• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this work with any garmin watch?

No.

The device must be NFC enabled.

The Frontrunner could not do it, so when it was replaced under warrantee I upgraded to the VivioActive.

In terms of security, worth noting:

- when you click on the Pay icon, you need to enter a 4 digit pin on the phone.  You this ONCE in 24 hours, or when the watch was removed from your wrist.  (I do this before I enter a store)

- select the Pay app on the watch, and tap like you would with a card.  Your wrist vibrates, and the app closes, no chance of a double tap ...

- the first time at most machines it asks for your standard card pin.  The next time you tap at the same place it mostly does not ask for the card pin.  Larger amounts typically does ask for the card pin.

- the app is linked to your CARD ... so when the card is replaced you set up the new card details on the Garmin device.

Initially this was meant as a nice to have for when buying a mid ride coffee .... turns out I now use this for most of my purchases.

• 2 weeks later...

So it will work for larger amounts, the terminal will just ask for my card PIN?

Some fruit and bread and Woolworths hardly comes in under R1000 these days so don't want to switch banks from ABSA if it will only work to R100 or something.

But otherwise I will switch banks now, ABSA has had enough time.

I've had it twice now where I go to pay and suddenly my garmin doesn't have the card details stored anymore. Not sure what happens, but it only needs to happen twice to break my faith in it completely.

I have NFC in my phone and use FNB pay that way - no issues with forgetting card details yet.

I've had it twice now where I go to pay and suddenly my garmin doesn't have the card details stored anymore. Not sure what happens, but it only needs to happen twice to break my faith in it completely.

I have NFC in my phone and use FNB pay that way - no issues with forgetting card details yet.

Thanks for the feedback. I have the bee in bonnet right now to make a plan because it seems all my digital life choices have been wrong

- ABSA living in the past with no Garmin Pay

- Vodacom completely uncompetitive and terrible network experience for me

- iPhone with closed NFC system and no Apple Pay because South Africa is not a main market

Allot of admin but it seems I need to go MTN, FNB and Samsung because they take the SA market seriously and will open up options like tap to pay with the phone, dual sim etc.

Thanks for the feedback. I have the bee in bonnet right now to make a plan because it seems all my digital life choices have been wrong

- iPhone with closed NFC system and no Apple Pay because South Africa is not a main market

Allot of admin but it seems I need to go MTN, FNB and Samsung because they take the SA market seriously and will open up options like tap to pay with the phone, dual sim etc.

Some personal accounts:

- YES, ABSA is CRAPSA! FNB is fine, a niggle here and there but they usually sort their stuff out quickly.

-Put a Rain simcard in that 2nd sim slot of yours, their coverage is continually improving and the other networks can't get close on data pricing. I still use Vodacom for my "main" sim card, but I have it on prepaid, so I spend very little on it each month. MTN as you "Main" simcard should be fine.

-Samsung is good, but look at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 or other Xiaomi variants, very good phones at very good prices. Battery Life on the Redmi Note phones is incredible! Pretty decent cameras too.

So, having just moved to Ireland we got a notification from our bank about using apple pay. 

We now have apple pay and google pay on our phones respectively. It works wonders, never need a card except for when filling up with petrol. 

Surely the banks in SA have this function or is it still being implemented? I never looked into it when we were in SA. 

I am not on Samsung. I've got an LG - LG pay doesn't work in our market, which would be epic as the LG can replicate magnetic cards as well. Old phone was a Nokia. So I've come to the conclusion, if you have NFC in your phone, and the FNB app, you can use your phone to pay.

Works a charm too. :) Cashier reaction is the same as to when I was using my garmin, so you're not even losing there.

FNB - they aren't bad, they have their own crap though, I haven't banked with Absa in my adult life though, so can't really comment there.

Vodascum, I'm forced as I'm not sure of the coverage of the rest and MTN keeps getting billing mistakes. Voda has issues, but no billing issues that I've experienced. Also, if you're on MTN and bank with Absa it seems like you're in higher danger of getting your account hacked - this was true a couple of years back, not sure if this is still the case.

So it will work for larger amounts, the terminal will just ask for my card PIN?

Some fruit and bread and Woolworths hardly comes in under R1000 these days so don't want to switch banks from ABSA if it will only work to R100 or something.

But otherwise I will switch banks now, ABSA has had enough time.

I tested it on a purchase of over R2k, it worked perfectly.

PETROL ... been paying all my petrol purchases with Garmin Pay.

Thus far it has worked flawlessly .... that said, got a message from FNB that their credit cards did not work somewhere during the weekend ... during this period Garmin Pay (linked to that credit card) would not have worked.

FNB vs ABSA .... A few years back Absa went partially the call centre route .... their service took a DIVE !! I moved my business account to FNB and was very happy with their service ... on par with the old Absa. About 2 or 3 years ago FNB started moving over to a call centre model .... resolving issues is now an absolute nightmare. Thankfully I only have had 1 issue in the last 2 years.

I do think (just my own experience) that the FNB systems is better than that of Absa.

With most banks going the call centre route, and new banks exclusively call centre based, I guess us ou toppies just need to adapt ..

So, having just moved to Ireland we got a notification from our bank about using apple pay. 

We now have apple pay and google pay on our phones respectively. It works wonders, never need a card except for when filling up with petrol. 

Surely the banks in SA have this function or is it still being implemented? I never looked into it when we were in SA. 

Tap to pay will increase in popularity/usability over time. A big issue was most stores had cc terminals which did not support NFC. This is why ABSA pay on a Samsung was popular initially - Samsung could replicate the magnetic strip on a card, so even an older terminal was supported.

As terminals are replaced/upgraded to NFC, it becomes possible to tap to pay

Tap to pay will increase in popularity/usability over time. A big issue was most stores had cc terminals which did not support NFC. This is why ABSA pay on a Samsung was popular initially - Samsung could replicate the magnetic strip on a card, so even an older terminal was supported.

As terminals are replaced/upgraded to NFC, it becomes possible to tap to pay

Our pharmacy had a basic card reader system, they upgraded to NFC enabled two months ago.

Currently just one point of sale in our list that does not accept "tap to pay".

Industry is adapting to this. More so after lock down, with a very drastic increase in this form of payment.

In my experience, you need to ensure your tap limit is high enough. I had an expensive visit to the bike shop for a service around R2500 I believe, and when I tried to tap my watch it was not keen. I soon got a call from Investec checking it was me and asking the usual security questions and I asked them to increase my tap limit. I have had no problems since. 

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience, you need to ensure your tap limit is high enough. I had an expensive visit to the bike shop for a service around R2500 I believe, and when I tried to tap my watch it was not keen. I soon got a call from Investec checking it was me and asking the usual security questions and I asked them to increase my tap limit. I have had no problems since. 

R2500 to replace a rear gear cable?

I always have my phone with me and use snapscan or zapper often .Tried the Garmin ,but could not get it working .Will try with Investec card again