Juicy 3 brake lever a bit stuck

Piernas Flacas

I wish I didn't have to do maintenance on that bike anymore as everything is getting very old, but my girlfriend loves that bike.

Anyway, I noticed that the rear brake lever was kind of too high and engaging the rotor too soon with very little travel so I decided to do some maintenance after about 4 years of neglect.

So I bought brand new DOT 5.1 fluid, I totally drained the circuit, gave the calipers and pistons a good clean and followed the standard tedious Avid bleeding process in the manual. I also made use of the bleed blocks.

There is a step in the process where the lever is pulled all the way and then gradually released while pressing the syringe on the rear caliper side. I noticed too much resistance from the lever (compared to the front brake) but I managed to get it back in position and made sure the rest of the process was done properly and no bubbles where left inside.

At the end the result was not much different to what the problem was before the bleeding. There's very little travel when the lever is pulled and it engages the rotor almost instantly. I wonder if there are parts inside the lever that would need maintenance as well to make the lever action smooth and responsive again or should I rather toss these brakes? The front brake has no issues and the bleeding process was normal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Avid.

I know... it sucks. Just to put the pads back in!!! half an hour to get it right. I replaced my Shimano Deore pads on my other bike in 1 minute.

I know... it sucks. Just to put the pads back in!!! half an hour to get it right. I replaced my Shimano Deore pads on my other bike in 1 minute.

Say what !!! Explain what takes you that long to do.

It takes me less than 5 min both sides, adjusted/centered and running smoothly.

Say what !!! Explain what takes you that long to do.

It takes me less than 5 min both sides, adjusted/centered and running smoothly.

It was very difficult to seat them. You push the pads in and the clip on the other side pops out so you have to keep it in place firmly with one hand while you try to make the pads click onto it while keeping them aligned with the spring thingy with the other hand. Shimano ones you just slide them in an slide the lock pin easily.

Not doubting you, but on which Avid / Juicy brakes was that?

You sure you followed the correct procedure, there is really nothing to it. Very easy in only a few steps.

Not doubting you, but on which Avid / Juicy brakes was that?

You sure you followed the correct procedure, there is really nothing to it. Very easy in only a few steps.

Juicy 3. I must say that the front caliper was easier than the rear. I guess depends on frame/fork types. The thing is that the pads need to be placed from below the caliper and that makes it more difficult. In contrast, Shimano Deore's are just slid from the top of the caliper which makes it easier IMHO.

Might be a bit much fluid in the system. Sometimes the lever procedure you described can end up doing that if you give to much pressure in the syringe.

Try open the bleed screw in the lever and then push pads apart slightly. Just do so carefully so as not to let air into the system. Should help you problem.

(Avid haters go find another thread, the OP just wants help, he didn't ask about Shimano)