JEAN SPIES -The Road to 2020

Rolling Stone

JEAN SPIES Wins First UCI European Track Race

Riding at speeds of up to 70 kph on an outdoor 333 metre concrete track saw South African Jean Spies win the kierin event in Prague.

GP Framar is a track event that has been happening for several years, a UCI class two event, sees a fair number of high-ranking sprinters participate in their own chase for UCI points.

Fast and hard racing in both the kierin and sprint event (held yesterday), had everyone on their toes. Smaller numbers made sure that those on the list would give it their all hoping to out ride the other person.

The kierin saw twelve riders on start list, meaning it was a straight semi-final. The first three riders qualify for the big final or main final, and the next three for the small final. Jean finished second in the semi-finals after a tactical race, earning him a space in the main final. A first for him in international racing.

A final full of strategy and massive accelerations saw speeds of 70 kph, timing his own acceleration to perfection, Jean crossed the line with a slight gap on the second rider, making it another “1st” for him. A win in a UCI European Track race.

Yesterday (Saturday 8th September), the sprint event took place. Normal procedure of the 200-meter qualifying was followed, before a slight change. The top nine riders would face each other in a 3-up sprint, over four rounds. Each round the riders would earn points depending on their result. Jean qualified in 9th with a time of 10.571 secs.  Securing three 2nd places and a third. The points tally had him in tied 7th, which meant he had one extra ride. A Sprint off for 6th and 7th position. Pushing his own limits, he clocked a speed of 72kmph as he out sprinted his opponent to secure his 6th place. Another “1st” as it is his highest international sprint result.

” I am incredibly happy to take the win in the kierin today. The whole weekend has been fast and tactical racing, meaning every race was hard and many lessons learnt. I would like to dedicate this win to George Perrins and his family as they have recently lost their mother.

I would like to add a special thank you to all those special people and sponsors who support me and believe in me on this journey to Olympics 2020. I am truly blessed and grateful. Thank you”

A great result at the end of four weeks racing international events in Europe

post-46945-0-82930000-1536582209_thumb.jpg

Great news

BTW did / does Jeans dad still race?

He is still on the racing scene. I saw him riding the Panorama tour earlier this year.

Great news

BTW did / does Jeans dad still race?

Yep he does - and still races HARD...he's a proper tough old bull. :eek: - broke his bad foot a couple weeks back and still rode on the rollers...

Back to Jean tho, he has put in huge amounts of effort and sacrifice into this and and I am proud of his achievements. I know this as he stays with me when in SA and my wife is his manager - so she too has put in a lot of sacrifices in terms of traveling with him to the main events and doing all the admin that goes into the back end - booking flights, accommodation, race entries, chasing UCI points  :clap:

To put marginal gains into perspective, he went to the UK a few months back for aero testing and the gains achieved out of that testing were eye opening. Tyre choices, wheel and gearing choices are made based on the days barometric pressure and humidity for that day - regardless of indoor or outdoor tracks.

He has managed to secure an Avanti bike from the NZ team (used) and that has made a world of difference as well - he was semi sponsored (bought at a discount) wheels from Walker Brothers which have also helped. 

Of course all these items and travel cost massive amounts of money and he has been blessed with a UK sponsor, Velusso, that has basically funded this journey so far. Not to mention the product sponsors that have assisted with the finer details like Adidas eyewear, Panda sports gear, Kranked casual clothing, PTS nutrition to name a couple.

I know he is grateful for all the support  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I truly admire SA sportsmen and women who have the ability and the drive to chase their dreams under difficult conditions and without any support and help from our sporting bodies. Go Jean! :thumbup:  :clap:  

Yep he does - and still races HARD...he's a proper tough old bull. :eek: - broke his bad foot a couple weeks back and still rode on the rollers...

Back to Jean tho, he has put in huge amounts of effort and sacrifice into this and and I am proud of his achievements. I know this as he stays with me when in SA and my wife is his manager - so she too has put in a lot of sacrifices in terms of traveling with him to the main events and doing all the admin that goes into the back end - booking flights, accommodation, race entries, chasing UCI points :clap:

To put marginal gains into perspective, he went to the UK a few months back for aero testing and the gains achieved out of that testing were eye opening. Tyre choices, wheel and gearing choices are made based on the days barometric pressure and humidity for that day - regardless of indoor or outdoor tracks.

He has managed to secure an Avanti bike from the NZ team (used) and that has made a world of difference as well - he was semi sponsored (bought at a discount) wheels from Walker Brothers which have also helped.

Of course all these items and travel cost massive amounts of money and he has been blessed with a UK sponsor, Velusso, that has basically funded this journey so far. Not to mention the product sponsors that have assisted with the finer details like Adidas eyewear, Panda sports gear, Kranked casual clothing, PTS nutrition to name a couple.

I know he is grateful for all the support :thumbup:

I remember him as a little laatjie at mtb races that his dad used to attend, great to hear and see how he has “grown up”

If he ever needs a place to stay in switz I can can help him out