[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

I hope you won't take it amiss when I say that your Mom is a beast - often see her at the events.

My mom won her age group, I am never going to hear the end of this, along with her podium at DC.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Racetec app? I've just installed it and like online, results aren't available.

What made you think they were available on the app?

Gotta admit I was surprised not to get an SMS with a provisional result, isn't that normal?

(Haven't ridden Argus since 2007..)

A friend who doesn't even ride has been sending me screenshots from the app.

Think it's just the live rider tracking, not official results

Well what a day...the wind...not as bad as i expected it to be...the first few hours as I headed towards Millers Point and Smitswinkel was a grind and i noted few riders really wanted to work together.

Being honest it was nice to get to the hills because it levelled out the riding standards a bit because up to then, it was a bit frantic and some of the passing moves were bordering on the bullish and  lack of consideration,and this was not helpful to finding a good riding rhythm.

The section after Cape Point was in my opinion was hectic and spotted a few incidents up there as people lost control due to speed I think.

The following sections were fine but Misty Cliffs was sublime and the sea was a stunning sight.

Chapmans went well and lucky I had the legs to pass a few groups but Suikerbossie was a small bit evil but manageable.Its actually more evil than a little bit...

The roll back to the stadium was fun...had a small laugh when a aggressive group tangled themselves up..no injuries noted glad to say...

But the day was more than about us.I am sure we have suffering partners who helped us ride around Cape town.Thanks to them...

And we got home safely...others sadly didn't.

There were little things about the day that made it special.The tandem army...plenty out and most were smiling..

Will I be back next year? maybe ...its easier to say yes isn't it ?

now time for a beer...

There was someone who had done 8 tours, I could not believe it, must have ridden with someone else’s number. He was weaving like an F1 car on a warm up lap!!

Mind. Boggles.

Would be interesting to see a figure of the collective years' of experience per group based on number of tours, and how that ties back to the groups with most crashes. 

Not saying number of tours is the be-all and end-all ito rider experience but it would be interesting to see ... even more so if a minimum number of tours + time were used as seeding criteria in the groups where speeds are generally higher.

Personally I feel safer surrounded by ballies with high single and double digits on their backs :)

A rider close to the area you are all describing had a heart attack. Unfortunately, he Died on the way to the hospital.

RIP fellow cyclist!

A bad day out for all of us...this was my youngest beau's best mate's Dad...RIP and condolences....Team Rother DNF......

A bad day out for all of us...this was my youngest beau's best mate's Dad...RIP and condolences....Team Rother DNF......

My thoughts are with them, and with you guys.  Not nice when something we love to do ends up in tragedy.

I must've set a record for quickest ever being dropped from your group... I didn't even make it onto the N2, as at the third group-concertina-emergency-brake-test in the first 500m, someone went into the back of me and my chain jammed.

By the time I'd got off, removed the back wheel, reseated the chain and replaced the rear wheel, @ were well on their way up the N2, and I wasn't going to get back to them soloing into that block headwind, so soft-pedalled and waited for &, which was fine until I got caught behind the crash at Misty Cliffs. Almost regained the front group at Slangkop, but couldn't close the last 30 metres into the headwind on Kommetjie Road.

At least I got to enjoy the last 30km instead of having to bite my stem to stay with the racing snakes over Chappies and Suikerbossie!

Condolences to the family of the rider who died.got Some nasty crashes out there too - heal up well guys. Makes you grateful just to get round in one piece.

Just heard the guy that died is my partner's obstetrician. He seemed like such a good guy. RIP.

Edited by Brawler

Thought the family specifically requested his name not to be released?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought the family specifically requested his name not to be released?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry. It's all over Facebook groups. I will delete.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Results now on RaceTec

Not sure if it is the full set of results - but as it stands only 119 people got a sub 3.

That's a tough day out!

Not sure if it is the full set of results - but as it stands only 119 people got a sub 3.

That's a tough day out!

That must be the least number of Sub-3's in a very long time.

My best ever position in the Argus but my worst finishing time since 2013  ^_^  

Organisers said 35K people participated but that doesn't sound right to me. Only 23K finishers on the results. Although there must have been more DNF's than usual with the weather conditions. (not that much though)

That must be the least number of Sub-3's in a very long time.

My best ever position in the Argus but my worst finishing time since 2013  ^_^  

Organisers said 35K people participated but that doesn't sound right to me. Only 23K finishers on the results. Although there must have been more DNF's than usual with the weather conditions. (not that much though)

yeah - 23k seems low.  Maybe more results to come.

But as it stands nobody in a 'number group' (1a, 1b etc) got a sub 3.  And no more than the top 5 in the hashtag groups got sub 3 (apart from $ of course).

Edited by Dubber