Recovery - What do you use or do?

Who uses something like Polar flow, Training Peaks or Garmin's equivalent to track their cardio load/TRIMP/recovery/form? 

I'm curious to know if these estimates are used by "serious" athletes or not? 

From my personal experience with Polar flow, the estimates can be a bit poor... showing either detraining in a recovery week or over-reaching mid-way through a training block, which is probably right, but it's not like I stop or reduce my training. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who uses something like Polar flow, Training Peaks or Garmin's equivalent to track their cardio load/TRIMP/recovery/form?

I'm curious to know if these estimates are used by "serious" athletes or not?

From my personal experience with Polar flow, the estimates can be a bit poor... showing either detraining in a recovery week or over-reaching mid-way through a training block, which is probably right, but it's not like I stop or reduce my training.

Go to http://intervals.icu - it shows the PMC and also various zones. The latest update is one of the best... showing when you’re over/under trained, visually too.

The developer is a hubber, and uses “our” feedback to improve the data displayed. Go to this thread for more info: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/178806-intervalsicu-interval-detection-and-training-tool/

Edited by Frosty

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I need some advice. Lately I am struggling with my energy levels. I got ill a week ago and ever since I feel a bit weird actually, in the sense of I lost my will power to get on the bike - something I never had a problem with...

When I got sick (normal flu) my GP suggested that I should get a recovery shake. He told me I should go talk to the reps at Dischem/Clicks but I feel that my chances would be better here on the Hub.

To give context, I used to do 10 hours plus per week on the bike followed by a week recovery (3 weeks on, 1 week off, repeat). I work full-time in retail, my monthly hours are 195 sometimes even a bit more. I do have Vitamin D deficiency and I am on supplements, one of my culprits for feeling fatigued the whole time.

My diet is pretty healthy and I avoid junk food where I can. I do not eat a lot of sugars, in fact I hate sweet stuff, more a 'sout tand' and completely ditched white bread (glutenintolerans).

So, it is quite frustrating for me to feel so low energized... Definitely impacts my cycling.

But I know there is a lot of factors that plays a crucial rule: Stress, sleep and general well-being, but with that being said I did notice after a hard week of cycling and work, my body takes a dip and sometimes I recover from it and like last week my body could not.

Not sure if I'll benefit from a recovery shake or more specific a whey protein shake? Any input will be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Hi guys,

I need some advice. Lately I am struggling with my energy levels. I got ill a week ago and ever since I feel a bit weird actually, in the since of I lost my will power to get on the bike - something I never had a problem with...

When I got sick (normal flu) my GP suggested that I should get a recovery shake. He told me I should go talk to the reps at Dischem/Clicks but I feel that my chances would be better here on the Hub.

To give context, I used to do 10 hours plus per week on the bike followed by a week recovery (3 weeks on, 1 week off, repeat). I work full-time in retail, my monthly hours are 195 sometimes even a bit more. I do have Vitamin D deficiency and I am on supplements, one of my culprits for feeling fatigued the whole time.

My diet is pretty healthy and I avoid junk food where I can. I do not eat a lot of sugars, in fact I hate sweet stuff, more a 'sout tand' and completely ditched white bread (glutenintolerans).

So, it is quite frustrating for me to feel so low energized... Definitely impacts my cycling.

But I know there is a lot of factors that plays a crucial rule: Stress, sleep and general well-being, but with that being said I did notice after a hard week of cycling and work, my body takes a dip and sometimes I recover from it and like last week my body could not.

Not sure if I'll benefit from a recovery shake or more specific a whey protein shake? Any input will be appreciated, thanks.

I think mostly these supplements are snake oil. there is some benefit in a protein addition to a fruit smoothie, but try and keep to a supplement that has very few other ingredients.

My recovery regime has mostly been rest and beer. 

In my opinion, it will be of greater benefit doing easier rides during the week, and keeping the higher intensity/duration stuff for the week-ends. 

Hi guys,

I need some advice. Lately I am struggling with my energy levels. I got ill a week ago and ever since I feel a bit weird actually, in the since of I lost my will power to get on the bike - something I never had a problem with...

I had the same problem and what worked for me was take time off and have fun on your bike for a few weeks coffee rides if on the road and if you MTB i just go for short rides but must be the fun stuff. im also in retail, im now starting to ramp up hours on the bike slowly again.

Have a blood test and check all vitamin levels before taking supplements otherwise just a waste of good money

Check Vitaman B12 and iron

Edited by Stanleynel

Everyone is different. When I feel dips in energy levels I take out one of my old roadbikes and do gentle 30 to 50km rides. I also changed to using old fashioned Game in one bottle and having jungle oats before longer rides. Probably no science in the game but it's made huge difference as I dehydrate super easily and nothing else I tried worked previously.

I also agree with time off but personally I have to be careful with this option because I like food and beer.

I think mostly these supplements are snake oil. there is some benefit in a protein addition to a fruit smoothie, but try and keep to a supplement that has very few other ingredients.

My recovery regime has mostly been rest and beer. 

In my opinion, it will be of greater benefit doing easier rides during the week, and keeping the higher intensity/duration stuff for the week-ends. 

Unfortunately in retail there is no such thing as weekends...

I had the same problem and what worked for me was take time off and have fun on your bike for a few weeks coffee rides if on the road and if you MTB i just go for short rides but must be the fun stuff. im also in retail, im now starting to ramp up hours on the bike slowly again.

Thanks for the feedback Hamstring, I will take a few weeks easy and just have fun. Before I got sick, I did manage to ramp up my hours quite nicely. Now the trick is the get back into the rhythm. But like you said, I will take it easy and take it from there.

Have a blood test and check all vitamin levels before taking supplements otherwise just a waste of good money

Check Vitaman B12 and iron

I did a blood test 4-months ago and all my levels were fine expect for my Vitamin D which was quite low. So yeah, then supplements will be a waste of good money.

• 1 year later...