Cyclist shot at cradle...

sunchaser

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

72c7dd34960c01ac03f6136626ed7ecd.jpg

Saw a cycling past my bus stop like this last week, first reaction was I must get a photo for da hub. Only diffs was he had shorts and slops on...seriously

Unfortunately he was to far away by the time i got it out (phone)

Edited by SwissVan

Agree.

RFiD won't be a solution.  It does not work inside metal/carbon, and even when placed against it on the outside it is still a bit of hit and miss.

I have no knowledge of the tech... however, I leave my racetec chip permanently cable tied onto my fork. Can this tech not be rolled out or evolved?

In truth, the best way to put an end to (or at least minimise) this kind of issue is to require that bicycle manufacturers embed a metal tag with the serial number of the bicycle in the frame of the bicycle and then to make it a criminal offence to possess a bicycle manufactured after a certain date which does not have such tag or in respect of which such tag has been altered. Perhaps something similar could be done with a holographic label or the like of the kind that cannot be removed or altered without effectively destroying it. It is possible to lobby politically to get such legislation passed. It's already a criminal offence to receive stolen goods. What then remains is a centralised publicly accessible national database of stolen bicycles, something which could also be the subject of such legislation and could be administered by one of the cycling associations (or possibly an association set up specifically for that purpose).

Outside of the foregoing, I don't think there is much hope of controlling the issue. The problem is that every stolen bicycle ultimately has a purchaser somewhere.

I always wonder what these thieves know about a R100k Road/TT/MTB bike when they nick one and how the hell they fence it because some of the bikes(especially in that price bracket) are unique to the owner and would stick out like a sore thumb if they tried to sell them anywhere.

I always wonder what these thieves know about a R100k Road/TT/MTB bike when they nick one and how the hell they fence it because some of the bikes(especially in that price bracket) are unique to the owner and would stick out like a sore thumb if they tried to sell them anywhere.

I have heard a couple stories of okes splitting up the high-end bikes and flogging the parts separately maybe something to be aware of when surfing the classifieds.

Got this via WhatsApp from one of my triclub members:

14 Aug 2018: Some information from Cradle meeting / Conserv Security after shooting incident and numerous other incidents relating to visitors in Cradle

Immediate Action plan by Conserv Security & Concerns

Objective is to improve Cradle security and visibility in area to create safe area for community and visitors (cyclists, runners, tourists) 
Will add signage with 24hour emergency contact number all over cradle area

A response vehicle in area branded “the tourists friend” with first aid personnel on board 

CCTV footage in strategic places in and around cradle area with License Plate Recognition 

SAPS to be more visible over weekends

Social media communications platforms including FB, WhatsApp Groups etc

Draw up SLA’s with Emergency services and SAPS

Seek funding and sponsorships from public, tourist industry and cycling fraternities.  

Inform Cradle community when there’s races in Cradle

Possible fee in future to assist with costs in area ( possibly cyclists as well). 

Conserv Emergency Call in : 0836551315 and 0834546528.   WhatsApp : 0834880400

Don’t cycle alone and try to be more than 2 

Report suspicious activities asap

A FB page will be created by Cradle Community 

There’s an App called My SOS that everyone must download for cyclists / runners - Very user friendly.  

Cradle Community to engage with cycling clubs with changes and plans in the area.

Saw First 4 women vehicles and cops on the road on Sat as well. Did not see the Carte Blanche episode but my mate seems to think the police put their head in the sand a bit, I am pretty sure thieves are getting better at pricing bikes. All the info is out there (cycle lab brochures and the web in general) and they will recognize brands and how the person is dressed, tech on the bike etc. But in general it is an opportunist event and we are all targets.

Edit on who has their head in the sand after seeing video below. And good to hear Jim is home.

Edited by LongDonkey

What can we as cyclists do to try and make the Cradle a safer place to cycle? I am prepared to contribute and assist in any sensible initiatives!