MTB hermanus

Meezo

curious to do the klipspringer full? Is the singletrack nice? Im in hermanus for 2 weeks and might drive out there.

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/jcl/new%20maps/WBay%20mtb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the full Klipspringer is mainly jeep track (twee spoor, don't try to cross lanes across the middlemannetjie - it will probably catch you).  Treat it like single track and you will be fine.

topsy tyrvy (up and flat), sean's surprise (down) and stairway to heaven (up) are single track sections.  You join the red route near the end which is single track with some drops and jumps as well as some berms.

If you want fun and a work out do the red at Lomond and cross the dam to Boesmansrivier and do all 4 downhills. http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/jcl/new%20maps/boesmans.jpg

That should be more than 25 km on mostly really nice single track and a good workout too. 

The entry to Boesmans is opp a farmhouse (first farmhouse on the left on the 215 road), not sure if it is signposted yet.  climb over the gate (there is a sign there) and just follow the single track.  Remember the way back.

If you come across a closed gate and you open it, please close it again (Sorry, sounds obvious, but not to all =)  )

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/jcl/new%20maps/WBay%20mtb.jpg

sorry, where does this trail start ?

Would love to try the 17km route .... possibly with some "padkos" and make it into a nice trip with Maritz ....  He has done the 12km loop of Hermanus trails with me a couple of times

Point A at Lomond

The green loop is jeep track to the bridge and gravel road back.

I would either do the red 12km, but leave out the dam single track and pick up the single track where it crosses the road.

Or ride across to boesmans and ride around there, could be more fun for the youngster.

Or drop a PM, could meet you and show you the way

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know how badly the Hemel & Aarde trail was affected by the fire?

I was there last week and had some awesome rides and my heart sank when I saw the smoke rising out of the valley! :(

Does anyone know how badly the Hemel & Aarde trail was affected by the fire?

I was there last week and had some awesome rides and my heart sank when I saw the smoke rising out of the valley! :(

:(

sorry, where does this trail start ?

Would love to try the 17km route .... possibly with some "padkos" and make it into a nice trip with Maritz ....  He has done the 12km loop of Hermanus trails with me a couple of times

The red route is brilliant. These trails are built by people who know what they are doing so the flow is excellent. There is enough gnar to make anyone happy on the red loop. Beaut rocky berms, rock tables and amazing high speed sections too. Berms and flat corners, this route has it all. It makes H n A look rather tired in comparison. Do it, its worth the extra drive.

Euodia cycles posted that all trails are down, with damage to bridges, route markers and fallen trees. the only part open is top loop at Sumaridge..

All very sad news 

Do these trails still exist? I thought pretty much everything went up in smoke.

Also, if you ride an E-bike make sure it's fully charged. I'm not sure if there is power in Hermanus yet...

Pretty sad to have so much destroyed by idiots shooting flares 

Track below Summaridge( includes the whole blue and green routes, start of red and black) is basically destroyed, bridges burnt , trees over track, so that 1st part of the Hemel en aarde track is closed, for now.

Track open from Summaridge into the valley, except parts through the horse farms ( bypassed aro young foals)

Power is back on, Hermanus very much open .

Edited by JohanMalan

So sad !

The H&A trail is so much more than a line in the sand .... so many bridges over the river.  So many elevated riding zones - also wood.  It would be a monster task to replace all of this ....

• 1 month later...

I had an awesome ride at Hemel & Aarde on Saturday... Was surprised how much of the trail was open!  Only section not open because of the fire was the climb above Camphill Farm.  The route now takes you around the bottom of Camphill and then up the gorge. But the signage has all been repaired and updated and the portage at the top of the gorge has been rebuilt.  Kudo's to the guys who are maintaining the trails! :thumbup:

Some of the landscape was quite stark and burnt.  And scarily, a month later, there is still smoke rising out of some of the patches of blue gums along side the tar road! :o But also cool to see new growth already popping out in the burnt areas...

Thank you for the update.

Do you possibly know if the rest of the 12km route (to Plaaskombuis and back) has been affected ?

• 2 years later...

@Goosebay , Resurrecting an old thread here.

Heading to Stanford over die Christmas break. Wondering if there are any new trails to check out in the area other than what is listed above?

I have done Lomond, absolute treat and well built, will be heading there again forsure.