Rant - Specialized 2FO 2.0 Flat Pedals shoes

keithbe

post-49114-0-40219100-1535714030_thumb.jpg

post-49114-0-29870200-1535714037_thumb.jpg

post-49114-0-13949800-1535714042_thumb.jpg

Opinions please. Images of item attached...

Purchased 2FO 2.0, from Cedar Square (JHB), after two rides at the PWC Bike Park and Northern Farm, if anything +- 60km the left front foot toe area, pinkie toe side, started coming undone. Dropped the shoes off at Cedar square and they were sent off to Cape Town.

Received feedback today to say warranty has been declined.

Called Cape Town Head Office and spoke to Mark who actually did a report on the shoe. No, I haven't seen the "report". The warranty was declined as a result of the shoe being caught on "something". Maybe my pedals. No matter who this is taken up with me the warranty decision won't be changed - this after Mark apologising for "I'm sorry I feel that way".

One of the main points on the Specialized website is "Smooth, thermobonded upper for lightweight durability and a snag-free profile"

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/2fo-flat-2-0-mountain-bike-shoes/p/134052

After close on 4 years the impact vxi have started to come undone. Totally reasonable and exceeded expectations. Thought I'd give the new and improved 2FOs a go and never expected them to make it through through only two rides.

Beyond annoyed...

Looking to take this further and would like to know if the wear on a flat pedal shoe - that have never been ridden anywhere near the terrain of Whistler or an Enduro event (for goodness sake Northern farm & PWC??) - is acceptable after two rides due to snagging on, maybe, my pedals (Spank Spoon); or should these be considered snagged on my pedals and be done with it?

Left foot "snag" image (snagless design according to the site)

Both shoes - right shoe for reference

Sole - still in good nick

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bro.... I rode a pair of the clip version for over 2 years. They did LOTS of miles. Hard miles.

I also have the flat version and they have seen abuse. Basically me falling on my head trying to bunny hop onto the pavement thousands of times.

Neither of them have given me a moment's issue beyond wear and tear.

I even walked half of Lesotho Sky in mine trying to ride the race on a SS.

I would hazard a guess that you scuffed that on something. That is wear and tear.

There are even scratches on the front of the shoe?

Yeah, that sucks! Buuut, there is a lot of scratching on the toe box by the area that has come undone suggesting you slipped a pedal and caught your foot on something? IMO, that was likely the undoing of your warranty claim...the right shoe by comparison looks unscathed.

There is an amazing shoe repair guys in Wolfe street, next to Cafe Verdi in Wynberg, Cape Town.

(Dipak and Jairaj Parbhoo...)

I'm sure he could fix that for you chop chop.....

Seems I will need to get them repaired and hope they stick.

I still can't see how a built for purpose shoe can get snagged without any major impact mark from the pedal. Granted there are scuff marks but I am sure if the pedals dug into the shoe, and managed to snag the joining, it would most probably be distinctly visible. Much like the beauties on my shins  :blink:

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by keithbe

Gooi some contact adhesive and add them to your list of "won't buy again".

Job done.

already added to my 'won't buy ever' list  :thumbup:

Eish bru. I want to agree with you, but I just can't. Looks like you fell into a bunch of sticks or something. Can't fault Spaz for that.

Put some glue in the hole, it'll looks good as new and I promise you those shoes will last a loooong time still. My 2FO's have been going strong for at least 2 years now and something like 8000km. And I they still look great.

As much as I dislike the Specialized consumerism machine, they make great contact point products.

did you sit on them doing 90km/h....

sorry wrong thread.

Just got a PM saying I should switch to clipless and I won't have any problems :|

I'll stick to 5/10s myself  :oops:

those where on my 'to buy' list. then i bought them... should have done it yonks ago

Re-glued my specialized cadets a few days ago and they are as good as new.

Shoe glue is wonderful stuff.

Glue them and ride....