Ali Express

Brett Pearce

I ordered a few Magene cadence sensors in April and they just arrived a few weeks ago.  Very long shipping time, but the product is top quality.   

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SAPO / JIMC really is beyond bad right now!!!! diabolical dysfunctionality.

I am going to try ordering from China, ship to my freight consolidator in the US and then that comes here via Fedex in a  few day. Obviously need a few orders to make it worthwhile.

Businesses need Customs Number, otherwise personal ID No for clearing agents. Not sure what the limits on personal importing are, will try find out.

No issues with quality.

My order was shipped the same day. Took three weeks to get scanned that it has arrived in SA. 2 months later I finally received it.

The issue is not Ali Express but the South African Post Office.

My record so far with regards to the black hole of SAPO is 13 months for a Strava badge to arrive in a 10x5cm envelope.

I was so surprised I went and celebrated with a beer!

Bought skin suits at a fraction of the cost from Aliexpress. Sizing is an issue, their sizing is quite bizarre, but once you get it right the Rapha knock offs are well worth it. It did take 60 days plus to arrive 2 years ago, and longer now since the SAPO has decended into further chaos/stikeaction/mismanagement.

I am still at a loss how the minister of Post and tele-comunications actually has a job...

I am still at a loss how the minister of Post and tele-comunications actually has a job...

Because he/she supports the correct political party. Competence is optional.

Post Office is a big problem when you order from Aliexpress or any other website. Mine haven't arrived since April. I've decided not used my postal address anymore because Post Office is a real crap. From now on I'll use Aramex Global Shopper, they have more 24 shipping addresses in all the major cities and it will deliver to your door instead of the post office. No more pain! 

https://www.aramexglobalshopper.com/en/home

Good luck

Post Office is a big problem when you order from Aliexpress or any other website. Mine haven't arrived since April. I've decided not used my postal address anymore because Post Office is a real crap. From now on I'll use Aramex Global Shopper, they have more 24 shipping addresses in all the major cities and it will deliver to your door instead of the post office. No more pain! 

https://www.aramexglobalshopper.com/en/home

Good luck

Where do you ship to, from those 24 options? I'm assuming an address outside SA to avoid customs? I did a calculation now for a 1kg parcel shipped to the USA and then to SA. R300. 

In my experience the items take a week to land in SA and then you wait so long for them to be cleared/delivered by SAPO that its like getting an unexpected gift when it does arrive.

Literally this...

I have a whole bunch of small items, like 15 parcels that contain small things I can't find locally, like certain reflectors and heat shrink tubes etc etc. The majority of the items arrived in ZA within 1 or 2 weeks, but like everyone else it stopped there and is now going on 2 months- nothing unusual.

Literally this...

I have a whole bunch of small items, like 15 parcels that contain small things I can't find locally, like certain reflectors and heat shrink tubes etc etc. The majority of the items arrived in ZA within 1 or 2 weeks, but like everyone else it stopped there and is now going on 2 months- nothing unusual.

Same.

Its a surprise every time due to taking so long. I thought for a while my 17Track app on my phone was broken - until I heard that JIMC was striking. I don't hold much hope of seeing my 6 parcels, so I've started disputes on AliExpress. Yeah I know it isn't their fault, but not mine either. The "oldest" parcel left China on the 13th of June. Never had absolutely ZERO tracking movement for such a long time.

Same.

Its a surprise every time due to taking so long. I thought for a while my 17Track app on my phone was broken - until I heard that JIMC was striking. I don't hold much hope of seeing my 6 parcels, so I've started disputes on AliExpress. Yeah I know it isn't their fault, but not mine either. The "oldest" parcel left China on the 13th of June. Never had absolutely ZERO tracking movement for such a long time.

+1, I'm in the same boat. SAPO is beyond useless at the moment. I've asked all the sellers to extend their protection time until the parcels arrive. All of them were accommodating

You now also require an importers code if you order more than 3 parcels a

Year

I may be mistaken but I think it's only if you spend over R60k/R20k x 3 in a year. A buddy of mine mentioned this to me once as his Mom has like a flea market stall thing and she had to do this. But all she did was apply for this code and they gave it to her hassle free at no cost. This was a few years back so it may have changed.

I may be mistaken but I think it's only if you spend over R60k/R20k x 3 in a year. A buddy of mine mentioned this to me once as his Mom has like a flea market stall thing and she had to do this. But all she did was apply for this code and they gave it to her hassle free at no cost. This was a few years back so it may have changed.

I don't know about other areas, but it's a mission to apply for in Cape Town. They only take eight applications a day and your documentation has to be perfect, otherwise they send you away and you have to come back another day. Don't even think about filling the forms in with a blue pen.

My two orders have both arrived in the country according to the Ali-Express tracking.

One 13/08 (ordered 27/07) and the other 15/08 (ordered 08/07). No sign of them at the Post Office though

My two orders have both arrived in the country according to the Ali-Express tracking.

One 13/08 (ordered 27/07) and the other 15/08 (ordered 08/07). No sign of them at the Post Office though

No sign of ANYTHING at my local Post Office PO Box, not even a parcel sent from CT three weeks ago. I've about 5 orders o/s from China, +8 weeks

And there is no one inside the PO (customers or staff), except the queue for license renewals.

I've been importing via Parcel Post for more years than I dare to mention, never has it been so bad.

Edited by kosmonooit

And there is no one inside the PO (customers or staff), except the queue for license renewals.

Staff probably awol. Went to go expropriate some land somewhere.

No sign of ANYTHING at my local Post Office PO Box, not even a parcel sent from CT three weeks ago. I've about 5 orders o/s from China, +8 weeks

I've been importing via Parcel Post for more years than I dare to mention, never has it been so bad.

Seems like Cresta PO at the moment. Long line at license renewal