MTB hermanus

Meezo

New stuff at Hemel and Aarde.  Quite a bit has been added to the Stanford valley trails over the last year or so.  The Lomond trails are pretty good at the moment.  Suggest the black up to the quarry and then down the Lomond tri route as on the map, then the red route if you have the legs (they used the yellow, at the split go right).  Also some off route gems :)Full-MTB-25km.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been Wayyyyy too long since we did the Hemel and Aarde trails ....

What are the options for the Red or Black routes at the moment ?  I saw some posts about Camphill being closed off .....

Is there some way to bypass this, and still get up and past to the dam ?  Do we need any gate codes with the new route ?

Payment - is the honest box still at the cycle shop ?  We would like to get an early start ....

Any tips and advise will be greatly appreciated.  

There is still the honesty box, but better because it now has snapscan (also a snapscan board when you join from Rotary way). I haven't really gone past Sumaridge, but from what I saw in late December:

The barrel loop at the start is pretty fun.

Camphill is closed as far as I know, but the route just goes under the farm and joins back up to the gorge part. The sharp little portage section (well, I'm sure some people can ride it, I just can't) in the gorge is less annoying while wearing mtb shoes because they added some wooden blocks.

The La Vierge descent has been tamed down a little, but still fun.

The route back up to Rotary way is nicer with some uphill single track for the last 1/3 or so.

Coming down from Rotary way, there is a flatter singletrack option down instead of the mineshaft (I think that was what is was called?).

The river singletrack is even better than before, with some mild jumping options if you are so inclined.

Thank you.

So we can pay and ride nice and early.

We can do the old RED route, just bypassing the Camphill section .... I trust there are clear signage as to this by-pass route ?

I dont know the names of the individual sections ... :whistling: :ph34r:  

I have done the 12km route many times, but only did the Red once.

There is just something extra nice about these flowing trails.

Chris, it's all clearly sign posted, just follow the arrows. The route below Campbell has been there a while now and there are no gates you need codes for. 

I was there in Jan... Didn't ride as much as I hope due to a mechanical, but it seems the Red route now crosses over the tar road after you climb out the gorge and then drops back down the other side of the valley (instead of going up and down the fields to Sumaridge... which is actually OK in my opinion as that bit wasn't very interesting - dodge steaming cow pats and wondering if that large bull in the corner of the field is friendly! 😄)  

The signage still indicated you can go left when you exit the gorge on the black route that circles round the dam to Sumaridge. Nice loop to add in a very extra km, scenic but nothing hectic...

The single track climb to the top of Rotary way was changed as well. Bit easier now as it cuts out the loose rocky climb.

Definitely try some of the Black routes before Camphill in the bluegums, I think the one segment is called 'Proper mtb' on Strava... Good fun!

Enjoy!!

Having done the Red route before I am comfortable with it.

QUESTION - how much does the black route compare ?

- just longer ?

- steeper and more climbs ?

- dangerous ?

I am hoping to add 1 or 2 black sections to stretch the distance to 40'ish  km ....  

Skill level .... I was okay with the Eselfontein trails .... though I walked 2 or 3 short sections.

Following some personal messages we gave the Black routes a try on Saturday.

For context - we certainly are average weekend riders, at best.

We ENJOYED these Black route trails.

Our "findings" :

- Length - the black route has various loops that turns off the red route adding more distance for those wanting to stretch their legs.

- Elevation - the black route adds a decent amount of elevation !!

- Level of difficulty - we did not find it any more difficult than the red route.  The challenge on these trails, for us as newbies on these trails, lies in the fast changing terrain.  One would need to know the area well before trying to up the pace.  Hard packed surface, next moment your front wheel is grabbed by thick sand .... slightly worn decent into loose sand or pebbles in the turn at the bottom .....  Riding with due caution these trails are safe.  Trying to set a new record this could quickly become very scary.

The photo below, is one of the only spots that we got unstuck with, the camera does NOT do it justice ..... Have to take it slow down a steep section, then over the bridge, immediate 90 degree bend on LOOSE pebbles and an instant STEEP climb !!  Second turn of the pedal after the turn the ebike spun out, tried to save it but with the next turn of the pedal I had to put my foot down .... NO way to up that hill on that loose stuff .... walked 20m, and waited for my friend.  Even on the Scott (non e-bike) he had the exact same experience, and had to walk up.  NO COMPLAINTS !!  THIS is what makes these routes super special - the challenge. :clap:

HA-41.jpg.96fc73a9e0e924d9578b634bb84781f7.jpg

While we stopped for pics of the Gorge, a man and woman came past us .... it was sobering to see them walking up the next section ... short steep rutted and loose section followed by the steep wooden part.

Uhm .... jaaaa .... now this looks like a lekka challenge .... granny gear, 80% power setting, dropped the seat post to get the weight nice and low .... it was a fine balance between spinning out and popping a wheelie, continually moving my body weight around while staying seated super low.  Certainly was a "strange" feeling on that wooden section, with the shear drop on the side, to feel the front wheel lifting a couple of times .... WOW !!!!  I made it to the top !!  Waiting at the top of this section for my friend -

HA-76.jpg.5c3a376ff6a607bbe04f30dac4d1287d.jpg

PLEASE NOTE - These trails offer various opportunities to test your skills, or to walk short sections.   The couple of loose corners means you really need to be alert.  BUT, these are some of THEE MOST SCENIC routes !!!  You will have the odd adrenaline rush, but you will have a visual feast for the full ride !! 

HA-10.jpg.aaade253577bbe4c8a371b54ef87a1b0.jpg

HA-19.jpg.4a9c79cc6ac3630b5c0be7dd2e863e41.jpg

HA-21.jpg.f27285d2555fb883646eea13915f650d.jpg

HA-24.jpg.78fc93ff982e1a79aa59a36552fbb738.jpg

HA-25.jpg.12ab88df00ce0c97c6e0fcb05fadb792.jpg

HA-22.jpg.51b8e8cbdc583c51a5e790102983ec45.jpg

HA-72.jpg.63eb286a0fc3102ac00034b054976d57.jpg

HA-80.jpg.ace4523bd96202af670e8a2058815869.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

This was one of the best trails i did (black trail). Work hard on the climb, but had so much fun doing it. 

This was my first 50km ride and could not ask for a better view

• 2 months later...

Enjoyed some lekker rides up the Hemel & Aarde valley this weekend.

I tried the 'Trail Park' section in the bluegum forest for the first time. Very cool! 3 different style routes down and a lekker single track climb back up.