your ebike, create your own event. If the demand is as high as e-bikers believe it to be there will be no problems in organising your own events. And I will be the first to support those events, by all means. Let's just not try and fool ourselves into thinking e-bikes are anything like normal bikes.

Ebike must pay more and ride in our own category and hour before or after the conventional mtb's

This would be the only interim solution in my opinion (until e-bikes can create their own events alltogether), and only before, not after the start of the normal race. But somehow I doubt most ebikers would be willing to start at 5am.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

e-bikes are awesome.

I often think how rad a trail e-bike would be riding jonkers.

But why on earth would you want to race? Surely you appreciate that on race day, other awesome trail centres are empty and you go and smash those?

The obsession people have with racing is ridiculous. Drive your e-bike for fun. It is rad.

It has no place at races

e-bikes are awesome.

But why on earth would you want to race? Surely you appreciate that on race day, other awesome trail centres are empty and you go and smash those?

The obsession people have with racing is ridiculous. Drive your e-bike for fun. It is rad.

It has no place at races

Exactly how I think about them. I personally would love a Spaz Kenevo with a Fox 40 on it, some 2.8 Butchers and a burly build kit. Smash up Saaltjie 5 times in a day and get in run after run of pure fun! But in an endurance race, why? The very purpose of an endurance race is to test your endurance!?

We already have our own class on Strava and compete against each other. No intention of messing up conventional cyclists times and KOMs.

No reason why we can't compete againt each other on races in our own category.

I have been following this thread since inception and honestly thought that people were pulling the p1ss, but have realised that there are genuinely people who believe that motorised vehicles should be included in human powered events.

An "e-bike" is not a bicycle - correction, it is a bicycle in the same sense that a Ducati Desmosedici is a bicycle as it has two wheels - it does not belong in an event created for people powering themselves. 

That is simple logic, the fact that the power is stored in a battery and delivered via an electric motor is no different than the power inherent in fossil fuels and delivered via an internal combustion engine and nobody is seriously suggesting that you should be allowed to do the K2C on a KTM 250 EXC.

Go and start your own races. if the demand is so big, you will make a fortune.

scrutineerIng, bike must fall within the definition of a pedelec.

So you could have two identical ebikes. One Oke has one of those small gadgets off eBay that makes the bike think it is within the 25 km/h limit, but actually increases limit to 59 km/h.

Apart from that, different specs, power, battery etc across a range of ebikes would be impossible to police and standardise

E Bikes , fast growing MTB segments in the USA and Parts of the EU.

IN SOUTH AFRICA we don’t like change ,,26 inch tires rule bla bla bla ,, 29 er are now rulers.

E bikes make it fantastic for some one that is not able to train and still ride and enjoy the country side.

E Bikes are now in the weights groups of 15,5 kg and getting less each year. FYI Heavy riders on a light bike = heavy overall weight.

Not every one is 25 years old, some are older like me and for me to get to see the country side and do a few races ,,I realy don’t give a hoot if I can’t get “Podium” finish I just ride for the love of it. What sport could exempt my type ..

be considerate and understanding.

In my cycling Mtb club after aksing who’s going to get a E BIKE - I was shocked to see that quite a few person plan their next bike to be a E Bike and it was not only the old chaps like me but strong younger riders.

What this space all you “scared of change “

Thank you.

IN SOUTH AFRICA we don’t like change ,,26 inch tires rule bla bla bla ,, 29 er are now rulers.

E bikes make it fantastic for some one that is not able to train and still ride and enjoy the country side.

E Bikes are now in the weights groups of 15,5 kg and getting less each year. FYI Heavy riders on a light bike = heavy overall weight.

Not every one is 25 years old, some are older like me and for me to get to see the country side and do a few races ,,I realy don’t give a hoot if I can’t get “Podium” finish I just ride for the love of it. What sport could exempt my type ..

In my cycling Mtb club after aksing who’s going to get a E BIKE - I was shocked to see that quite a few person plan their next bike to be a E Bike and it was not only the old chaps like me but strong younger riders.

Thank you.

Not scared of change at a boss. As the guys above have said, nothing wrong with ebikes having events. Just doesn’t make sense to have motorised vehicles mixing with pedal powered vehicles in the same event

Thank you.

Enjoying the country side is very different to entering a race

By all means, drive the e-bike all over the country side, but why is there a need to enter races when you clearly aren't racing?

Nah... 

What sport could exempt my type ..

There is no fear of technology change. Pedal assist is nothing new, I used to ride my mate's "help-my-trap" to school  30 years ago. 

What we all have to fear is the entitlement of victim groups defined by the identity politics of the post-modernism. "I am an e-biker, all truth is relative, things are what I say they are, I define a powered vehicle as a bicycle, and you are discriminating against me by not agreeing with my definition and thus allowing me to participate in organised bicycle races.

e-bikes are awesome.

It has no place at races

if toyed with this idea alot and always come back to " yeah it would be awesome to pump out multiple runs like that , but do i really want to change my whole riding style to learn to brake and handle A bike thats pretty much double the weight of the average enduro bike "