[Event] Trans Baviaans Race

Seamus Allardice

I'm definitely doing this one next year.

@JohanDiv please let us know how it went for you. Good luck with training I'm sure you'll smash it????

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its gonna be cold and awesome. And long, and did i mention cold.

As long as its not 17 hours again this time.

See u all for sundowners at Bergplaas!

I'm definitely doing this one next year.

@JohanDiv please let us know how it went for you. Good luck with training I'm sure you'll smash it

Thanks Wik! Just found out from my team mates we are aiming for 16 hours. Will be meeting them on Saturday for the first time when we are going for a long ride together. Not much time left to get fit. Saturday doing a 140km ride with 1800m climbing, Following it up the next day with a 55km 1400m climbing ride. Then I'll just take it easy for the next two weeks with a few indoor sessions during the week and a 4-5 hour ride the weekend before the race.

It's a long ass time in the saddle - in 2015 it took me 18:34. I promised never again  :w00t:

This year we'll go faster  :thumbup:

Thanks Wik! Just found out from my team mates we are aiming for 16 hours. Will be meeting them on Saturday for the first time when we are going for a long ride together. Not much time left to get fit. Saturday doing a 140km ride with 1800m climbing, Following it up the next day with a 55km 1400m climbing ride. Then I'll just take it easy for the next two weeks with a few indoor sessions during the week and a 4-5 hour ride the weekend before the race.

We are starting to train this weekend. Taper from Monday

Hahaha... this is sadly the truth

(well for your team mates at least)

Edited by Andrew Steer

We are starting to train this weekend. Taper from Monday

Why interrupt your taper ? You look VERY FIT and FRESH on your profile pic!! Just give it horns......  :clap:  :w00t:

So it seems the weather is running amok in the cape. The photos I'm seeing and the road condition is making me pretty nervous on my Alu hardtail with 2.2 tyres. But alas, time to HTFU it seems!

An Alu hardtail is THE perfect bike for this event. A triple chain ring on the front and you'll be dropping all the guys on single chain blades at around 50km/h.

As for the roads - they might not be smooth and fast, but they'll still far better than they used to be. It is afterall, mountain biking...

As long as that alu has bar ends and toe clips, right?

An Alu hardtail is THE perfect bike for this event. A triple chain ring on the front and you'll be dropping all the guys on single chain blades at around 50km/h.

Would the race vets mind commenting on the new CP2 positioning? Can't say I've seen Zandvlakte before.

As long as that alu has bar ends and toe clips, right?

Just you wait, bar ends will make a comeback. And I'll ready for that day!

Talking of toe clips - I have a bike that needs a pair. If you have any contacts...

Would the race vets mind commenting on the new CP2 positioning? Can't say I've seen Zandvlakte before.

Zandvlakte is at the exact position where you start to wonder where the hell CP2 is. It's pretty much the spot where the lead group starts to splinter every year at the end of those rollers.

It's an interesting decision - maybe to try to bring CP3 more into the race? Maybe trying to break the front group up earlier? Or maybe there is just more space for everyone when rush hour hits.

Zandvlakte is at the exact position where you start to wonder where the hell CP2 is. It's pretty much the spot where the lead group starts to splinter every year at the end of those rollers.

It's an interesting decision - maybe to try to bring CP3 more into the race? Maybe trying to break the front group up earlier? Or maybe there is just more space for everyone when rush hour hits.

Can't say I'm a fan of the rocky road bung fight after we enter reserve gate to get to the old CP2, so ja, will maybe make for less congestion. 

According to the Locals, Allan Hendrickse, he of the famous swim at Summerstrand in defiance of PW Botha, grew up at Zandvlakte!

post-64853-0-83604000-1564491676.jpg