[Event] Trans Baviaans Race

Seamus Allardice

Its going to be my first baviaans team of 3. I am so excited. We doing the race. All the way from KZN. I only hear good stuff of baviaans. Good training guys and see you guys at the start line. Gonna be knarly

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its going to be my first baviaans team of 3. I am so excited. We doing the race. All the way from KZN. I only hear good stuff of baviaans. Good training guys and see you guys at the start line. Gonna be knarly

My 1st too, team of 3 as well. Been a dream of mine for many years. Super amped but pretty nervous too! Doing the “Repeat”.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I see there is a Tented Village in Willowmore at the Show grounds, for Transbaviaans Race and Repeat. Has it been there last year?? Is it any good? It seems like a really good idea?

I so much want to do the Baviaans again. Only did it once but our 3 man team didn't work that nicely together. I need to up my fitness and I'll need much more TITS if I ever going to do this again.

Came in just short of 17 hours with way too little training for such a long race.

Edited by BSG

I'm doing the repeat again this year. I wasn't going to do it but my friends unexpectedly paid for my entry eish. Unlike last year I'm actually putting some effort into training this time round - but I suspect no amount of training will stop the ass bruising haha.

Lessons learnt from last year: aggressively prevent team mate from eating simple carbs (!), make shocks nice and soft, fine tune handle bar angle to reduce wrist unhappiness, carry a satellite messaging and tracking device (Garmin inReach mini).

Super excited  :drool: and mildly concerned  :ph34r: . Riding cross country at night is AWESOME :nuke:

Hi 

Can anyone assist with some logistic questions. 1st time rider here. 

Flying from JHB. Is it best to fly into George and out PE airport? 

Is it best to get an airport shuttle that they advertise on their website or is it best to hire a car. 

Problem I see with hiring a car is that an unregistered driver will have to drive the car from Willowmore to Jbay and I cant fill in the form as I dont have the vehicles particulars yet. 

To me airport shuttle seems best option therefore it leads to my next questions. 

Does the race or the airport shuttle over the service to take your bags from start to finish? 

I plan to complete the race in the early hours of Sunday AM and plan to fly back to JHB on Sunday as well. Is it best to get a small airbnb to shower etc or are there showers at the finish? 

Hi 

Is it best to get an airport shuttle that they advertise on their website or is it best to hire a car. 

Problem I see with hiring a car is that an unregistered driver will have to drive the car from Willowmore to Jbay and I cant fill in the form as I dont have the vehicles particulars yet. 

To me airport shuttle seems best option therefore it leads to my next questions. 

Does the race or the airport shuttle over the service to take your bags from start to finish? 

I plan to complete the race in the early hours of Sunday AM and plan to fly back to JHB on Sunday as well. Is it best to get a small airbnb to shower etc or are there showers at the finish? 

For the past 3 years we hired a car and closer to the event the company that provides you a driver will send you the driver details. This was from Tempest car hire and Hertz.

The only downside to this is that our driver got a fine last year and I had to pay for it. Otherwise it is not too bad. 

For the past 3 years we hired a car and closer to the event the company that provides you a driver will send you the driver details. This was from Tempest car hire and Hertz.

The only downside to this is that our driver got a fine last year and I had to pay for it. Otherwise it is not too bad.

And as far as I know, there isn't shower facilities as one finish at the mall.

Try and book an afternoon flight on Sunday if possible. You never know what could happen on route. Mechanicals and bonking can set your team back with hours. Last year we were aiming to finish before 12AM. One teammate mechanicals, other one bonking and we finished close to 4AM. Not sure how you are going to get access to the place you are staying at that time of night, we luckily had support crew that could book in the previous day. Showered and slept from 6AM to 9AM in Jbay. Picked up checkpoint crates at the mall at 10AM. Hit the road only by 11AM, tired as hell and 5 hours behind our planned schedule.

And as far as I know, there isn't shower facilities as one finish at the mall.

There are portable shower facilities at the mall - in a shed like structure behind the mall toilets. From what I can remember they have heated water - it's not hot, but not freezing. It was great to have a shower before travelling - will do the same again this year.   

Edited by Zawillow

My suggestion:

When you do the flying thing, add a few Bob to your bill and pay someone like Joggie to transport your bike down. You can add all your bike stuff onto his cargo load and then you only have to worry about getting yourself and partner to the starting line. He literally keeps the bike for you up and till the start so you just pitch and ride. If you put the bike on the plane you have to work on it and wrap it and and and.... You don't want to take the bike out of the bag just to find something broke during transit  :thumbup:.

Hi 

• 1 month later...

We have 2 man entry for the Repeat event. My best friend's wedding is on the same weekend as the Repeat event. 

I know it is a long shot but I am willing to swap my entry for the Race event or alternatively buy someones Race entries and then selling my Repeat event entries.

My cycling partner is going for this 5th TB so he really wants to get it done and dusted.

Under the downloads icon on the Baviaans page right at the bottom:

https://www.transbaviaans.co.za/downloads/

I've noticed that the 23 week program is no longer there but I have attached the original program for you as well [emoji106]

Aren't we suppose to start the 23 week training plan this week??! [emoji2955]