Wanting to do Argus

Thetwakkie

Good morning all,

I'll be looking for some or a lot of advice....

I've been cycling a Titan Expert 27.5 MTB since Jan, I've done 2 MTB races but really prefer road cycling, thus I entered the Cape Town Cycle Tour.....

I would like some advice on what to look out for when purchasing a used road bike on a very limited budget...

Welcome to BikeHub

Do you want to get serious about road, or just want a bit easier ride for the CTCT?  

If it is to get serious about road, have a look at the classified on the hub (after making sure about the size you require).

If it is just to have an easier ride, slap on some slicks on your Titan and it will already be much easier.

Welcome to BikeHub

Do you want to get serious about road, or just want a bit easier ride for the CTCT?  

If it is to get serious about road, have a look at the classified on the hub (after making sure about the size you require).

If it is just to have an easier ride, slap on some slicks on your Titan and it will already be much easier.

Thanks for the welcome, 

I'm definitely serious about road cycling, looked at a lot of new bikes (tire kicking, sorry guys), I'm about 173/174cm so know by now that I'll need a 53/54cm, so I'm looking for something that will last. Thought a Carbon Bike would be the bee's knees, but after seeing a used one decided the extra kg or so for Aluminium would prob be better for pre-owned.

Only done one Argus, and did it on a Giant SCR in 2012. I can't remember if the bike was a 9 speed or 10 speed or 11 speed, but it took me from the start to the finish.

Also, how do you rate your fitness level? if you haven't started training yet, you have six months to train.

Good morning all,

I'll be looking for some or a lot of advice....

I've been cycling a Titan Expert 27.5 MTB since Jan, I've done 2 MTB races but really prefer road cycling, thus I entered the Cape Town Cycle Tour.....

I would like some advice on what to look out for when purchasing a used road bike on a very limited budget...

What is your budget ?

Thanks for the welcome, 

I'm definitely serious about road cycling, looked at a lot of new bikes (tire kicking, sorry guys), I'm about 173/174cm so know by now that I'll need a 53/54cm, so I'm looking for something that will last. Thought a Carbon Bike would be the bee's knees, but after seeing a used one decided the extra kg or so for Aluminium would prob be better for pre-owned.

Both Aluminium and Carbon fiber age/wear over time.

What bike is the right one, is like asking what the length of a piece of string is.

The Trek I posted earlier is a good quality bike (frame wise) (add removed). 9 speed Tiagra will be fine and you can still get parts. Getting a road bike to feel new is as easy as replacing the gear and brake cables.

Only done one Argus, and did it on a Giant SCR in 2012. I can't remember if the bike was a 9 speed or 10 speed or 11 speed, but it took me from the start to the finish.

Also, how do you rate your fitness level? if you haven't started training yet, you have six months to train.

I cycle 65km at an average 23kmph on the mtb, so prob not that great...