Need help with tubeless setup

JScottP

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I reading this right, tubeless rims don't need tape?

How do you stop the air getting out the spoke holes?

Or am i the confused one. the only thing a tubeless wheel helps you with is not required the black conversion strips.

s-l300.jpg

I can't remember the last time I used those terrible black Stans rim strips.

I just tape up the rim with gorilla tape, add a tubeless valve, sealant and a whole lot of air.

The hole is a vent to release gases during welding. You'll find them on chainstays and seatstays on alu and steel frames too.

The more you know...

That hole should be in the "enclosed" space below the rim bed - it shouldn't affect the tubeless part of the rim in any way.

That hole should be in the "enclosed" space below the rim bed - it shouldn't affect the tubeless part of the rim in any way.

It shouldn't, unless you don't seat the valve properly like I did and the air disappears down the valve hole and out that hole :thumbdown:

Kransie is right. The rim bead is only a secondary consideration. A proper tubeless rim has a continuous sealed spoke bed that does not require taping to close off the spoke holes

My American Classic V30's are tubeless and don't have a sealed rim bed. They are considered 'proper'.

• 3 years later...

The Ryder tape will work as long as there are no holes or perforations in it. If it was sold as rim tap, then you should have no issues. To be honest most tapes will work and I have done a few rims with plain old insulation tape. The key is to make sure the rims are clean and free of anything that will cause the tape not to stick properly.

1 hour ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Reviving this thread instead of making a new one

Does anyone have experience using this rimtape? Is it decent quality? I bought some Ryder tubeless tape, but it is just duct tape, and I see all over the place that duct tape is no good for tubeless....

Check this out on takealot: Tubeless Rim Tape 30mm x 66m
https://www.takealot.com/tubeless-rim-tape-30mm-x-66m/PLID72897105

I use duct tape, works fine. Buy a thick roll and cut it down the middle, that takes a while.

That tape is very expensive compared to the exact same roll at a bike shop for R299. But ya, any tape does the job. I have also used Gorilla and duct tape before. The advantage of the yellow stuff is that the tire tend to seed easier. 

1 minute ago, RobertWhitehead said:

That tape is very expensive compared to the exact same roll at a bike shop for R299. But ya, any tape does the job. I have also used Gorilla and duct tape before. The advantage of the yellow stuff is that the tire tend to seed easier. 

I think it's that much because it''s so long - 66m. The Stans tape for R299 is only 9m. Here is a 10 meter roll for R135 at Takelot: https://www.takealot.com/tubeless-rim-tape-28mm-x-10m/PLID72897087

3 minutes ago, HenryS said:

I think it's that much because it''s so long - 66m. The Stans tape for R299 is only 9m. Here is a 10 meter roll for R135 at Takelot: https://www.takealot.com/tubeless-rim-tape-28mm-x-10m/PLID72897087

Mine is 66m in length. It is a monster roll. Even these are cheaper, I mean if you buy 3 of these you'll be sitting on 70m for still lower than what charge: 

https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/ryder-tubeless-rim-tape/

16 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

I use duct tape, works fine. Buy a thick roll and cut it down the middle, that takes a while.

I used a hack saw to split a roll of the cheaper silver tape. Guess I do not have enough bikes to EVER finish the amount of "rim tape" I know have.

3 minutes ago, peetwindhoek said:

I used a hack saw to split a roll of the cheaper silver tape. Guess I do not have enough bikes to EVER finish the amount of "rim tape" I know have.

https://www.builders.co.za/Fasteners-Fixtures-%26-Security/Tapes-Seal-Strips-%26-Bubble-Wrap/Tapes-General/Sellotape-Aluminium-Foil-Tape---Silver-(48mm-x-50m-x-105mm)/p/000000000000163798

I used this and cut it with a hack saw down the middle. This gives you 100m of tape for R160. Works for me.

21 minutes ago, peetwindhoek said:

I use a sharp knife, keep cleaning the sticky glue off the knife with paraffin.