Chris Snr - CWC/CYCLELAB

Chris Willemse

We were overwhelmed by the support we received on the LUV CWC campaign, which saw us dish out thousands of discount vouchers!

For those that received the voucher, remember to come spend it this week during our BIG Sale - your voucher expires Sunday, 2 Sept!

After fighting for the consumer for 41 years, the criticism and negative sentiment that the Cycle Lab partnership received last week did sting a little. But the support shown in recent days has reminded us exactly why we do this. We do it for our customers, and when they show us love, it makes us feel brilliant and makes us want to do more for them. So we take this renewed energy forward in our new partnership, confident that it will deliver even more value to you. We look forward to the journey with you all, even those that have indicated that they disapprove of the deal we have done.

We will win your confidence and trust, not by words, but by what has made us what we are today, by fighting for you - the South African cycling consumer.

This we plan to do for at least another 41 years and you are all invited to join us!

Regards

SNR

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, happy for you to make some money out of a long standing business. I was 1 that had some criticism. I suppose time will tell what happens with CWC and the pricing model.

Many people are anti CL. They are not the cheapest, and service not always the best. So to see a company that has good pricing and service, being brought into that fold, does not bode well. 

I really hope and wish that the CWC model remains the same, but I don't see how CWC will keep the competitive pricing model while under the CL brand. 

You will now have to support the local distributor as CL does, which places CWC at the mercy of markups and bad service from that angle.

So I hope the model remains and works. It is not just about you and your son still being involved in the business and offering the same good service. In this day and age of online shopping it's about price first and foremost. And unfortunately CL is dismal in this regard.

Feedback is best if you 'use it or lose it'.

Sterkte with the joint venture. ????????

Yip, keeping customers happy is a win:win strategy.

It will likely be a different customer experience with this partnership as these are new beginnings.

How it'll be remains to be seen.

After fighting for the consumer for 41 years, 

Snip

Think that was the reason for the negative sentiment, that there is now nobody fighting for the consumer...

Do see that in the last part of post you said you will keep an eye on it though for another 41 years :D

Good luck and congrats on building such an awesome brand. I think its amazing that so many people care enough about CWC to post about it. 

<snip>

Good luck and congrats on building such an awesome brand. I think its amazing that so many people care enough about CWC to post about it. 

can't agree more

You have my little (I don't buy much) support Chris and I'm guessing CL has set payment terms over time based on financial results.

Unfortunately CL has a history of bad service and high prices in their independent stores. With their "Mega stores" I found the prices to be a bit more reasonable and the service not too bad. I'm hoping CWC will rub off on CL, improve their service and pricing rather than CWC being negatively influenced by CL.

All the best with the new venture!

I spent an hour in the store on Saturday, and walked out feeling a bit deflated. I was looking for a new pair of mtb shoes, and could not find the pair I wanted, or any in my size. The sales assistants were happy to oblige to the point that they decided a concluded sale was becoming less of a realized outcome. Thereafter, I was left to browse around on my own. I also spent quite some time searching for more enduro/all-mountain type gear, but gave up after my second lap around the shop.

I left with 2 pairs of socks and 6 CO2 bombs (4 small, 2 large). It took the security guy at the door to point out that I was overcharged, and after calling an assistant, I was able to exchange my 4 small bombs for the 4 I ended up paying for.

Honestly, as much as I pain to admit it, that security chap was the only person I felt actually helped me on the day. Even after presenting my Tigerberg MTB card, I was treated in a rather "meh" way.

Now, I am not trying to make a fuss, nor do I expect, or want, any follow up treatment. Reason for my post is that I feel that the target market is aimed more towards e-bike riders (there was an inordinate amount of them up for grabs), as well as the marathon / stage race / "I'm-a-roadie-with-a-mtb" crew. Nothing wrong with that per se, but at the exclusion of pure all-mountain/enduro/dh riders, I guess this means that people who enjoy that type of riding are too few to be taken seriously? 

SNR, I wish you well with this new venture, and I may every now and then bite at a special, but for now, I will be casting my spending net wider.

What a pleasure it was to see Chris Snr supporting riders at just about every stage of the Epic this year. Such a familiar figure, so much part of the sport. Can't say I would feel the same seeing a CL representative doing the same thing, because it can never be the same. CWC - small guy, part of & growing with the sport. CL - big corporate attempting to show shareholder value through the sport. Despite this view, I do wish you and CL success. 

Think a lot of people was surprised by the announcement and being unsure of the future whether they will still get the same good deals as service.

I can only speak for myself I have built up a good relationship with a couple of shops CWC included and just because something changes doesn't mean I will no longer support them.

Only time will tell but a business will only make a new venture to be more successful nobody will put money into something just to bring it down.

I think this has the potential of being great more options under 1 roof bigger buying power which should mean better prices.