Rant - Specialized 2FO 2.0 Flat Pedals shoes

keithbe

Given the nature of MTB, surely, a MTB shoe should be able to withstand being snagged on something.

Having said that, looking at the area around the "2FO" logo, it looks pretty tatty for a shoe with only 60kms of riding.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, while they're advertised as snag free, you can see that the snag likely came from back to front, pulling the rubber toe cap away from the upper... I doubt very highly that that would be something anyone could cater for in the design process. It's clear the direction of the toe cap and design is aimed at everything coming at the shoe from front to back. Those scratches support the out of ordinary abuse, and look similar to my shoes... I get them when I use my foot to find the pedal, and when it's where I am not expecting it, scrape the upper against the pins...

I don't think you can really honestly fault the shoes design or build quality on this one, and it would have been mighty generous of specialized, who, let's face it, are not at all known for such generosity, to replace under warrantee... It's a wear issue, not a build issue...

Re-glued my specialized cadets a few days ago and they are as good as new.

Shoe glue is wonderful stuff.

Glue them and ride....

What glue did you use? I've tried Bostic contact adhesive and Shoe Goo, on 5/10s, without luck.

In all seriousness, while they're advertised as snag free, you can see that the snag likely came from back to front, pulling the rubber toe cap away from the upper... I doubt very highly that that would be something anyone could cater for in the design process. It's clear the direction of the toe cap and design is aimed at everything coming at the shoe from front to back. Those scratches support the out of ordinary abuse, and look similar to my shoes... I get them when I use my foot to find the pedal, and when it's where I am not expecting it, scrape the upper against the pins...

I don't think you can really honestly fault the shoes design or build quality on this one, and it would have been mighty generous of specialized, who, let's face it, are not at all known for such generosity, to replace under warrantee... It's a wear issue, not a build issue...

Definetely not a wear issue. I wont wear F2Os again :)

What glue did you use? I've tried Bostic contact adhesive and Shoe Goo, on 5/10s, without luck.

I used superglue on a pair of 5/10s that had similar damage to your pictures and it has held for years.

Annoyingly had a rather hard toe/pedal strike that really caught my foot hard between the pedal and a tree stump (that I swear moved...). That was on my first ride in the shoes in 2014 and they are still good to go today.

Edited by marko35s

Bro.... I rode a pair of the clip version for over 2 years. They did LOTS of miles. Hard miles.

I also have the flat version and they have seen abuse. Basically me falling on my head trying to bunny hop onto the pavement thousands of times.

Neither of them have given me a moment's issue beyond wear and tear.

I even walked half of Lesotho Sky in mine trying to ride the race on a SS.

I would hazard a guess that you scuffed that on something. That is wear and tear.

There are even scratches on the front of the shoe?

You rode Lesotho sky single speed

Did it last year, those hills are moebi.

Bought a bottle from Galmar, it's their I house brand.

Forgive my non-expert opinion, but it seems like the toe-cap is stretched where it came away from the shoe, am I right? 

Surely that could only happen if something somehow snagged it, separated it from the shoe and pulled it open?

Definitely not warranty-claim material this. While it does say it is designed to not snag, that doesn't mean it's completely snag-proof.

I used superglue on a pair of 5/10s that had similar damage to your pictures and it has held for years.

Annoyingly had a rather hard toe/pedal strike that really caught my foot hard between the pedal and a tree stump (that I swear moved...). That was on my first ride in the shoes in 2014 and they are still good to go today.

I can also highly recommend super glue for that repair, used it for similar shoe repairs many times.

That rubber looks permanently bent up so you may need to use something to hold the rubber down while the super glue dries, you can also use strips of masking tape to hold it down until the super glue is dry and then just pull the tape off.

Edited by Skylark

I find it strange that Specialized will gladly replace your smashed up helmet (50%) but on something like this they are full of nonsense.

I mean if I want a new helmet for half price, I can easily go smash it on a tree.

I also have the Clipless 2FO and after nearly two years its still in perfect condition (bit smelly...)

Glue would probably be best fix and less stressful 

good luck

I find it strange that Specialized will gladly replace your smashed up helmet (50%) but on something like this they are full of nonsense.

I mean if I want a new helmet for half price, I can easily go smash it on a tree.

I also have the Clipless 2FO and after nearly two years its still in perfect condition (bit smelly...)

Glue would probably be best fix and less stressful

good luck

The helmet replacement policy of manufacturers is there to encourage replacement of damaged helmets as this is considered essential safety equipment. I don’t think a pair of damaged shoes will compromise your safety in the same way as a damaged helmet.

this happens with sneakers and shoes.

i use clear bostik glue gently squeeze in the gap mould and let dry overnight. in the morning use a black permanent marker to colour over the glue. let dry. no one will know its a home repair and it works to prevent further delamination.

Just got a PM saying I should switch to clipless and I won't have any problems :|

Two wrongs don't make a right !!

You rode Lesotho sky single speed

Did it last year, those hills are moebi.

We did it as a rigid SS pair. It was fun.

But ja, some of those hills were a decent hike!