Name and shame - HUB Member

The Bike Vendor

Don't think you need to be a bike mechanic to discern between "good condition" and "Oh my goodness, it fell off a truck". 

From the look of his listings mr Funk seems to be more than just a person selling on behalf of a friend- more like a super enthusiastic peddler that even holds some own stock?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good day all,

I recently had a terrible experience on the Bikehub, the seller has a 96% positive rating with a total of 28 ratings.

This led me to think that I could trust the seller, he stays in the Western Cape. It was my first time buying a bike without seeing, also my last.

I called the seller after seeing the ad about a Cannondale Scalpel that I liked, I asked him all the general questions that I could think of, he even sent me some extra pictures and all looked in order. The bike was a complete mess when I received it. I spoke to the seller about all of the issues, he simply said he was selling it on behalf of his friend / brother and that this person has left the country. I said that I would courier the bike back for a refund and then also take the knock on the shipping he just said, "No". 

- Groupset Condition 

I asked him if all was in order and he said the bike is mechanically sound.

When I received the bike it was a wreck, the front derailleur did not even want to move from the small to the big ring, it is a 2 x 10 SRAM X9 / X7 groupset. The chain, cassette and rings were all worn to the max. I ended up replacing the entire groupset to a brand new system. This set me back R4000 for a new groupset, I could still use the crank.

- Rear Suspension Condition

Rockshox Monarch XX, was almost not working at all it only moved about 10% of the travel, even when deflating the air pressure. I played with it and figured out that the XX Lever needed a bleed, I bled it and it was perfect, open and shut.  

- Lefty Condition

I asked him about the lefty as I know that they can give issues if not maintained, the seller assured me that all was well.

The lefty was a MESS, while riding if you steer left there was a lag between the movement of the bars and the wheel (play on the lefty). I sent it away and the guys said it was a total mess, that ended up costing me R2 500.

- Brakes Condition 

I asked him about these AVID ELIXR brakes as I also know that they can give issues if not maintained, the seller assured me that all was well.

Both the pads were contaminated, no braking power at all and the noise was terrible, I ended up replacing both pads @ R 400 a set ( R 800)

- The crank condition

As I took the bike out of the box when receiving it I saw 2 different pedals on the left and right, Shimano 520 and 540. I made nothing of this, until I tried to remove the pedal. The entire thread was stripped, it was not budging at all.  Iended up taking off the pedal body from the axle, grinded the axle flat on both sides and finally got it out with the help of a vice grip. After I got the pedal out I saw that the pedal was cross threaded and forced in.

Be careful when buying without seeing the bike, there are still a few crooks among us. I have a pretty good knowledge of bicycles and I got scammed by this seller.

Seeing that I could not come to terms with the seller regarding the damages, I would make a post about this.

He still has active ads on the hub, details below.

Name: Joe Funk

https://www.bikehub.co.za/user/17282-joe-funk/

Seller Contact No: 082 735 8962

I agree that the bike definitely sounds like it was in much worse condition that advertised. But why did you spend soo much money fixing it and only then complain on the hub. Why didn't you try and fight this more after he said no before spending any money?

in my mind once you've spent the money to fix it you've accepted the situation and moved on. I'm not saying it's right but you should have fought a bit more and maybe gone public before spending the money.

If the seller agreed to take the bike back now you're going to have to undo all the fixes you've made. Or he gives you back what you paid for the bike originallyand you loose all the money you spent fixing the bike up.

so here we go.

i advertised the bike on behalf of some1 .

i get a call from the buyer saying hes interested in buying the bike.

the buyer then neg on the price advertised and we agreed to a price drop.

we then start chatting about the bike,yes i did say its in good working condition.to my knowledge the bike was.in my defense i am not a bike mechanic.

i  mention to the buyer that its not my bike so i can only give info to what i can see on the bike i aslo said that the bike was not used for a while so was standing .after all of that the buy was still happy to buy the bike.

if you look at my rating people that bought items from me or MY personal item are happy.

yes i tried to get hold of the guy but no reply from hes side.

You have 4 bikes for sale and you give this reply.. seriously you could come up with something better.

I agree that the bike definitely sounds like it was in much worse condition that advertised. But why did you spend soo much money fixing it and only then complain on the hub. Why didn't you try and fight this more after he said no before spending any money?

yep

if i was joe funk i would give original money back

get the fixed bike back and then resell it with all the upgrades

or perhaps the op doesnt really want a refund

Buying any product second hand unseen carries inherent risk. More so when it’s a bicycle with moving parts and even more so when it’s a MTB with moving disposable parts that are constantly somewhere between brand new and worn out .

One man’s idea of the state of said parts is always going to differ from another’s.

So, if buying unseen, negotiate into the deal if you not happy then can send it back maybe ?

Not sure these issues can ever be fairly solved by debate with multiple parties. But the gen pop here sure loves the entertainment

yep

if i was joe funk i would give original money back

get the fixed bike back and then resell it with all the upgrades

or perhaps the op doesnt really want a refund

Maybe the OP don't want the refund and just warning other hubbers out there. This is not the first time I've heard of situations like this. Also, "selling on behalf of a friend is always the easy way out". 

Was also wondering that, as there is not really an option for the bike to be return, at best the actual previous owner can refund a partial amount to make up for the some of the repair costs (ie the difference between the actual quality and the advertised value)

How?

Seeing this seller sells goods often, its sounds like its a sideline business which then brings CPA into the picture .. sooo….

If anything you buy fails, or turns out to be defective or unsafe –

• You can return the goods to the supplier – without penalty, and at the supplier’s risk and expense – within 6 months of delivery, and
  • You can require the supplier to give you a full refund, or to replace the goods, or to repair them. The choice is yours; the supplier cannot dictate your options to you.
Edited by Karman de Lange

CPA is your friend

cpa doesnt apply to private sales

"The CPA would protect a buyer who buys a car from a dealer. However, a private sale of property is not a transaction which falls within the ambit of the CPA, as you were not acting within the ordinary course of your business, and therefore the common law position applies".

Maybe the OP don't want the refund and just warning other hubbers out there. This is not the first time I've heard of situations like this. Also, "selling on behalf of a friend is always the easy way out". 

Also, I must add, that when you negotiate and the seller drops the price because the friend said he can do so.. then unfortunately you have no leg to stand on. 

Me personally, I don't negotiate, my price is my price as I know my goods.. If you not happy, return it in the same condition and I will gladly give a full refund no questions asked.

I did what I could to get my money back, but he was not cooperating.

I have made peace with the loss, I made this post so that people are aware of what happened.