Cervical fusions

RoseMary

Hello,

I am a forty four year old who has three spinal fusions in her neck.  Two from birth and the third from a serious spinal injury where I had to learn to walk again.  Six years after the injury I am pretty lucky and can do most things but limit too much impact when exercising.  I cycle with my kids to school on a heavy dutch style bike but if I cycle too often my fingers go numb at night.  I am trying to work out what is the ideal bike for me as ideally I would like to cycle more for fitness and also because my eleven and nine year old boys have joined a triathlon club.  My eldest child cycles independently so I only need to carry bags for one child and my youngest can cycle on his own next year.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good bike and I am even ready to consider an electric bike!  Help me! Or a light upright bike rather than my cheap decathlon bike.

Many thanks

Mary

Hi Mary. Welcome to the Hub.

I would suggest you go to a physio that specializes in cycling (who cycles them self)

A few years ago I had a disk prolapse in my lower back (twice at the same vertebrate). The last neurosurgeon that treated me is an avid cyclist who has done an Epic or two. Our last consultation was just spent on discussing cycling and recovering in order to continue cycling. Ironically in my case he prefers that I do mountain bike rather than road cycling. The reason is that one moves around more on a mountain bike. This was confirmed by a physio a few years later (the physio used to race league and also did the Epic).

If you can find people like above they will be able to help you.

Hi Mary. Welcome to the Hub.

I would suggest you go to a physio that specializes in cycling (who cycles them self)

A few years ago I had a disk prolapse in my lower back (twice at the same vertebrate). The last neurosurgeon that treated me is an avid cyclist who has done an Epic or two. Our last consultation was just spent on discussing cycling and recovering in order to continue cycling. Ironically in my case he prefers that I do mountain bike rather than road cycling. The reason is that one moves around more on a mountain bike. This was confirmed by a physio a few years later (the physio used to race league and also did the Epic).

If you can find people like above they will be able to help you.

Thank you... I have asked my physio and also previous physio's.  I am having a new MRI done in a couple of weeks and may ask my rheumatologist although i have found in the past any medical person normally advices me not to exercise because of the risk of falling.  I was even adviced against hiking!  I am a rebellious patient which helped my recovery enormously!  I don't want to spend a considerable amount of money on a new bike to find I have made the wrong purchase.

Thank you... I have asked my physio and also previous physio's.  I am having a new MRI done in a couple of weeks and may ask my rheumatologist although i have found in the past any medical person normally advices me not to exercise because of the risk of falling.  I was even adviced against hiking!  I am a rebellious patient which helped my recovery enormously!  I don't want to spend a considerable amount of money on a new bike to find I have made the wrong purchase.

My point is also that there are no concrete answers. I was advised not to jog, but did a 5 day hike last year with a 30kg backpack without issues.

I think as far as the bike goes I would be more focused on the correct position on the bike vs electric or not. That's why someone that is pro cycling will be helpful.

i have had a cervical fusion and also have some problems with numbness of my left hand specfifically....not sure if its related to the fusion or just a normal cycling issue.

What i did find that a proper cycle set up alleviated the problem to a large extent but not completely. I guess there is no one size fits all solution but a proper set up would be the first place to start

i have had a cervical fusion and also have some problems with numbness of my left hand specfifically....not sure if its related to the fusion or just a normal cycling issue.

What i did find that a proper cycle set up alleviated the problem to a large extent but not completely. I guess there is no one size fits all solution but a proper set up would be the first place to start

Just googled bike fitters and they exist in the UK so may take a look when I am there next.  Out of interest when do you get the numbness.  Mine is always both hands when I get it and always at night which is very annoying as it interferes with my sleep.

Just googled bike fitters and they exist in the UK so may take a look when I am there next.  Out of interest when do you get the numbness.  Mine is always both hands when I get it and always at night which is very annoying as it interferes with my sleep.

There are bike fitters in za, or to get an understanding watch some YouTube videos on how to set up a bike as a starter.

If you are getting numbness while sleeping this indicates a different problem and not cycling related, that is either a circulatory issue or nerve issue which needs attention. My left hand on the bike always numbs up quicker than my right, I am left handed. After I had my bikes set up the issue is experience much less but still there from time to time.

Hi there. I had cervical fusion c6/7 last November, back on the bike within 6 weeks. Doctor said x-rays showed full fusion so no reason not to ride. Had two falls too, no problems. I race in A group now.

The point is that proper recovery and rehabilitation is key. I would suggest first building up your core and neck musculature before seriously riding again. Commutes are fine, but I sense you want to do more than that.

Then get properly fitted on the bike. You'll probably get nerve-related issues but they may not all be cycling related. It could be that the overused muscles in the neck press on a nerve but it could be something else altogether. For what it's worth, my right hand is still partially numb but that has nothing to do with cycling.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Oh, and to answer your question, the ideal bike is one that is comfortable. Don't assume the Dutch bike will be more comfortable than a racing bike or mountain bike. It all depends on the set up and how you ride it.

Hi Rosemary,i'm 55 and have caged fusion of c4/5 and c6/7, and I ride a 29r hardtail,but with a very short 35mm stem and riser bars,just to give me a slightly uprite position,as I have limited movement " up and Down" ,and the upright position allows me to see further in front.take it slowly,it will hurt,but as your neck gets used to the position,you will increase your time in the saddle.and remember recovery is as important as training.

I can't run more than 5ks and then my legs go numb,but I manage to cycle for 3 hrs 4 -5 times a week at high intensity

oh yes that is all MTB, cannot ride a road bike at all

Hi there. I had cervical fusion c6/7 last November, back on the bike within 6 weeks. Doctor said x-rays showed full fusion so no reason not to ride. Had two falls too, no problems. I race in A group now.

The point is that proper recovery and rehabilitation is key. I would suggest first building up your core and neck musculature before seriously riding again. Commutes are fine, but I sense you want to do more than that.

Then get properly fitted on the bike. You'll probably get nerve-related issues but they may not all be cycling related. It could be that the overused muscles in the neck press on a nerve but it could be something else altogether. For what it's worth, my right hand is still partially numb but that has nothing to do with cycling.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

To me, this is very good advice.

I thought three years ago I'd need a C6-7 fusion at least, and 6 months ago an L4-5-S1 fusion.  In both cases I reached a very rough point after months of problems, then took the conservative approach focusing on building up core strength.  The damaged disks have led to arthritis, degeneration and osteophytes causing quite serious nerve impingement so I know what you mean about numb hands etc.  That also happened to me but my arms (left particularly) would go numb while sleeping which was due to posture causing further compression.  Physio exercises helped to some extent but the best has been gym work.  If I stop that, and if I don't watch posture, the problem starts again.

Initially, when the neck issue was at its worst, I could hardly cycle but swopped mountain bikes so that I was riding very upright which helped but it wasn't too long before I went back to my original set up, and a few months after that picked up riding the road bike again.  But it took a full two years before I could do something like a plank again.

This year I'm working through similar issues, but for the lower spine.  I can hardly believe how much difference two months of targeted core work has made.  At the end of January, my left leg had to be "carried" to get it to go anywhere due to sciatica... On Sunday I spent 7.5 hours (!) riding the Karoo to Coast - long and slow, but I finished and without any serious discomfort or consequences unlike a few years ago.

This is a lot about my own situation but I want to share it to reinforce the advice above and encourage you to keep at it.  I actually find cycling regularly helps immensely to keep neck and lumbar spine happy.

I found useful information here too --> https://www.spine-health.com

Good luck and please update as you go!