Cyclist shot at cradle...

sunchaser

i'd love to hear from the victim about the circumstances.

did he just get shot unexpectedly? did he try ride away from the threat?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Day to all Conserv Clients, Community Members, Tourist Industries, Emergency and Security Service providers, SAPS, Cycle Clubs,Members of the Press and The WHS MA. Regarding the shooting of a Cyclist on Saturday morning on the Kromdraai road in the Cradle Of Humankind WHS, you are cordially invited to attend an Urgent Meeting tomorrow evening Tuesday 14th August 2018 at Engedi on the N14 in Protea Ridge North (COHWHS) for 19h00 to discuss an initiative to upgrade security for both Tourists and Resident of the Cradle and surrounds. Regards Trevor Roberts

Just got this via WhatsApp. 

We do not bring that much revenue to these small, family owned businesses. They already have to cater for extra security to secure our bikes. You may recall we did some basic napkin math to secure just the Bidon parking area, and it was expensive. Bidon won't even break even on the R20 parking fee.

The Cradle has a few access points via vehicle, but on foot, there is far too much area to cover. Some ADT type patrols may help, but don't think it is monetarily feasible as the population density of the area is so low.

They might not break even on the parking, but they need secure parking to keep driving consumers to their revenue generator, coffee and food.

Many companies have loss leaders.

I’m not saying they must look after the cyclists, Im saying that it might be in their longer term interest to do so. Again this isn’t “THE” solution, it’s “A” solution.

This idea that we must alsways do “this OR that” needs to urgently to change to we must do “this AND that”!

Those that can make it to the meeting tomorrow, please update the Thread on what gets decided.

I would go, but unfortunately it’s not possible.

They might not break even on the parking, but they need secure parking to keep driving consumers to their revenue generator, coffee and food.

Many companies have loss leaders.

I’m not saying they must look after the cyclists, Im saying that it might be in their longer term interest to do so. Again this isn’t “THE” solution, it’s “A” solution.

This idea that we must alsways do “this OR that” needs to urgently to change to we must do “this AND that”!

Agree, and as I said earlier I think it will be much more efficient and sustainable long term if it can be an integrated effort between the various communities (residents, tourism, runners, cyclists etc) and not just cyclists trying to do there own thing on weekends.

I will try make it if I can finish up with work early enough. Will take note of the main points.

Any news on the victim? No more info on the actual attack?

Nice one! Thanks for being part of the solution ????????

I only cycle in the Cradle and we are normally 2 to 4 riders. We often cycle up "Ou Tannie se bult" This is absolutely sickening! We drove past the accident scene yesterday after our ride, also saw the two policemen standing there. I hope the cyclist has a speedy recovery. Thank you to all involved in helping a fellow cyclist.  

I hope a solution can be brainstormed at the meeting tomorrow. I will try my best to attend the meeting.

I am more than willing to make a contribution on a ride to contribute to some sort of security measure and I am sure most cyclists feel the same way. Maybe a Cradle annual fee? If you cycle 6 months a year on a Saturday and Sunday it will work out to be R360 pp per year.

Another idea is to have organized rides from Bidon that are not affiliated with any club. There could be a starting time every hour between 7 and 12 on a Saturday and Sunday. Anyone can join on the hour,  and there could possibly be 3 different groups: beginner / intermediate and advanced. I see lots of ladies cycling and running alone in the Cradle. 

We need to be more vigilant. Days are long gone that you train alone.

Another idea is to have organized rides from Bidon that are not affiliated with any club. There could be a starting time every hour between 7 and 12 on a Saturday and Sunday. Anyone can join on the hour,  and there could possibly be 3 different groups: beginner / intermediate and advanced. I see lots of ladies cycling and running alone in the Cradle. 

We need to be more vigilant. Days are long gone that you train alone.

I like this idea, and it should be easy to implement.

Does it make a difference?

yes i think so.

maybe his story can teach us something.

maybe he ran, and was then shot.

or 

maybe he didn't run and still got shot.

we can learn a lot from both as to the best form of action or non-action to take.

Edited by Furbz

yes i think so.

or 

we can learn a lot from both as to the best form of action or non-action to take.

The problem is you are really at the mercy and mood of your attacker.  There has been so many instance and they are generally not the same.  Guys have simply been shot in the back with no warning.  Others were knocked off and then shot or stabbed.  Others just handed everything over and still got stabbed or shot and then there are the lucky ones how did not get hurt.  It is all in the prevention at this is becomming more and more difficult.

Yeah, saw that but it just doesn't look like that area from all the pics I've seen on social media??

Its the cradle entrance at the lonely roa

R540

Oaktree, Krugersdorp, 1747

-26.021260, 27.767746

yes i think so.

or 

It depends on the circumstances. When I was hijacked they immediately started to attack me without asking for anything, If i did not fight back and manage to disarm the one with sharpened screwdriver things would have been very different. You also cannot expect others to get involved, in my case there was a group of workers that witnessed what was happening but chose not to get involved. 

Given the exact location, I wonder if he was not off his bike for some reason. Stopping on that stretch of road would make a cyclist far more of a target.