Tour de France 2019

gummibear

And just like that Bardet moves into 2nd in King of the Mountains, 16 points behind Tim Wellens...I think

Results at col d’Izoard, km 133:
1. Damiano Caruso, 40 points
2. Romain Bardet, 30
3. Julien Bernard, 24
4. Adam Yates, 20
5. Michael Woods, 16
6. Nairo Quintana, 12
7. Alexey Lutsenko, 8
8. Lennard Kämna, 4
Yellow jersey group at 5’10’’.

He could be in the Polka Dots tonight if he gets some more points on the Galibier

Edited by Swift&Aero

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone that can explain this team tactic? No confidence in quintana from movistar?

Either he's there for a Landa attack to jump across and pace him up the Galibier so Movistar are now making it hard, shelling as many riders as they can before getting close and he goes. Or Quintana isn't wanting to play domestique as he's off to Arkea next year and no F's given towards Landa. To be fair Mikel has never really been shy of being ambitious and forcing the 'trident' of leaders in that team and the recent comments from both sides have been pretty icy. 

still early days ;)

ah the ol' Sir Dave B master plan is coming to fruition! Truthfully though most of them will come back on the way down towards the Galibier so why burn matches if you don't need to. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

And just like that Bardet moves into 2nd in King of the Mountains, 16 points behind Tim Wellens...I think

Results at col d’Izoard, km 133:

1. Damiano Caruso, 40 points

2. Romain Bardet, 30

3. Julien Bernard, 24

4. Adam Yates, 20

5. Michael Woods, 16

6. Nairo Quintana, 12

7. Alexey Lutsenko, 8

8. Lennard Kämna, 4

Yellow jersey group at 5’10’’.

He could be in the Polka Dots tonight if he gets some more points on the Galibier

Sorry, make that 18 points behind for Bardet. Galibier will determine who wears the Polka Dots tonight:

"Tim Wellens virtually leads the KOM competition with 74 points after the col d’Izoard. He’s followed by Romain Bardet, 56, Thibaut Pinot, 50, Damiano Caruso, 40, Thomas De Gendt, 38, Julian Alaphilippe, 33, Giulio Ciccone, 30, Simon Yates, 29, and Xandro Meurisse, 27. At col du Galibier, the next climb on the menu, 40, 30, 24, 20, 16, 12, 8 and 4 points will be awarded to the eight first riders. Caruso needs to be first at the Galibier to dethrone Wellens today. If the Sicilian doesn’t do it, Bardet will become the King of the Mountains if he makes the top 4, providing that Wellens doesn’t come across to contest more points."

Umm, What is Movistar doing? First the close the gap to Quintana but then dont launch Landa? They should wait for the other GC riders to start chasing Quintana, then attach over the top of that.

Umm, What is Movistar doing? First the close the gap to Quintana but then dont launch Landa? They should wait for the other GC riders to start chasing Quintana, then attach over the top of that.

Movistar have been playing this game for how many years now and apart from in this years Giro I've never seen them anywhere close to making it work. 

Yip. Only Thomas, Bernal and Poels left in yellow jersey group

But Dylan van Baarle is also in the Wellens group up the road. With him that makes four riders on Galibier... actually looks pretty good for them.

Edited by S-Bike

But Dylan van Baarle is also in the Wellens group up the road. With him that makes four riders on Galibier... actually looks pretty good for them.

Movistar have Quintana in first group and Amador in 2nd group, 17s down and closing. Then they have Valverde and Soler with Landa... If they don't make big gains with this strategic position I would be seriously confused.

Movistar have Quintana in first group and Amador in 2nd group, 17s down and closing. Then they have Valverde and Soler with Landa... If they don't make big gains with this strategic position I would be seriously confused.

Oh, there is another group 1min36 up the road of the Yellow jersey, with Quintanilla from Movistar....

So many pieces, how do they play their moves...?

5v5 and Visma have 5 as well, but all in the peloton. 

Movistar's moto is : Should've, could've, would've ......... but didn't

Yes- Ineos not looking as commanding as usual. In the past they would have send a number of super domestiques to the front to ride the group into the ground until there were only a few left and then Thomas would have attacked. Them not doing it in this way might be an indication that Thomas isn't feeling so strong and would be the one to suffer from this approach or the domestiques themselves are not up to it. 

The "poor" show we have seen from this far reminds me of when Froome won the Giro... I just have a feeling that they have eyed the last three stages as days on which massive time gains could be made and are biding their time...

Edited by S-Bike

Yes- Ineos not looking as commanding as usual. In the past they would have send a number of super domestiques to the front to ride the group into the ground until there were only a few left and then Thomas would have attacked. Them not doing it in this way might be an indication that Thomas isn't feeling so strong and would be the one to suffer from this approach or the domestiques themselves are not up to it. 

The "poor" show we have seen from this far reminds me of when Froome won the Giro... I just have a feeling that they have eyed the last three stages as days on which massive time gains could be made and are biding their time...

Agree, but they need to take energy out of peoples legs today otherwise they could hang on in the next 2 days and limit losses.