[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have a great day...

First CTCT and didn't know what to expect. Came into it undertrained, overweight, unprepared, and only just recovered from a cold...

Went way too hard out the gate... The wind totally fooled me and I just kept trying to hold a wheel to avoid the wind and ended up suffering more than I would have in the wind.

Felt incredibly good in the mild wind on the M5, and only slowed down in fish hoek when we got hit by the headwind...

The rest of my day was survival mode... Crawled up the climbs, cramped twice up chappies but managed to get through suikerbossie without cramping... Then cramped up along seapoint but had to finish..

Started in 5B, ended up probably around 5:15 for my time... Ride time was 4:44 but I had to stop and sort the cramping out...

Honestly, it was a slog, a chore, and I hated the last half... But somehow I'm sure I'll be there again next year!

Joss, if you were on the M5 no wonder you were having a bad day. You weren't even in the right race!!

Felt incredibly good in the mild wind on the M5, and only slowed down in fish hoek when we got hit by the headwind...

Welcome to the funride world champs, hopefully we'll see you again next year. Just a hint, next year take the M3 as you'll be more sheltered in a group  :P

I was 1F and by the sounds of it we did the same as most other groups with braking and a concertina effect. Eventually this led to a crash near the end of the M3. There were others but this is the worst that I saw closeup...

These poor riders must have a few roasties as we were going about 38 Km/h at the time.  :eek:  :cursing:

Not to mention the top-tubers going from the top of Suikerbossie towards the 12 Apostles... if I tried that, there, today, I would have puckered my frame beyond warranty.

Had an U17 aerotuck his way past me. I slid into the drops and returned the favour. He seemed surprised

The seeding system is a stuff up. Using the 99er and tdeppa to push PPA members up the start groups was a monumental disaster. Wheel suckers everywhere. MOst we shed on Edinburgh the rest just fell off the back when we hit Smits and we hit it hard. Think I was smashing 52x18 up there (tail wind helps).

But seriously, okes with BMI >24 in 1A.....really??!!!  Get real Racetec. You do them a disservice. Stick to your own seeding rules and stop manipulating the game to capture memberships

would be interesting to compare PPA members performance vs seeding to the overall

Started in 1B and I think the B stood for "Brake test". Flippit why were there so many? 

I think you underestimate the power of gusting headwinds on the first rider. The bunch is shielded usually - the first guy takes all the brunt

I kept wondering why our group were continuously concertinaing on Smits.

This probably explains it..

The guys that this morning used black bags to keep the wind out, then remove it before the start, please discard of it properly. Had one in my rear at the start which broke hanger and derailleur.

What was the blackbag doing in your rear?

The seeding system is a stuff up. Using the 99er and tdeppa to push PPA members up the start groups was a monumental disaster. Wheel suckers everywhere. MOst we shed on Edinburgh the rest just fell off the back when we hit Smits and we hit it hard. Think I was smashing 52x18 up there (tail wind helps).

But seriously, okes with BMI >24 in 1A.....really??!!! Get real Racetec. You do them a disservice. Stick to your own seeding rules and stop manipulating the game to capture memberships

You meant PPA...racetec times the race whereas PPA cedes the rider based on their own criteria which includes entering their event and race time as well plus other factors. Dont let BMI fool you...there are guys that will ride you moer toe....appearance can be deceiving[emoji41].

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

results online???nope

results on the app? yes!

oh well

Racetec app? I've just installed it and like online, results aren't available.

What made you think they were available on the app?

Gotta admit I was surprised not to get an SMS with a provisional result, isn't that normal?

(Haven't ridden Argus since 2007..)

Gotta admit I was surprised not to get an SMS with a provisional result, isn't that normal?

(Haven't ridden Argus since 2007..)

It was normal for the last couple of year ... almost as soon as you crossed the line.

Was a bit surprised to see that the feature was discontinued.

I found that tough and scary - wind, weaving and unbelievably, people with less skills than I have - I like the atmosphere so next year I’m starting at the back on an mtb with slicks and I’m going to eat boerewors and help people - I’ll also feel good because I’ll be passing rather than being passed

This 60 people bunch riding malarkey made me head straight to the beer fridge after to celebrate being safe

Very sad to pass that guy at Smitswinkel - I got confused at had to start back in 2A and when we went passed there was just respectful silence - RIP

Edited by Waynemol

My first CTCT today (I'm nearly 55 and bought my first bike in Feb 2018). Was apprehensive about the wind but had a great ride. Really enjoyed it. Went like the clappers (by my standards), especially from Smitties but even a bit before that. I felt the biggest issue was that I may have been seeded a bit far back (5B) - or the seeding is a stuff up, not sure which - and kept having to work my way through slower riders. Got a bit hairy at times. Especially on the flats, gentle inclines and downhills, I seemed to be going past a heck of a lot of people. Also couldn't find a pack to hook onto so was pretty much a solo ride for me. Ran out of puff halfway up Suikerbossie so stopped and downed the goodie bag Zest thing - that sure helped a lot.

Must be one of the most beautiful routes anywhere in the world.

Really looking forward to the next one.

Clive from 5D who rode today after surviving pancreatic cancer and now has no pancreas, spleen or gall bladder: bloody well done and I wish you many more indeed. You're one of my heroes.

Graeme from 5B with the red cyclocross bike with the masking taped bananas under the top tube: you're a real gentleman. I hope I see you again!

To the US couple from Washington State on the tandem: hope to see you next year again.

To the thirty Nigerians who flew here to join us, the same: next year same time, same place lads!

Edited by MudLark

I like the atmosphere so next year I’m starting at the back on an mtb with slicks and I’m going to eat boerewors and help people -

The atmosphere is even better when the weather plays it's part.

That said, thanks to all who braved the elements to support us along the way.

What was with the hay bales and fencing on the on ramp? Why narrow the road? There was some very strange road narrowing today, like in Simon’s town, narrowed whole race to one lane with cones for no reason then it went back to 3 lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk