[Event] Masgcor Cederberg100Miler 1-day Race

Gravel Travel Events

Does anyone perhaps have the gpx file for the 2019 route?

Thanks

I constructed one some time ago, using the previous ride for the last part and manually plotting the newer first part. Think it might be on my PC at work. I'll have a look tomorrow and post it here if I find it. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you ????

if you didn’t get it yet pop me a message with your email address & I’ll forward it to you.

3 Days left to get your entries in. The Majestic Cederberg is calling Your Name!

I tried to enter yesterday and today and it says entries are closed? Website doesn't mention a closing date...

I tried to enter yesterday and today and it says entries are closed? Website doesn't mention a closing date...

thats strange I’ll find out in the morning & let you know.

thats strange I’ll find out in the morning & let you know.

Hi Guys

Yes, entries have closed as we reached almost full capacity. We can still allow Race entries (1-day), but not Trek (2-day). So, if you want to do the Race (1-day) on Sunday 7 April, please send me an email to ellanevanwyk@gmail.com. Just note that late entries will unfortunately not receive a goody bag.

See post from the organizer, you'll have to do a manual entry via email.

• 2 weeks later...

So, why did nobody give a report yet, bodies to sore to type?

This was one of the hardest races I have ever done.

My body is definitely still sore. But damn just no time to write a report. how about you go first?

Well done!

My body is definitely still sore. But damn just no time to write a report. how about you go first?

Well done!

Mine is short,

I started bleeding at 5km and it continued for the next 155. The end.

hi guys, has anyone ridden this on a gravel bike? 

ja. oom Klaas from Heuningvlei would go visit tannie Miems in Kleinvlei every sonday on his peugeout from nineteen voetsek. It was stock original, with all parts unchanged since it rolled out the shopfloor. While this would normally get your garden variety hipster frothing wilder than a bokbaard dripping with moccachino, the years and miles in the koue bokkeveled showed. The saddle was on it's fourth or fifth life and only because offcuts from the velskoen factory were easy to source in this part of the world. The rest of the bike was, as even proud Klaas would admit, "moertoe".

The frontwheel got a klap one starless night in a ditch that came out of nowhere and went almost as skeef as the back one. He had to take the only brakes off it and instead used the tekkie stop maneuver to slow down.

This seemed to be acceptable until he visited his cousin Augustus in Wupperthal one friday.

It's a steep, steep road down the Kouberg pass into this valley, but he forgot exactly how steep. Once he got past 50km/h the bike developed a wobble that made it look like a magimix churning cake dough for the church fair.

He ended up doing what looked like a peter sagan aerotuck the whole way down, but only because he slipped off a pedal and couldn't get off the top tube, gripping the handlebars like the village brak with the last bone from sunday roast.

Needless to say, he flew straight past the gemeenskapsaal with an even mix of praying and vloeking and only came to a rest once he vaulted the bank into the Troe-Troe river. It seemed like the entire village came to inspect the damage, but once Klass remembered who he was and where he was it turned to celebration of a famous near miss and a faithful bike that was now so mangled that the only salvageable part was the bell.

seriously okes, where are the real stories? this one is so on my bucketlist.

I learned many lessons yesterday. 

The short : This was the toughest Cederberg 100 miler. I'd go so far as to say Pieter finally found a route that is as challenging (if not more so) than the Transkaroo. I will definitely be back and wonder if Pieter will alternate the direction next time round?

Sadly by the chatter I picked up people were not too happy about all of this. I hope this won't negatively affect the event.

The long : Tuesday on the commute home I had to go off the sidewalk for a group of pedestrians talking so loud and walking 4 abreast. As luck would have it I hit a patch of thorns, the rest of the way home various of these start to get pulled out and sealant sprays me, then seals the hole. All seemed well after that.

Friday on the commute home I'm in a hurry and decide to take a shortcut 100m from home. I overlook a speedbump and come down hard on tarmac. Bruised and bleeding I make it home. Saturday I straighten the steering, fit new grips and bar-ends. Testing out the bike I see the RD got damage and shifts are out. An hour of tinkering I get it working as good as I can. We load up and head to Clanwilliam.

On arrival my rear wheel is flat. I inflate it and go for a spin and all seems well.  Sunday morning it is still rock hard so I line up for the start and we're off. 

I like the climb at the start, it is very long so you have distance to cover that big initial climb of the day. Things did tricky on the Heuningvlei trail, but I enjoyed it. Speeding down to Wuppertal the rear starts letting off more sealant. The town looks devastated, green leaves at the top of palm trees while the rest of the tree lower down is still charred. A colourful jungle gym stands next to a burned down school building. People making there way to church. After a quick stop at the water point you are greeted one of the most brutal climbs out there.

Because I was so concerned about my rear wheel getting flatter I remember very little about that climb, but it was by no means an easy climb. I make it Eselbank riding on the rim basically. I do have spare tube and decide that is the only logical way forward. Unfortunately I have been riding with it on long distance events for years and it perished. Holding air is not what it feels like doing after all these years. 

I give up and make peace with my fate. At the same time a guy named Andrew was talking to the medics about a bug that hit his wife earlier the week and he woke up not feeling well today. They seems to come to the consensus that he should also bail. Then he turns to me and says "Hey, if you want you can finish on my bike". 

We exchange details and talk about the bike setups for a while, it matches well enough and I'm off. From here on I know pretty much what to expect. The road to where we turn onto the Kromrivier road is daunting but nothing to serious. I make to Kromriver - awesome water points all the way - this one is no exception. Feeling refreshed I take on the climb out of Kromrivier - it passes sooner than I anticipated. 

The long slog to the top of Uitkyk took much longer than I'd hope for, head wind did not make it any easier. At least it is tarred till the paved turn. I go as fast as I can using as little energy as possible. Algeria was a sight for sore eyes and I fill my bottles yet again. By that time I realised I have finished so many bottles and not once had to pee.

Working back to Clanwilliam was mostly downs with some rollers to break your stride and intensify the cramps. Almost at the T junction I see Pieter coming from the front, we stop and have a chat, I am reminded coming up is the last climb. I make it and then were on this trails that we would have gone out with on the first 100 miler in 2015, but now going down it. 

About 3km from the finish there is this guy lying in the road making weird sounds. I try to talk to him and eventually he starts to make sense. "What do you have on you? Gels? Pills? Fluid?" I give him the last half a bottle of Enduren I have on me. With give I mean I literally open the tip and put the bottle in his mouth. Feeding him back to sanity. I ask if I can help him up and he is making more sense now. "How far" he asks. "Less than 3km" I reply. "Good, I have 2 hours for that" - OK I now know he's good to go. 

That cold wet towel at the end was soooo good. 

Well done to all the organisers - thanks again for unforgettable memories and lessons. 

Edited by Rouxenator