Canyon Aeroad - Read if you planning on purchasing one

button

Still think sitting on top tube is not out of the normal otherwise you would hear of other brands with similar issues. They admitted that the pro’s do it, it’s a UCI approved frame and the UCI allow descending on the top tube. I think Canyon should stop being so useless and hiding behind small print.

No other top tubes are snapping out there... maybe the UCI should remove the approval of the frame if they are being snapped during world tour races?

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me but I think you are missing the point of my post.

I admitted to doing this because I was being honest and because the 3rd time it happened was the only time I knew how it happened.

I dont want them to honour the warranty (whatever it is). I dont want another frame. I wish I knew how it happened the first time and I would have avoided a huge amount of admin. 

Possibly all manufacturers have the same 'common logic' in their warranty. Just know then, that the Aeroad top tube is one of the weakest.

I am a competitive racer as are most people that would buy an Aeroad. If I get to the top of a climb and can not optimize my position like the rest of my competitors I will see the back end of a group on a descent in no time. 

I'm not sure who sets the international bike manufactures 'intended purpose' rule but surely with competition bicycles, like the Aeroad, sitting on the top tube should be considered? 

The point of this post was to get a public opinion on the matter and to inform future Aeroad owners of my issue.

OP

I have seen this episode before.

It wont get any better for you from here on.

Enjoy your new (non Canyon) bike!

Years of experience  :thumbup:

Or sitting on the top tube while in the starting pen.

Half the guys are doing that.

You sit on the top tube with your full weight on the bike balancing both feet clipped in like in a Track stand?!!? You ARE THE Man!

Me I have one foot on the ground and my weight spread overhe pedals, bars and foot.

Then he dynamic load of the bike in motion vs standing still is very different. Sitting with your aweight on the top tube in motion sags the top tube ( thinking of a loaded washing line). The line compresses and tensions which is far more stress than the tube is designed to handle compared to when the forces are coming just from the seat tube.

Use it as intended and it will last I’m sure. Use it as a chair then I’m sure it will break as it’s not a chair

You sit on the top tube with your full weight on the bike balancing both feet clipped in like in a Track stand?!!? You ARE THE Man!

Me I have one foot on the ground and my weight spread overhe pedals, bars and foot.

Then he dynamic load of the bike in motion vs standing still is very different. Sitting with your aweight on the top tube in motion sags the top tube ( thinking of a loaded washing line). The line compresses and tensions which is far more stress than the tube is designed to handle compared to when the forces are coming just from the seat tube.

Use it as intended and it will last I’m sure. Use it as a chair then I’m sure it will break as it’s not a chair

You're missing the point that sitting on the top tube is and has been normal for racers for decades.  It is using the bike as intended.

I've been sitting on the top tube for longer than Canyon has been making bikes.

Bro... 'you deserve'?

I might sound like a douche here but no. You are not entitled to anything. You would have received a pamphlet with the bike stating the terms of the warranty. You received 2 frames. 

They found out that you were using the frame outside of it's warranty stated intended direction for use.

They owe you absolutely nothing.

Let it then be known that this frame is not intended for mass market use. During the life of a bike it will CERTAINLY see various forces applied to its top tube. Either from bike racks, handling, riding/waiting at the robot, road shudder over thousands of kms. This is an obvious weakspot in a frame that was either not designed or tested adequately. If one or two top tube sits crack it, it's not strong enough in the first place.

Principles of functional product design dictate that testing be done for both INTENDED and EXPECTED(yet unintended) usage/forces exerted on a product. The first test of the top tube would have shown that this frame will crack if a roadie sits on it. Is this fine? I don't know; I do however know most dependable manufacturers don't seem to have this issue, and that it is a sure thing that a top tube will get sat on.

I'd love to discuss how this is due to cost effective manufacturing and their business model but perhaps in a different fred.

Your fault cause you sat on the top tube? Kakstorie.

Edited by ratherberidin'

Keep in mind that he was clipped in at the time so only part of his weight would have been sitting on the top tube. The thought of riding a frame that is so borderline would make me nervous. What happens if you hit a pothole or something like that?

While I agree that Canyon has done a great job thus far in terms of honouring warranty etc., there is clearly a design flaw if it cracks when sitting in an aero tuck position.

A lot of posts here mention that you shouldn't be in the aero tuck position at all - unfortunately, if you are racing and you don't, you will be left behind. Further to this, all of the pros that we watch on tv are riding in this positon, many of them on Canyon bikes. Where do you think the general cycling population learn their "tips & tricks" - by watching the pros in action.

Based on this design flaw, I will certainly never buy a Canyon, and would go as far as to not recommend their bikes if you intend on doing anything more than a Sunday cruise...

You're missing the point that sitting on the top tube is and has been normal for racers for decades.  It is using the bike as intended.

I've been sitting on the top tube for longer than Canyon has been making bikes.

I miss no point at all. You are trying to compare two completely different loading of the frame because they look similar. Weight on the pedals in motion is concentrated through the B.B. area, especially in that stupid top tube seated position. In effect hanging a weight from the B.B. while forcing the bike up through the contact patches and then trying to tear it apart down the middle of the frame via the top tube load.

It’s not the same as sitting on the frame while stationary.

You don’t have the acceleration forces s participating. You don’t have the inertial loads varying with speed. The two scenarios are different .

End of story.

Try and pull another one.

The tt aero tuck is pretty new.

For a start maybe a excerpt from their warranty which states 'normal bike use'. Maybe a explanation as to how the frames are manufactured lending to their strengths and weaknesses in certain areas? A better apology? A reason as to why they replaced my two previous frames and not this one? An indication of occurrence? Just more sustenance - rather than basically re sending me the first email. I understand that a lot of this may be hard for them to give me but I spent a lot of time and effort getting the bike here I deserve to know what the issue is.

post-275-0-01145300-1535383220_thumb.png

(I just bought a Canyon, and luckily I'm too k@k on descents to even consider sitting on the top tube ;) )

your one foot (or both feet) are on the ground vs on the pedals when you descend. you also don't go through potholes in the start pen..... 

Sure, but fairly speaking you don't take potholes full force through the frame to the butthole either. One generally avoids pothole or unweights said butthole for impact. Well...  :eek:

Somehow I manage to stay with anyone by simply riding in their slipstream....

Has worked for decades

Sure, but only if you're fit enough to hold on. Tuck position is a legitimate part of riding, has been for ages. Try pull another one. 

your one foot (or both feet) are on the ground vs on the pedals when you descend. you also don't go through potholes in the start pen..... 

A rider crouches on top of the top bar with their legs under them during a decent, IE a substantial part of their weight sits on the pedals.

He didn't go through a pothole on his descent, there are none currently on the Sandton drive mineshaft.