[Event] Trans Baviaans Race

Seamus Allardice

Would the race vets mind commenting on the new CP2 positioning? Can't say I've seen Zandvlakte before.

When you hit that 'roller' section you pass the Police station on the left. Zandvlakte is about 10km's from there, just after the last steepish down. The farm is on the right with the school across the road on the left, just after this the road makes a right left and about 2-3km's from there you go through the reserve gate.

Velo won't be able to pinpoint it, he goes through there much too fast...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Velo says, just at the point you are starting to wonder whether you have missed it...At least you won't have to start climbing straight out of the CP either.

If everything looks like the thursday forcast prior to saturdays race , I will be happy!!!

Dont mind the cold but dont give me headwind in the first 110km...

Last year it was -2 deg, car frosted over at 07h30 Saturday morning, 10 deg at 10.00 at start and 20 in the valley... 3 hrs later....

Home just after last light (super cold again) dont think we will do 8h20 again if wind doesnt blow westerly, wich was basically the reason it was so fast last yr.

So hoping for a westerly again....

Edited by vulgar

Show-off.  :whistling:  :D

I'll be able to clock 08:20 if I use a 4x4  :eek:

If everything looks like the thursday prior to saturdays forcast, I will be happy!!!

Dont mind the cold but dont give me headwind in the first 110km...

Last year it was -2 deg, car frosted over at 07h30 Saturday morning, 10 deg at 10.00 at start and 20 in the valley... 3 hrs later....

But we were home just after last light dont think we will do 8h20 again if wind doesnt blow westerly, wich was basically the reason it was so fast last yr.

Edited by RobertWhitehead

Does anyone know of someone offering vehicle transfers from start to finish for the repeat?

Aren't the GLA doing it for the Repeat too?

Does anyone know of someone offering vehicle transfers from start to finish for the repeat?

Looking at the forecasts, I'm thinking of wearing my windbreaker backwards, zip half open. 

I'm also considering packing my kite!

I only stick with Yr.no for that area, you can ask any of the farmers in the region as well, they swear by Yr  :thumbup:

I mean a typical example is what the current forecast shows: 

Accuweather: https://www.accuweather.com/en/za/willowmore/297591/daily-weather-forecast/297591?day=9 - with gusts of 72km/h!!!!

Weather SA: http://www.weathersa.co.za/home/sevendaysdetailed?city=_Willowmore - can only go up to Thursday next week but on Thursday it shows 0 wind

The Weather Network: https://www.theweathernetwork.com/za/14-day-weather-trend/oos-kaap-eastern-cape/willowmore?from7day=1 - only a 22km/h wind with gusts of 32km/h 

Yr.no: https://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/Eastern_Cape/Willowmore/long.html - only a light breeze in the mornings with a moderate breeze in the afternoon of 7m/s

Well technically you will only be in the Willowmore area until 14:00  :whistling:. If you're still in the Willowmore area after 14:00 you may have a bigger problem  :D

The next town to monitor will be Patensie at CP#5 just to know what you're riding towards: 

https://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/Eastern_Cape/Patensie/long.html

I see YR looks a bit more relaxed today! Took this screenshot yesterday and got excited.. 

attachicon.gifWillowmore Weer.jpg

This is all looking too perfect......... I am getting nervous waiting for the predictions to make a 180 Degree turn. I hope not!

Nice thing about the weather is that you don't have a choice, and no matter how **** or great its going to be, it is what it is.

I just really want to shake this tiny headcold I've had going on for a week now. Hoping that it doesn't affect my riding too badly.

I think the second event is going to have crappy weather - I can see up to the Thursday and it's showing rain  :whistling:

This is all looking too perfect......... I am getting nervous waiting for the predictions to make a 180 Degree turn. I hope not!