New Helmet. What to buy?

RGB1

Hi All. I am looking to buy a new Helmet. I want to get something of good quality. Budget of 2k. Had a look at the Giro Chronicle, POC Trabec, Rudy Protera and Uvex Quattro. Any advice or reviews on these? Or other options? All assistance will be much appreciated.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try on the Specialized Ambush. I don't own one, but only heard raving about them and they look smashing (no pun intended).

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/shop/specialized-mens/mens-clothing--shoes/bike-helmets--helmet-parts/c/helmetsandhelmetpartsmen

The Leatt DBX 3.0 All Mountain Helmet is also sick as AIDS...

https://www.acesports.co.za/products/leatt-dbx-3-0-all-mountain-helmet

Plus one on Spez lids

I have not had 1 of the spaz lids but had a leatt DBX 3.0 for a short while found it very heavy. Sold it and bought a Giro Fixture it's got great coverage and is very light just over 260g did the K2C with it great air flow and cheap as chips depending on where you get it but from around R800

post-80000-0-11119400-1538310784_thumb.jpg

I replaced a 10-month old Bell with a Leatt DBX 2.0 (lighter than DBX 3.0). Exceptionally good fit, I really like their version of MIPS, nice styling and not too pricey.

Only I don't like it. The webbing is super thin and the chinstrap has a habit of resizing itself. The webbing has two small gaps on your brow: perfect for delivering the odd bead of sweat on your sunglasses.

Wife bought a Scott MIPS helmet (can't remember the model name, but it's around 2K), and I have helmet envy.

I looked at EVERYTHING and almost bought an IXS TrailRS Evo, now realising that should have bought either the Scott or the IXS. (So if you want a used-4-times DBX cheep-cheep you know who to chirp)  :whistling:

Specialized Ambush fits my head. The vizor is a functional size and adjustable. But chin strap only adjusts for length, can't adjust the shape of the "Y" around the ears, if you know what i mean.

I have not had 1 of the spaz lids but had a leatt DBX 3.0 for a short while found it very heavy. Sold it and bought a Giro Fixture it's got great coverage and is very light just over 260g did the K2C with it great air flow and cheap as chips depending on where you get it but from around R800

Where ? :eek:

Have a Spez Ambush and very happy with it - also has the crash replacement warranty which came in handy. If memory serves you only pay 50% for new helmet if involved in a crash and need a new lid.

Edited by Wet Ears

I found the Scott vivo with mips has the best airflow  .I was also impressed with the new giant helmets. Bought a Scott and i am very happy with the fit ,quality and airflowhttp://cyclelab.com/images/detailed/5/scott-vivo-246550-14.jpg

Edited by Blitzer