Has the MTB Stage Racing bubble finally burst?

Slowbee

post-2696-0-26624800-1526993971_thumb.jpg

I started a thread in looking at all the long distance rides we have in this country.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/175647-longer-mtb-races-errm-no-rides/

I came to the realisation we have A LOT! Almost more than 1 a month. Couple these with the odd 3 day event rides and day shorter trips (and lets not forget the longer 3 day events, aka tours) and we have a plethora of mountain bike events. Chuck in road cycling and things are rather full!

I have noted on the S2C thread that space is now available and the things are not over subscribed. Someone commented on the ama100miler ride that the field was small. And then the RASA thread also mentioned a small field.

Then low and behold I get given a copy of full suss MTB, and the lead article is : Has The Bubble Burst

Have events just become too expensive? And so organisers have made the money and might need to now rethink ? Or are events so easy to put on that so many events are popping up ? Or is it a real case that the market can sustain all these events?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bubble still growing - riding one or other event within a 2 hour drive of CT just about most weekends until October. 

Loving every minute. Long may it continue

Must be a cost thing. I for one cannot afford to enter a mtb race every weekend, plus pay all the associated costs like travel, accommodation, food etc. I see the Juma is nearly R500 for the 50 something km race. I'll be in Jozi that weekend and was keen to do it, until I saw that price.. Most other short one day races I've done are R150 - R300. I'll then rather just go do some trails at a fraction of that cost..

I'm sure costs have gone up for event organizers as well, so they are probably forced to up the registration fees. 

Bikes and gear are so expensive these days we can't afford the race fees anymore  :ph34r: 

I don't think any bubble has burst, the good races with survive and thrive, the weak will fall away...

The more races, the better the value for us (the clients) in the long term

I did the NightOne Series (MTB and Trail event) at Northern Farms on Saturday Night and was (1) disappointed at the field turnout and (2) so impressed with the event that I email the organizers to say 'thank you and can't wait for the next one'.... their response was 'Probably not going to be a next one and they only put it on for the 'Funfactor' 

Its all about perspective: Jonkershoek family permit for the year = R700. Helderberg farm = R60 for the day.

Why would I spend $$$ for a dirt roadie ride on public roads that I can do for free on any other day or to wait in line to crawl down single track?

I haven't felt the need to enter an organised "race" in years. In my stingy, part Scottish mind, the bubble has burst a long time ago.

Has the bubble burst? Nope. There's constant growth. I don't know the stats but I can see from threads on Le Hub, FB, Insta ad nauseum. I envy the Western Cape MTB' ers. They are spoilt for choice. 

Is it going to burst? Sure as heck it will. Even the upper middle class cannot afford to attend many races. 

Road races on the other end, eish. Far and few between. But that's a whole other debate. 

Cost is a big thing for me. A few stage races adds up to the price of a new bike - and although it is about the experience I just cannot justify those prices - especially when I can organise a weekend with mates on those same trails at a fraction of the price and the trails aren't congested.

Add to that the fact that there are so many events to choose from, and I can understand that events aren't filling up. I for one will stick to my one stage race a year and enjoy it, but that will be the limit for me. The rest of my "mtb fund" goes to the ridiculously high cost of maintenance and gear, and if anything is left over I will use that on weekend trips - just makes more sense.

And I think many riders are in the same position as me.

So yes, in my opinion the bubble is burtsing. Events will have to really have to have that X factor to get the entrants there, and those that do have it will survive and flourish, while the run of the mill events will die off.

I think it has. Rising entry fees. Diminishing buying power. Got the t-shirt. Over supply.

Had my Sani entry for sale since February, and only managed to offload it at a fraction of what it cost me on the Tues of registration.

Whereas before they were snapped up incredibly fast. I also noticed a few for sale that took forever to be bought

I did the NightOne Series (MTB and Trail event) at Northern Farms on Saturday Night and was (1) disappointed at the field turnout and (2) so impressed with the event that I email the organizers to say 'thank you and can't wait for the next one'.... their response was 'Probably not going to be a next one and they only put it on for the 'Funfactor' 

sorry for hi-jack....

Did they really say that??? I'll be very disappointed if they drop that race. Just did my 3rd one on Saturday and always a blast!

Whereas before they were snapped up incredibly fast. I also noticed a few for sale that took forever to be bought

I do believe after a very successful event , helped most certainly by the good weather and great stories coming out,  it will again sell out 

While not cheap the event is top top notch 

Edited by Milosh

Pay a fortune for a bike and refuse to pay a small fortunate for a race, just like I pay a fortune for my design workstation/gaming pc and refuse to pay R1000 for a game.
Personally it has come down to what I find "worth the price" and paying 1-5% of the price of the tool (bike, pc) to use it at an event... meh

a few thoughts from my side:

1. everything has a "fad time" where hype and attendance is high and then inevitably dies down (grade is dependent on various factors).

2. number of mtb riders exploded the last 6-8 years, and it's actually great to see so many more active people, especially those one's who need it more  :whistling: . Running isn't for everyone....

3. The nice thing at events is, that they cater for all classes. So esp. the beginner rider can feel more comfortable with people around, marked routes, support (spectators, technical and refreshments). The barrier to entry is lower, despite cost etc. (although these are escalating).

4. Events - all differ and can/do cater for slightly different disciplines (technical/gravel grinding/stage/multistage etc.) - choices are abundant and it's not only about being competitive. They are also all different in terms of organisation, support, interaction etc etc., which has a direct link to their longevity.

My personal approach:

I love attending as many events as I can fit in - happy to look further afield but do prefer max 4h from Cape Town. Massive options all round. Biggest problem: some require a partner to ride.

Personal reasons to enter: always different trails, marked (don't need to find my way), can compete if I want, support given (spectators, technical and refreshments), after-ride events (foods, drinks, bands etc.), can mostly camp or arrange accommodation (have a rooftop tent), proximity to home allows quick dash in and out, see familiar faces or meet new one's, get up at crack of dawn or before (which I usually don't do)......and more

Negatives: once I've ridden it two or three times it bores me and I move on. At home, I know all Durbanville Hills tracks off by heart so need to explore other tracks. Just for fun riding probably won't get me to other trails. Costs becoming more and more a factor.

I think the most important thing for events to consider to keep a customer base:

entry price - scale options: all-in or build your own (what you want and need)

change/build trails and rotate them - new challenges required

focus on the necessary - most add-on's are nice but people want to ride and nto buy the t-shirt etc etc. - I know it's a business, but sustainability is key.

Ok will stop here  :clap:  :ph34r:

I think it has. Rising entry fees. Diminishing buying power. Got the t-shirt. Over supply.

Had my Sani entry for sale since February, and only managed to offload it at a fraction of what it cost me on the Tues of registration.

No entry reservation next year - watch it turn into a 2 event race within 2 years...

Pay a fortune for a bike and refuse to pay a small fortunate for a race, just like I pay a fortune for my design workstation/gaming pc and refuse to pay R1000 for a game.

Personally it has come down to what I find "worth the price" and paying 1-5% of the price of the tool (bike, pc) to use it at an event... meh

1-5%? That is very dependant on the bike and the race. I would say the average riders bike is 50k, and the average stage race is 10k per person (incl accom), so that's 20%.

And I don't think people are refusing to pay the fees - I think more and more people are struggling to afford the fees in a sport where the price of gear, maintenance, and entry fees are escalating at a exponential rate.

Edited by Grease_Monkey