Silverback Sido 3 (2017) vs Silverback Slider ( 2017)

AndyJames

Wanting to buy my first bike. Both in my price range but not sure which to go for. My height is 178cm. The Sido 3 I can get is a large and the Slider is a medium fame. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by AndyJames

Slider is a far more versatile bike than the Sido, as it has more relaxed head angles and more travel. Sido is a XC race bike. 

If you race for position: Sido. If you ride for enjoyment: Slider. 

Yes, broad brush strokes. But IMO accurate for most of us. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

The slacker angle will be better but the 27.5 just doesn't roll over things like the 29 so how about the Silverback Surface? 29er with slacker angels and more travel. But out of those 2 I would go with the Sido. As for size you would have to test both sizes to see which size feels best.

On silverback website they have a body measurement frame sizing guide, check it out maybe give an indication where you lie in the size range.

Was quite accurate for us.

Thanks for the help. Is the Silverback Surface good for XC or is it more of a trail bike?

It's good for everything. But... If you mean XCO when you're talking XC, then I wouldn't choose it as an XCO weapon. It is, however, the bike that Luke Moir uses on anything but his XCO races. 

Thanks for the help. Is the Silverback Surface good for XC or is it more of a trail bike?

What do you mean by XC? XCO racing, multi-day stage racing / riding, XCM, etc.

And - in the above, excl XCO - do you race for position, or just ride?

The Surface is a trail bike. It'll do very well at multi day stage races / rides and single day fun rides, but for things like XCO racing and XCM racing (where you're at the front end of the pack) there are better bikes for the purpose, like the Sido. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

I'm just looking to have a bit of fun and not be too serious at this stage. I see the specs on the Surface look pretty good for the price. Is the bike a bit heavy at 14+kg though?

14kg for a bike like that isn't that, and to be honest they're all pretty much about there unless you do some serious weight saving, which costs money. It'll do everything you want it to do, and help you improve your skills and have fun at the same time. 

14kg for a bike like that isn't that, and to be honest they're all pretty much about there unless you do some serious weight saving, which costs money. It'll do everything you want it to do, and help you improve your skills and have fun at the same time. 

Chic I know is looking to get a Sido 3 as well. Currently on a Norco Storm 3. Worthy upgrade?

I'm not familia with the terminology. I guess as a beginner I would look to do ordinary basic cross country onevday rides and easy trails (if they are different disciplines)?

I'm not familia with the terminology. I guess as a beginner I would look to do ordinary basic cross country onevday rides and easy trails (if they are different disciplines)?

Then the Surface will be absolutely fine for that, and help with skills progression due to the slacker geometry and the way that helps with confidence when compared to something that is solely xc race focused.