[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Some observations on the comments wrt EBikes and the race etc:

1.) E Bikes: Can be throttled on time so you can say i want it to give me enough support for 4,5 hours and it will allocate the battery accordingly. so you only use one battery and have optimal support for your ride

2.) EBikes: Can be hacked especially the Specialized - i have set it for 40 KMH and it goes like the blazes. 

WRT the race: It was my 18th. I am not at all fast and had a jol but i trained hard and raised my fitness and commitment was required to get there. In the past i have dieted and trained for 3 months to chase the elusive Sub 3 (never got it). I know how much work it took and how much effort i put in. Even this year. I would be gutted if  an ebike was included in the general chutes and then beat me by relying on the battery and motor in the overall.

You cant mix the two easily. I know, i have one. I could easily have slipped it in to the mix and just ridden it without saying anything but for me it would break the whole ethos of the commitment to doing it self powered and the training i put in on the bike to get where i did.

Its so easy to just push the turbo button when the wind is head on, like it was, and use the motor to pull you through. But you know inside yourself that it's the motor that did it. Its great fun, dont get me wrong, but its not honest and its not fair on the guys who have trained. 

I dont know how you integrate the ebikes but i reckon it has to be like an hour after everyone has started in a tourist class with battery packs positioned at the water points for the bikes. That would IMO be fair. No timing, no places just a ride around the peninsula when the roads are closed.

EBikes are quick. You could use one to pull a bunch and make a huge difference to the person in the slipstreams results. Its only a matter of time before this abuse happens...

My 2 cents.

Until this is sorted and agreed i am not sure they have a place in the starting chutes on timed events.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough I have no issue with e-bikes being in the rubbish groups (anything after 2k).

Realistically they aren't going to win anything, they aren't going pro and what harm is there in letting people cheat themselves or ride with mates on closed roads in a fun ride? 

You aren't 'racing' back there and it's a personal struggle/achievement, not a push to the finish line.

As long as they stay out of the actual riders, it's more about getting people out there and having a jol, embracing and adding to the gees however you can.

But then that's just me. I'm sure there are thousands who disagree and I respect that. 

Jewbacca, why are you calling the lower seeded groups rubbish? I personally think it is blatantly rude. I wonder what group you started in, and what makes you so special and superior. Why don't you post us your true identity and the time you did so that we can see who we are dealing with.   

Jewbacca, why are you calling the lower seeded groups rubbish? I personally think it is blatantly rude. I wonder what group you started in, and what makes you so special and superior. Why don't you post us your true identity and the time you did so that we can see who we are dealing with.   

Post 1714?

The rules of the event clearly state....no ebikes

Dont like the rule.... tough luck

Find another event that caters to your needs

Why cant we all just follow the rules it's so simple

Sent from my SM-A605F using Tapatalk

https://www.capetowncycletour.com/race-entry-terms-and-conditions/

1884329-Robert-Evans-Quote-I-believe-rul

2.12. A rider may not use a personal music system, e.g. iPod, or a radio communication device, including a cellular phone, whilst riding, except that members of professional teams may use a radio communication device if in accordance with UCI rules and regulations which can be found at www.cyclingsa.com.

2.13. A rider must participate with a RaceTec/Winning Time timing chip and shall not ride with another rider’s number or RaceTec/Winning Time timing chip.

2.14. A person who has entered must not give his/her number and/or RaceTec/Winning Time timing chip to another person to use.

2.15. A rider may not use foul or offensive language or make offensive, indecent or inappropriate gestures.

2.16. A rider must wear clothing appropriate for a family event at all times.

2.17. A rider may not dispose of any litter along the Cycle Tour course except in refuse bins.

2.18. A rider may not smoke anywhere on the route during the Cycle Tour.

2.19. A rider may not start or attempt to start before his/her designated start group. Any rider who does so may be disqualified.

2.20. A rider must complete the Cycle Tour course with his/her own effort and may not receive any assistance in this regard other than drafting behind another rider or riders participating in the Cycle Tour. The Trust or its designee has the discretion to allow minor assistance by pushing but not towing. Towing is only allowed in the case of special entries for disabled riders.

2.27. A rider may not participate whilst under the influence of alcohol or any drug or medication that prevents or might prevent a rider from properly controlling his/her bicycle.

2.29. Elite Men and Ladies riders may not use performance enhancing drugs. A rider, other than a licensed rider, is not subject to anti-doping testing, except that any rider may be tested for alcohol or drugs after an accident.

2.30. A rider may not display on his/her bicycle, clothing and cycling equipment any writing, logo or item that is offensive or that may bring the Cycle Tour into disrepute, as determined by the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust.

But banning, will never work. Even the car was new at some point and yip, banned from the roads at first.

Last time I checked cars are still banned from horse races, running events and cycling events. People riding cars had to create their own events to race their cars. That would be my suggestion for e-bikes as well

Last time I checked cars are still banned from horse races, running events and cycling events. People riding cars had to create their own events to race their cars. That would be my suggestion for e-bikes as well

weak analogy.

How about tandems?

Using your logic, surely they should create their own events too.

I do kinda feel that tandems are like bringing 2 horse power to a 1 horse power race. But that view of mine does not sit favourable with most cyclists. 

weak analogy.

How about tandems?

Using your logic, surely they should create their own events too.

Great idea! Given how I got held up by the damn things on Smits on Sunday I would have loved for them to have their own event  :thumbup:  

There were a 156 finishers from Group $.  That is the only people who had a theoretical chance of winning the CTCT. Even if you in 1A had a better time, no trophy for you. So that, in reality, was the only race. (and of course the ladies race from their starting point). And I am not saying e-bikes should be allowed in this race (along with doping etc.)

I am talking about the participation of many people who enjoy riding their bikes, al be it with assistance (for whatever reason), on a nice day out (even with the wind) on a wonderful route. Their numbers don't justify yet their own fun ride with closed routes around the peninsula.

Yes, consider all that needs to be considered, safety, influence on other's enjoyment etc. But don't do it with a preconceived idea of banning. I am sure equitable solutions can be found. Evidence suggest you will not be successful in banning them anyway.

But cycling loves banning frivolous things.  UCI racing license riders can't even ride with their kids or charity events if they are timed and not sanctioned. Come on.

And Last time I checked, there wasn't a line of car racers lining up in the FAQ section of the Argus, Two Oceans and Durban July asking to participate with their cars, so not really a great example. 

Edited by daniemare

Feels like another thread coming, "Ebikes in road races" 

Having seen the Do ebikes belong in the mountains debate just not wanting to die, seems there is a new place for this to be debated.  

It is probably less of an safety issue to have an ebike in a road race (at the middle / back of the pack) than having an ebike in the middle / back of a mountain bike race.

SCANDAL!!!!!

2.27. A rider may not participate whilst under the influence of alcohol or any drug or medication that prevents or might prevent a rider from properly controlling his/her bicycle.

Hehe - good thing we were not participating at that point.

This is a good rule - looking at some of the people in my group, they had enough issues trying to control their bikes at the best of times, and they were stone cold sober.

I was happy about the wind in the end, never finished the Argus in a group of 14 before, with 5 up the road.

(Well besides last year when I rode from Chappies on my ace all the way to the finish after starting in $)