Commuting from Constantia to Red Cross Childrens Hospital, Cape Town

PetterWilander

Don't ride there during commute times but I'd change your route as indicated in red;

attachicon.gifCapture - Copy.JPG

Great tip. Drove their the otherday and sometimes quite narrow, but as you say, if I can beat the traffic this is the shortest way :)

The route is ok and in terms of road cycling probably the best one. I ride the m28 early fairly often as one of my.morning loops and it can be pretty hairy sometimes in terms of cars. They tend to back up in rush hour which can make it a little easier. The section just before the common feels dodgy to me because the traffic clears a little there and the cars accelerate through the dip and up to the robot.

The mtb route would definitely be the more relaxing one imo.

Good tip. Still not sure were the mtb route runs. Is there an available map somewhere? How long time would you estimate that that route would take given moderate paste?

There are also some nice sections that run along the Liesbeek River Trail. There are also some not-so-nice sections along there! But it's one of the things you have to investigate by getting off the beaten track (as one does when cycling). 

• 1 year later...

Didn't want to open a new thread ... and saw this asking about the same area.

I want to alter my current route and bypass Main Road through Wynberg and rather try getting to Rhodes from Palmyra.

Does anyone know if it safe to use the Primrose Ave footbridge across the M3 in the mornings and afternoon?  ;)

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/-33.9838267,18.4661843/-33.9934236,18.4553983/-33.9925023,18.4311887/@-33.9947748,18.4402457,14z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2?hl=en

post-20017-0-52253400-1571916659_thumb.png

Edited by Eddie_V

I want to alter my current route and bypass Main Road through Wynberg and rather try getting to Rhodes from Palmyra.

Does anyone know if it safe to use the Primrose Ave footbridge across the M3 in the mornings and afternoon?  ;)

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/-33.9838267,18.4661843/-33.9934236,18.4553983/-33.9925023,18.4311887/@-33.9947748,18.4402457,14z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2?hl=en

Have run and cycled over that foot bridge at all hours with no problems to date. Lots of security on western side - USA and UK embassies!

Edited by R-squared

Have run and cycled over that foot bridge at all hours with no problems to date. Lots of security on western side - USA and UK embassies!

Thank you .... going to try it this afternoon then   :) 

Never had or even heard of crime issues there at all.

There are also some nice sections that run along the Liesbeek River Trail. There are also some not-so-nice sections along there! But it's one of the things you have to investigate by getting off the beaten track (as one does when cycling). 

I use this route because it keeps me off the main routes and out of the traffic. Been a bit nervous since coming short and breaking an arm. A little slower but a huge lot nicer. Basically you can pick up the Liesbeeck River trail at the Main Rd (M4) Dean Street intersection in Newlands and ride long the river to the intersection with Belmont Road in Rondebosch. You then turn right over the railway bridge and end up on the edge of Rondebosch Common, from where you can use a cycle path all the way to Red Cross. It's a bit convoluted and easier to show than describe. And I cannot get Google to track it along the river trail.

Never had or even heard of crime issues there at all.

Thank you guys for your suggestions and advice. :thumbup:  

Did the route yesterday afternoon .... straight up from Main, left at Orca ...  over Victoria's footbridge all the way up to the top gate of Kirstenbosch Gardens  :o

That segment's climb is relentless .... very little reprieve for tired legs ... but it is a beautiful piece of road.  ;)  Will definitely incorporate it into my commute from here-on out.  :)

post-20017-0-16686500-1571984185_thumb.png

• 8 months later...