King Price R1 Bike Insurance

Grease_Monkey

Quite a cool offer from King Price, if you insure your car with them you can add a bicycle at a fee of R1. 

I just moved my car over and am paying roughly the same as I did with the old insurer, but obviously now I have the bike insured there too. I have my main bike insured with CycleSure - that's gonna stay there, have added the wife's bike to King Price policy as we could never swallow paying R400 a month additionally for her bike with the amount of use she gets from it. 

Something to consider for those paying a bunch for bike insurance every month. I have no idea how good they are with bicycle related claims, but the way I see it I can take the chance because it is a bike that wasn't insured to begin with.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Synopsis - it's as good as the price. Really not up to scratch vs the other more reputable brands.

But hey. If you understand what you're covered for and you weren't covered before, lekka. Just make sure to read the terms and conditions.

I thought it would be like that - but that's why I'm keeping my bike at CycleSure. At least this is a bike that previously had no cover.

This has been around for a few years. I had a frame crack whilst being insured with them. (R40k was paid out after just 5 premiums was paid ie. R5) 

They only do the R1 deal for bikes up to 50k, thus not with them anymore but it is legit for sure.

This has been around for a few years. I had a frame crack whilst being insured with them. (R40k was paid out after just 5 premiums was paid ie. R5) 

They only do the R1 deal for bikes up to 50k, thus not with them anymore but it is legit for sure.

Oh, okay that makes some sense now. The guy kept telling me the max they can do for that bike is 50k, I thought it was just for that make/model - at least the full replacement value of the bike is only slightly more.

How did they handle the cracked frame incident - was it hassle free or did you have to fight for it? Had one with CycleSure this year, and they paid out pretty quickly and without hassle.

Oh, okay that makes some sense now. The guy kept telling me the max they can do for that bike is 50k, I thought it was just for that make/model - at least the full replacement value of the bike is only slightly more.

How did they handle the cracked frame incident - was it hassle free or did you have to fight for it? Had one with CycleSure this year, and they paid out pretty quickly and without hassle.

Took a while, like 3.5 weeks.

Sent their claims consultant to my house who asked me like a 100 questions, phoned guys I trained with, eye witnesses the works. 

Long story short,no you have to fight for it, but if it's a legit claim they don't have a foot to stand on and have to pay out.

I moved from king price after loving this deal for a while, I hated their business practice and decided to shop around... Total saving of around 400 per month, including two bikes, cars, camp trailer, some jewelry and electronics, etc.... Went with a broker and saved a bunch! Will never insure with king price again...

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse us!  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Took a while, like 3.5 weeks.

Sent their claims consultant to my house who asked me like a 100 questions, phoned guys I trained with, eye witnesses the works. 

Long story short,no you have to fight for it, but if it's a legit claim they don't have a foot to stand on and have to pay out.

Not ideal... but good to know, thanks!

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse us!  :whistling:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Nowadays 50k ain't 50k no more in terms of new bikes, just have a walk around in Cyclelab..

Not sure it's R50k limit any longer. Friend recently had a R115k claim on his bike and they paid in full. 

Not sure it's R50k limit any longer. Friend recently had a R115k claim on his bike and they paid in full. 

The 50k limit applies to the R1 deal. You can insure a bike of any amount with them, but then it's a policy on it's own.