The Cannibal Thread - Eddy Merckx

DJR

you wore the white tape to show you where a pro who didnt fiddle with your own greasy dirty bits because you had a mech to do your fiddling for you ...........or because you where a giant wannabe :whistling:  ^_^

:D​ I tried a white saddle and white bar tape once.......NEVER again! The first time I dropped a chain it was a mess! Now all my bikes have black tape and black saddles! 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D​ I tried a white saddle and white bar tape once.......NEVER again! The first time I dropped a chain it was a mess! Now all my bikes have black tape and black saddles! 

back in the day if you where a junior or a newbie and you turned up for club practice or a race with white tape ,you got funny looks then a clip round your earhole when nobody could see - white was a pro thing only .......but im with you white anything on a bicycle is a nightmare :P (especially white bibs) :unsure:

Can’t wait to see her. Love the Motorola scheme. Going to turn this frame into a Motorola bike

A Motorola Corsa Extra, like Lance is riding above, that is what I'm building with the Dura Ace groupset I got from you. Should be done in the next few weeks.

back in the day if you where a junior or a newbie and you turned up for club practice or a race with white tape ,you got funny looks then a clip round your earhole when nobody could see - white was a pro thing only .......but im with you white anything on a bicycle is a nightmare :P (especially white bibs) :unsure:

There is the story about Gary Player seeing a young pro wearing white trousers.

"You aren't good enough to wear white" Player told him and sure enough, after the round his pants told the story of a round spent in the rough....

Edited by eddy

back in the day if you where a junior or a newbie and you turned up for club practice or a race with white tape ,you got funny looks then a clip round your earhole when nobody could see - white was a pro thing only .......but im with you white anything on a bicycle is a nightmare :P (especially white bibs) :unsure:

Back in the day when I started racing (which was when Merckx was king) if you wore socks to an open race  they had to be white. And shoes and shorts had to be black.

except your casquette..

You don't perhaps have a Merckx or a Motorola one that you'll let go to a good home? 

I had a Team Joker yellow Reynolds 753 Merckx frame in the mid 80s - full Super Record with a Regal saddle and Mavic GEL280s, followed by a pearl white 753 as an insurance replacement after I tested the 753-crashes-but-once theory. Both bought through Bernard Martini at Chris Willemse's shop at the bottom of Long Street in Cape Town. Both were a joy. I miss them. 

The Joker one looked a little like this: 

'87, '88, '89

Feeling slightly ancient now.

post-86413-0-89453200-1537198406_thumb.jpg

post-86413-0-00028300-1537198421_thumb.jpg

post-86413-0-48208800-1537198439_thumb.jpg

I read his biography earlier this year. It truly was amazing - as you said he raced everything and anything and wasn't interested in anything else but winning.

His attacks from distance were legendary - until Froome in the Giro we hadn't seen anything like it in recent times.

My first road bike was a yellow Merckx frame - steel. I sold it and i know the guy who has got it but he won't sell it back to me. I want that frame back....