Cyclist shot at cradle...

sunchaser

I work for a South African company.

I left for Denmark without a job.

I ran my own business in South Africa.

You're zero for three - wanna try some more assuming?

You left for a lady and love?

What do I win? Am I right? Am I ?  :D  

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from all the BS going on above here, i hope his recovery is swift and he is back cycling again soon.

Second point, for the first time i am considering the pros and cons of protection while cycling. I can not believe that carrying a weapon will make me/other cyclists bigger targets. BUT we all need to be very aware of our surroundings. If something looks wrong, get out of there. It would be nice to have some more info around the incident itself, but gone are the days where you can be carefree on the roads.

Other option is to buy the biggest hunk of junk and go cycling on the roads on that. Save the race bike for races, do not pose and show off you brand and wallet size. Training on a training bike set up correctly can only be slightly less effective than the awesomeness of a flash bike.

am keen to hear what the meeting yielded as far as improving safety is concerned. PLease will someone update us.

I couldn't make it due to work commitments. Anyone else go?

In truth, the best way to put an end to (or at least minimise) this kind of issue is to require that bicycle manufacturers embed a metal tag with the serial number of the bicycle in the frame of the bicycle and then to make it a criminal offence to possess a bicycle manufactured after a certain date which does not have such tag or in respect of which such tag has been altered. Perhaps something similar could be done with a holographic label or the like of the kind that cannot be removed or altered without effectively destroying it. It is possible to lobby politically to get such legislation passed. It's already a criminal offence to receive stolen goods. What then remains is a centralised publicly accessible national database of stolen bicycles, something which could also be the subject of such legislation and could be administered by one of the cycling associations (or possibly an association set up specifically for that purpose).

Outside of the foregoing, I don't think there is much hope of controlling the issue. The problem is that every stolen bicycle ultimately has a purchaser somewhere.

In truth, the best way to put an end to (or at least minimise) this kind of issue is to require that bicycle manufacturers embed a metal tag with the serial number of the bicycle in the frame of the bicycle and then to make it a criminal offence to possess a bicycle manufactured after a certain date which does not have such tag or in respect of which such tag has been altered. Perhaps something similar could be done with a holographic label or the like of the kind that cannot be removed or altered without effectively destroying it. It is possible to lobby politically to get such legislation passed. It's already a criminal offence to receive stolen goods. What then remains is a centralised publicly accessible national database of stolen bicycles, something which could also be the subject of such legislation and could be administered by one of the cycling associations (or possibly an association set up specifically for that purpose).

Outside of the foregoing, I don't think there is much hope of controlling the issue. The problem is that every stolen bicycle ultimately has a purchaser somewhere.

It's a great idea, and (in an ideal world) could work. But (and not to be too negative), I think our country's politicians are far more concerned about issues that will get them a lot of votes, and less interested in principles and ideals. It's wrong, but its just a reality.

I think it's up to each one of us (as cyclists and consumers of cycling gear) to be on the look out for stuff that might have been stolen, and to raise the alarm bells (LOUDLY) when this is the case. I buy (and sell) stuff from the Classifieds often, but always make the effort to find out EXACTLY why the seller is selling. If it's too good to be true, then ...

Plenty people asking - any news on Jim and how he's doing?

And any news on the meeting last night?

thing is they can attack a cyclist for his :

watch

wallet

cellphone, etc

not only the bike.

it is criminal theft and sadly so violent. you not gonna stop it- south africa is one of the most dangerous places on earth to live.

I think it's up to each one of us (as cyclists and consumers of cycling gear) to be on the look out for stuff that might have been stolen, and to raise the alarm bells (LOUDLY) when this is the case. I buy (and sell) stuff from the Classifieds often, but always make the effort to find out EXACTLY why the seller is selling. If it's too good to be true, then ...

something doesnt look right with that if GP isnt on there.

I think that is about right. Cape Town has a ton of gang related violence - Durban has the tribal/hostel/political violence thing going on.

Both are well beyond Jhb in terms of deaths.

Edit: Jhb was in the top 50 in 2015 but dropped out in 2016....

http://www.2oceansvibe.com/2018/03/08/shock-as-cape-town-beats-johannesburg-to-top-15-worlds-most-violent-cities-list-jozi-not-even-in-top-50/

Edited by Eldron

It's also important to note that this list is based on murder rates in the traditional sense ie: it excludes conflict zones.

Once you take that list and conflict zones into account you'll realise that making  statements like "most dangerous place on earth to live" is plain old wrong. 

Of course these types of events are emotive but running around telling stories like Chicken Little does more damage than good.

Good Day to all Conserv Clients, Community Members, Tourist Industries, Emergency and Security Service providers, SAPS, Cycle Clubs,Members of the Press and The WHS MA. Regarding the shooting of a Cyclist on Saturday morning on the Kromdraai road in the Cradle Of Humankind WHS, you are cordially invited to attend an Urgent Meeting tomorrow evening Tuesday 14th August 2018 at Engedi on the N14 in Protea Ridge North (COHWHS) for 19h00 to discuss an initiative to upgrade security for both Tourists and Resident of the Cradle and surrounds. Regards Trevor Roberts

How did this meeting go - Anyone have feedback?

(Really wanted to go through but was unable to make it.)