Intervals.icu interval detection and training tool

What is W'? What's its significance and how is it sent - what value is sensible to use? I think I have an idea, but would rather have it from the horse's mouth as it were

Whats Watts ??

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming W'Bal

When set correctly with FTP, it'll go to zero when you cant no more, ie dead on the bike.

So basically, how much gas i have in the tank? or charge in my battery until it recharges?I presume that the algorithm will have us all recharging at a set rate? or some such?

hi David

When I review my fitness curve - it defaults to a certain start & end date.  I then adjust manually.  The next day, same original dates!!  Not the newly selected ones.

What am I doing wrong:-)

Thx

So basically, how much gas i have in the tank? or charge in my battery until it recharges?I presume that the algorithm will have us all recharging at a set rate? or some such?

Correct.

It isn't perfect, but is a good guide.

Check a couple of rides where you know you went very deep. See whether your W'Bal score went to zero or not, adjust the starting value accordingly.

It also needs your FTP value to be accurate.

Vetplant has it about right. Is how much energy you can expend above FTP. You can get an estimate from the /power page (tick say the 90d box). It isn't applied to rides automatically yet.

If you fill it in and turn on the W'bal chart you can see it go close to zero if you do a flat out effort. It recovers when you spend time under FTP, quicker the lower the power. If you get below zero then maybe your FTP has gone up or your W' is higher than you think. This is very similar to MPA in Xert.

Technically it is meant to be above CP (critical power) but Intervals.icu computes it relative to FTP when using the eFTP power model since that what most people use. 

Edited by davidtinker

David explains it very well.

The premise is that anything above FTP drains from the W' "tank", and anything lower than FTP fills the tank once again, until it reaches capacity. The further away from the FTP in either direction, the quicker the tank will drain/fill up.

Obviously it isn't perfect, very few mathematical models can capture real life perfectly. For example, you can't drain your body down to 0 and expect it to have the same capacity over and over again with repeated all-out efforts.

But as a way to display what your body went through in a race/ride, it is very interesting. You can possibly see where the elastic snapped for you and where you possibly burnt some unwanted matches that cost you dearly later on.

• 3 weeks later...

is there a way to use intervals.icu without strava? I totally moved away from strava a while back and don't want to go back there, but enjoyed intervls.icu.

Hi David,

I asked this on the app forum, but might ask here too.

The API daily limit of 100 requests every 15 minutes; 1000/daily. 
Is that for me refreshing my data, or for you as the person that has the API application?

If I look at the power tab, it has 4507 athletes in the 40-49 age group.
If they all update their data will it stop at 1000 athletes for the day, or does it limit me from refreshing 101 times in 15 minutes, up to a max of 1000 per day?

Or does it work in batches every 15 minutes, and the number of people in that batch is irrelevant?

Not sure if I've explained myself adequately, but here's hoping I have.

Edited by Frosty

The Strava rate limit is global and not per-user. They used to grant increases based on (among other things) how many users your app had. For probably at least the last year they haven’t been giving any increases at all, first ignoring the mail and then an automated message saying “no rate limit bumps”.

I think they have decided that Strava apps don’t fit into their strategy and not granting any rate limit increases is a way to kill them without a lot of bad publicity (e.g. if they killed the API).

just implemented GPX upload and of course I had to go pull in MVDP’s insane SB effort! Even for him that was a monster ride. Look how many times his HR was close to his max and his W’bal chart. He is running a massive deficit for the last 1h30. And you can see where he almost popped with approx 1h to race.

post-5083-0-44178100-1616409297_thumb.png

post-5083-0-28813700-1616409337_thumb.png

post-5083-0-52194500-1616409354_thumb.png

post-5083-0-50412100-1616409375_thumb.png

• 10 months later...

Hi David, I have questions regarding eFTP and ride FTP (and NP)

https://intervals.icu/activities/i3712022 this my 99er ride imported straight from Garmin connect.

The last hour is a 320w NP, so I would assume ride eFTP should be at about that instead of 285w ?

Recently I have done 10 mins intervals with one rep at 371w that bumped my eFTP up to 330w.

I wonder if there is a specific reason why you give more credit to a one time 20mins effort than a 1 hour NP in terms of FTP Estimate ?

Also it would be nice to have a tool to see hour peak 1 hour NP among all rides / within one ride to have a rough idea.

Lastly. For the same ride, Sauce on strava gives me a peak 60mins NP at 326w, I wonder if there are different formula to calculate NP ?

Cheers, once again thanks for the amazing work on intervals.icu ❤️

25 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Hi David, I have questions regarding eFTP and ride FTP (and NP)

https://intervals.icu/activities/i3712022 this my 99er ride imported straight from Garmin connect.

The last hour is a 320w NP, so I would assume ride eFTP should be at about that instead of 285w ?

Recently I have done 10 mins intervals with one rep at 371w that bumped my eFTP up to 330w.

I wonder if there is a specific reason why you give more credit to a one time 20mins effort than a 1 hour NP in terms of FTP Estimate ?

Also it would be nice to have a tool to see hour peak 1 hour NP among all rides / within one ride to have a rough idea.

Lastly. For the same ride, Sauce on strava gives me a peak 60mins NP at 326w, I wonder if there are different formula to calculate NP ?

Cheers, once again thanks for the amazing work on intervals.icu ❤️

Consider using the Intervals forum, as David is very active there.

https://forum.intervals.icu