Broken Hanger?

Markus66

Hi Guys,

My bike fell over in the house - dog knocked it over :) and with it the derailleur broke off at the hanger (i think).

I have attached a picture and was hoping you guys could clarify?

The bike is 3 months old (Merida Ninety-Six 800 - 2018).

Thanks guys

post-129699-0-39726000-1537507122_thumb.jpg

Edited by Markus66

Hey Markus.

No picture of the hanger?

Attached is another picture Jackson, let me know if you guys need more pics :)

post-129699-0-79934400-1537507172_thumb.jpg

Edited by Markus66

That is the hanger that broke, as it was designed to, in order to protect your much more expensive derailer.

Just take the bike back to the LBS you bought it from, they should stock the correct hanger for that bike. Let them fit it, they have the correct tools for it, and to check the alignment afterwards, and do the necessary adjustments to get your shifting 100%.

Not a train smash, relatively quick and easy fix.

Thanks for the reply - the answer I was hoping for :)

That is the hanger that broke, as it was designed to, in order to protect your much more expensive derailer.

Just take the bike back to the LBS you bought it from, they should stock the correct hanger for that bike. Let them fit it, they have the correct tools for it, and to check the alignment afterwards, and do the necessary adjustments to get your shifting 100%.

Not a train smash, relatively quick and easy fix.

Thanks for the reply - the answer I was hoping for :)

If you are planning on keeping the frame or a long time, buy a spare.  They are normally not that expensive but can be a problem to get hold of if the frame is not manufactured anymore.

If you are planning on keeping the frame or a long time, buy a spare.  They are normally not that expensive but can be a problem to get hold of if the frame is not manufactured anymore.

I am sitting with this problem now.Fuji SL roadbike and hanger is sort of kaput.Cant find one so glueing it currently.Sound advice.

Sorry to hijack this thread... but am looking for some advice:

The hanger keeps snapping on my old giant nrs2 dual suspension 26" mountain bike .

It has happened three times... all while riding and never associated with a fall or knocking it on a rock...

It happens while I'm pedalling - the last time it happened i was riding on a gravel road... I looked down to see the derailleur pull forward and then the hanger just snap off. It seems as if the chain is getting caught in the derailleur? Anyone else had this experience? Any tips on how to solve it?

Sorry to hijack this thread... but am looking for some advice:

The hanger keeps snapping on my old giant nrs2 dual suspension 26" mountain bike .

It has happened three times... all while riding and never associated with a fall or knocking it on a rock...

It happens while I'm pedalling - the last time it happened i was riding on a gravel road... I looked down to see the derailleur pull forward and then the hanger just snap off. It seems as if the chain is getting caught in the derailleur? Anyone else had this experience? Any tips on how to solve it?

Yep check the chain - had that happen about 4 weeks ago on road bike. My chain was broken but not completely and there was a protrusion which got caught up in the derailleur and the hanger broke.

Edited by porqui

• 2 years later...

I broke my hanger on my beloved Alice...she is a 2011 TREK EX 5...after much searching and panic states ...Ive found out she has what they call a ABP rear set up and hence the hanger is "different" ...since found out they dont really keep many in stock AND to make matters worse there is a RACING hanger and a CLASSIC hanger ...2 different serial numbers....After much Googling my local bike shop sources one ...and I source 2 from a bike shop in KZN...the 2 KZN hangers are correct and the other was not...imo they were not cheap at R380.00 a pop and this is after 2 years of riding trails etc etc....

This happened 60k into a 125k ride and as I was putting down the power to climb a short sharp hill...

Back 3 hours to the start of the ride ...I bumped Alice and she fell over on the ground and am I right in assuming that this is what did the hanger in????

As I am very careful when riding and dont really take uneccessary risks ,,,I am now somewhat aprehensive to ride as could this happen under normal riding condition when pedaling hard up hills etc etc...

I broke my hanger on my beloved Alice...she is a 2011 TREK EX 5...after much searching and panic states ...Ive found out she has what they call a ABP rear set up and hence the hanger is "different" ...since found out they dont really keep many in stock AND to make matters worse there is a RACING hanger and a CLASSIC hanger ...2 different serial numbers....After much Googling my local bike shop sources one ...and I source 2 from a bike shop in KZN...the 2 KZN hangers are correct and the other was not...imo they were not cheap at R380.00 a pop and this is after 2 years of riding trails etc etc....

This happened 60k into a 125k ride and as I was putting down the power to climb a short sharp hill...

Back 3 hours to the start of the ride ...I bumped Alice and she fell over on the ground and am I right in assuming that this is what did the hanger in????

As I am very careful when riding and dont really take uneccessary risks ,,,I am now somewhat aprehensive to ride as could this happen under normal riding condition when pedaling hard up hills etc etc...

I had a newer EX5 .... I swear TREK goes out of their way to custom make every basic component ...

If you can get a hanger, buy a spare .... not many places around here that stocked spares for my EX5, and the dealers were ever so slightly "expensive" ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Once you have a new hanger, it really should last another 10 years .... or until it gets knocked ...

I had a newer EX5 .... I swear TREK goes out of their way to custom make every basic component ...

If you can get a hanger, buy a spare .... not many places around here that stocked spares for my EX5, and the dealers were ever so slightly "expensive" ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Once you have a new hanger, it really should last another 10 years .... or until it gets knocked ...

Hi Chris ...thanks for that...what I needed ..just some confirm that it was the fall over and yes I now do have a spare and maybe getting one machined as a back up...

Hangers are made to be weak ... the ideal is they should bend or snap, thereby protecting the derailure and frame.

I have seen on a friends bike what happens when the hanger is too strong ... and we had to replace the derailure.

Thats all good and well .... but then they really should make sure we can get hold of hangers.  :wacko:  

And then you get the Scott CR1 made with an integrated hanger (apparently to save weight), now for a part designed to be sacrificial that is more than a problem. Damage/bend hanger and you have a massive problem.

Unique clever parts that salesman love banging on about are going to be the ones to make you cry...

Bendy hangers to save rear mechs are all good and dandy until you fall, knock it just right so it bends the mech into your spokes, destroys the hanger, expensive mech as well as some spokes.

True story lol.