Power Meter - Road Bike & MTB

AllAboutRides

Hi Hubbers

I’m new to when it comes to power meters :-(

Looking for one that will fit my Sram XX1 Eagle groupset, what is the options available?

And then.......

Do you get a power meter that you can use on your MTB & Road Bike? Don’t want to buy 1 for each bike, is this possible?

Power meters are available in the following:

1.) Crankset (stages, infocrank, pioneer and SRM)

2.) Hub (Powertap)

3.) Pedals (Powertap and Garmin)

4.) HR monitor (Powercal by Powertap) but then it works with calculated power)

If you want to use one powermeter on both bikes... then your best option will be to go for powermeter pedals. However, I'm not sure if they make powermeter MTB specific pedals. So you'll have to use road pedals on the MTB.

Might be better to buy a smart trainer (built-in powermeter) and use both bikes on it. Only disadvantage is that you won't be able to race with a powermeter.

Edited by Niel1

Power meters are available in the following:

1.) Crankset (stages, infocrank, pioneer and SRM)

2.) Hub (Powertap)

3.) Pedals (Powertap and Garmin)

4.) HR monitor (Powercal by Powertap) but then it works with calculated power)

If you want to use one powermeter on both bikes... then your best option will be to go for powermeter pedals. However, I'm not sure if they make powermeter MTB specific pedals. So you'll have to use road pedals on the MTB.

Yip, only make road power meter pedals, think it wouldn’t be accurate on MTB trails with all the bouncing around etc.

If you running an XX1 Crankset your only two options would be a stages or a Quarq spider. All other options would require you changing your Crankset.

Having a power meter that could be used on both bikes isn’t really possible.

I had a stages on my bike and it worked well but have since upgraded to a XX1 Crank with a quarq and i couldn’t be happier.

Edited by Dean9406

Yip, only make road power meter pedals, think it wouldn’t be accurate on MTB trails with all the bouncing around etc.

If you running an XX1 Crankset your only two options would be a stages or a Quarq spider. All other options would require you changing your Crankset.

Having a power meter that could be used on both bikes isn’t really possible.

I had a stages on my bike and it worked well but have since upgraded to a XX1 Crank with a quarq and i couldn’t be happier.

Where do you buy quarq?

Where do you buy quarq?

You’ll need to order through an LBS that will order from Cape Storm (who have the agency for SRAM/Zipp/Quarq in SA).

Expect a MASSIVE markup on what you would be able to buy it for if you were buying overseas (or, heaven forbid, one of the global online retailers).

Where do you buy quarq?

I bought mine from overseas with the crank included. Worked out waaaay cheaper than buying locally as I had a friend who could send it over for me. But I think Evobikes or Bikeaddict have.

Hi Hubbers

I’m new to when it comes to power meters :-(

Looking for one that will fit my Sram XX1 Eagle groupset, what is the options available?

And then.......

Do you get a power meter that you can use on your MTB & Road Bike? Don’t want to buy 1 for each bike, is this possible?

For a SRAM XX1 EAGLE chainset you have twooptions :

1) Stages carbon mtb GXP /shimano or BB30

2) Power2max NGEco.

Unless your XX1 crank mounts the chain ring or chainring spider with an 8bolt mount you cannot upgrade it to Quarq. You will need a new chainset.

Why do you want a power meter on a mtb? Which metric are you after?

As previously said, cannot get pedals for both road and MTB, wheel hub means 2 wheels, crank based have different BCD for road and MTB and crank lengths also different if you consider Stages or 4iii.

Usual crank lengths

Road 172.5

MTB 175

So difficult to have one PM to do both unless you change crank length on one of your bikes to match.  Easiest would be to change road to 175 as unlikely to get 172.5 MTB crank.

You are basically in for 2 PM's if you want on both.

Edited by shaper

As previously said, cannot get pedals for both road and MTB, wheel hub means 2 wheels, crank based have different BCD for road and MTB and crank lengths also different if you consider Stages or 4iii.

Usual crank lengths

Road 172.5

MTB 175

So difficult to have one PM to do both unless you change crank length on one of your bikes to match.  Easiest would be to change road to 175 as unlikely to get 172.5 MTB crank.

You are basically in for 2 PM's if you want on both.

Forget about even crank length as that's a non issue. Chain ring sizes are not compatible from mtb chain set to road bike.

Training with a pm on a mtb is a lot of noise anyway. The terrain just doesn't lend itself giving great data or allowing the rider to maintain the correct zones especially in narrow window outputs.

If using the pm just to gauge normalised powered or weighted average power as strava calls it then a premium strava subscription does the job nicely

Strava premium will still deliver more consistent results

I hope you mean more consistent than the power pod?

Not sure if Strava gives you live power readings though?

Edited by Patchelicious

I hope you mean more consistent than the power pod?

Not sure if Strava gives you live power readings though?

Yes sorry I mean more consistent against power pod wrt peak and normalised power.

Instantaneous power on a mtb is whole new world of noise.but power pod can be good here if calibrated correctly before every ride.

Edited by DieselnDust