Name and shame - HUB Member

The Bike Vendor

Not too sound like the grammer police (I am sure I make many such errors and spelling mistakes), but personally, if the communication between me and him was in the same vain as his post on this thread, it would have been a no go on the transaction.

Again, it’s a personal box on the checklist.

- Do not buy from someone that use sms language, emoticons and other shorthand when discussing a R15,000 plus transaction. Heck, make that a R5,000 plus transaction

My exact thought when I read his first response.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too sound like the grammer police (I am sure I make many such errors and spelling mistakes), but personally, if the communication between me and him was in the same vain as his post on this thread, it would have been a no go on the transaction.

- Do not buy from someone that use sms language, emoticons and other shorthand when discussing a R15,000 plus transaction. Heck, make that a R5,000 plus transaction

This

Unless I missed something, I cant see any sms language (typin lyk dis, u no), emoticons or shorthand on his post here? He just didnt start his sentences with capitals.. I completely agree this guy pulled a fast one, he clearly buys and sells, and is only in it for the dollar - im not supporting him at all. But i wouldn't mind too much about emoticons when dealing with someone????. Everything doesnt need to be so serious.

I always wonder why someone would sell "on behalf of someone else". Is it because

a) Their friend does not own a PC/smartphone

b) Friend was born without hands and can't type

c) It's an easy cop-out when the sale goes south

I advertise stuff on behalf of friends,colleagues etc, most of them dont enjoy the PT it takes to complete a sale, however i make it very clear upfront the goods are not mine and also use the owners contact details in the ad.

I also make it very clear to the seller that upon recieving the goods, should the buyer feel things were not disclosed upfront they need to be prepared to refund the buyer less any cost agreed upfront such as postage etc as my reputation is on the line.

I have had cases where guys questioned the condition on certain things (especially those buying from up north) but always came to solution that works for both parties.

certain people do use it as an escape route but thats not true for probably majority of the people.

Edited by Malpiet

In your defense it is possible you could have sold the bike without noticing any of the damage referred to (most of it would require riding the bike or bringing out some basic tools which you might not have done). But... once it all was brought to your attention by the buyer, what do you think you SHOULD have done? In your own words, what DID you actually do to try and fix the situation?

You do a lot of trading (251 past ads on the hub) so it's worth taking a few minutes to respond to this.

251 past ads + all the lame excuses ????

Makes me wonder where Mr Funk gets all these items to sell on the hub...

Some of the Stuff People are Selling on the Hub is just Ridiculous and Sometimes Ridiculously Priced. Better to go to a Shop and see what you buying. I've never yet seen a sweet deal on the Hub Oh yes I did once it was a pair of Saints Pedals for R250.(almost new).

Some of the Stuff People are Selling on the Hub is just Ridiculous and Sometimes Ridiculously Priced. Better to go to a Shop and see what you buying. I've never yet seen a sweet deal on the Hub Oh yes I did once it was a pair of Saints Pedals for R250.(almost new).

Wait for it !

251 past ads + all the lame excuses ????

Makes me wonder where Mr Funk gets all these items to sell on the hub...

I've asked myself the exact question????

I agree

Never buy a bike with half it's front forks missing!

;-)

Post of the YEAR !!!!

Was going to say something in the same line but just could not find the words.

Yours is classic.

Back to the issue:

I suspect that seller did not sell it on behalf of someone else.

Seller more than likely bought the bike from "friend/brother"

May not have realized it is a dud.

Sold the bike for a profit.

Buyer unhappy

What now - would loose big time if he refunded buyer and be stuck with dud.

Takes his chances but is about to get bitten in the butt.

If the issue is not resolved amicably I would suggest that seller is banned from thehub.

He should at least compensate buyer with costs of repairs.

Edited by porqui

1000 post count people don't sell rubbish. The reason for this is that that they clearly have so much spare time that when not on the hub they are making sure the items they sell are cleaned, checked and in good working order. Then back to posting. This post just got me nearer 1000 so in just another 30 years I won't be dodgy. Old though and and possibly upgrading wheelchair parts on wheelchair hub

Edited by Waynemol

Thats cause the sweet deals dont stay up for longer than a few minutes. If you check all classifieds every hour or so you get lucky sooner or later. Ive struck some insane deals on here. But you really need to spend a lot of time on here checking, and then be willing to drop everything and go meet up ASAP. Also most bargains tend to pop in the gauteng region, not sure why.

1000 post count people don't sell rubbish. The reason for this is that that they clearly have so much spare time that when not on the hub they are making sure the items they sell are cleaned, checked and in good working order. Then back to posting. This post just got me nearer 1000 so in just another 30 years I won't be dodgy. Old though and and possibly upgrading wheelchair parts on wheelchair hub

Sarcasm?

The 1000 post rule is not as silly as it sounds. The logic behind it is that someone who has posted 1000 times here has clearly put alot of time and effort into this place and are part of a community - most regulars here know each other personally (or at least a few others here personally). Duping/scamming someone really damages that reputation - something someone with 1000+ post count is less likely to do. Someone with only a few posts, and no presence or involvement past a simple screen name/avatar can just delete the account and create a new one - they have nothing to lose.

Personally I do deal with members with less than 1000 posts, and no trader feedback, I am just more inclined to be a bit more careful - ie: inspect first, pay cash when I pick uo the item, only buy local. If it's someone I "know" on the hub I will be more liberal with how I pay, maybe have it couriered to me from another city without inspection, etc.

Not foolproof, but so far it's worked for me.

Edited by Grease_Monkey