Could Basso be riding 4 Barloworld????

101%

"I am also able to join with a non-ProTour project, with fixed technical and economic guarantees," continued Basso, who has considered Barloworld, directed by Claudio Corti. The risk is that a non-ProTour team is at the mercy of the Grand Tour organizers to be offered a wild card selection for the Tour de France or Giro. Basso continues, "The setup is interesting because in three years Barloworld could become strong like CSC."

If Basso is to sign for a ProTour team it is likely to be Lance Armstrong's old team run by Johan Bruyneel, Discovery Channel. The team showed interest in Ivan Basso in the last years but the Italian, instead, chose to renew with Riis' CSC. The American team, which saw to Armstrong's seven Tour de France victories, could be the only team to accommodate Basso's economic needs.ShockedShockedShocked

yes, I also just saw this. would be very good for Barloworld and Basso may even come to SA - imagine watching him in the giro del capo!!!

" The risk is that a non-ProTour team is at the mercy of the Grand Tour organizers to be offered a wild card selection for the Tour de France or Giro. "

Of course with Basso on a team, the Grand Tour organisers would almost certainly award that team wildcard entries.... I think the real queastion is wether a team like TBL, or any other of its size, would be able to handle the logistics of a rider like Basso. Paying his salary would not be the only financial constarint. They would also have to carry the cost of hiring the correct support team (riders and staff) as well as catering for a potential tour winner's training and racing schedule.

Maybe TBL has real deep pockets? But even so, buying the riders and staff doesn't gaurantee anything... Remember Coast?

You know its funny this thought had actually crossed my mind this morning....either way for the time beings it just more publicity for Barlo.

Plus it will be their only chance of getting into the Giro.

He's still got a big cloud over his head...

Wasn't there some rumours that Robyy H would join Barlow world as well.

Maybe they are in negotiations with the pro tour organizers to finalize those two contracts. Maybe Basso will sign with a "smaller"  team then he can call the shots.

Hmmm, maybe I'm wrong, but i don't think Barloworld would be able to afford him. And even if they do, some of the other big teams would be able to beat them.

Basso just want's to get his paws on a System SixLOL

On a more serious note, Barloworld was good enough for the likes of Astarloa, so would be able to cope with Basso as well...

Imagine John-Lee Augustyn's awesome stroke of good fortune should Basso sign to ride on a good bike!!!!

It would be a big risk for him, as it is unlikely that any non-Protour team he rides for will be invited to the Tour de France, and if ASO are able to exert pressure on RCS and Unipublic then Barloworld will be left with a big salaried rider and no wildcards.

Jan Ullrich has announced his withdrawal from the Swiss Cycling federation, effective immediately. Ullrich wrote. "I have no more trust in them. This withdrawal does not mean that I am ending my career -- I have contacted other cycling federations concerning a license for 2007."

Now Imagine this...

Jan gets a South African Racing License and Joins Basso at Barloworld...

well its a round-about.....you need a big sponsor to pay a big rider, you get a big rider and the sponsors hop on board....

Remember when they signed ex world champ Astarloa, Valsir vame along and paid him.....

yes its unlikey, but you know Italians.....

Barloworld is a big organisation with a lot of money but we will need DeBeer's to step in if we want to afford Ullrich, Basso and Hunter.