Basic lights and Decent Locks

Swany05

Hey Guys

So ill be looking at starting a commute from next week and im looking for a basic light setup, one that will make me slightly more visible to people in vehicles and can be removed from the bike when locked up.

I'm looking for self contained units that could be charged via usb (If no usb its not the end of the world) The front does not need to be a million lumens as i wont be riding in the dead of darkness. The rear needs to be able to flash (As i think most of them do) and needs a sturdy mount. 

As for locks im looking for a U-type lock combined with a cable to link the wheels whilst its locked up, i have seen some on takealot etc but would prefer to walk into a shop and walk out with kit as apposed to ordering online. 

Any recommendations? 

I'd get some of the marvel lights from CWC as opposed to Extreme Lights.
From my own experience the extreme lights have better batteries and brighter lights, but at a cost, while the marvel lights are well priced for rechargeable lights and the lumen output is sufficient for riding in the dark (tested on road only so far), more so simply to be seen.

Edited by Dirkitech

We use these Abus rubber covered locks. It has a sturdy thick steel cable inside but the soft rubber makes it frame friendly. It locks with a key. It is just long enough to tie the frame, rear and front wheels together around a pole (front wheel removed of course). Found them at Olympic Cycles in Cape Town, but I'm sure most bike stores can get them. 

post-17716-0-31437800-1535557190_thumb.jpg

If you're still looking for a rechargeable front light, see if you can find a Blackburn Flea somewhere.

It's more of a light to make you be seen by cars, than for you to see by. But it's small, USB rechargeable and the flasher mode is excellent.

If you're still looking for a rechargeable front light, see if you can find a Blackburn Flea somewhere.

It's more of a light to make you be seen by cars, than for you to see by. But it's small, USB rechargeable and the flasher mode is excellent.

I have one and it's brilliant for its size.

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. 

I went to Cycle hub the other day as i couldnt decide on which lights to get and stumbled upon these two budget lights 

post-11225-0-15673000-1536296993_thumb.jpg

post-11225-0-68078900-1536297110_thumb.jpg

These are by no means the best but they are cheap and bright. The strobe function draws a decent amount of attention from quite a distance. So these will do duty till they break. 

Then i went to decathlon (For some running kit) and found this d lock and lasso set

post-11225-0-78221400-1536297297_thumb.jpg

This thing is sturdy, and as far as the rest of the locks go at rosebank station this will be a a deterrent. 

All of these items came in around R500. 

I can highly recommend this combination from Ryder.

A good few of us in our commute group use this and it has lasted well against the element, and being used every day of the work week.

Both lights are highly visible and are USB rechargeable

cruxsupercob.jpg.

https://www.rydercycling.co.za/ryder-products/lights/crux-super-cob-light-set-detail

I have 3 of the Ryder red rear lights and they really do make you very visible. 

Looking at this.  Looks fairly priced. Internal battery and waterproof/weather resitent.

Anybody have experience with them?

Lezyne Super Drive 1250XXL