Epic Route comparisons

Bike Whisperer

The 2019 Absa Cape Epic route has been announced (old news now), which lit up my riding group's whatsapp discussions. This was then followed by  some unusual noises and sighs from my Epic destined friends.

I thought I'd try to compare the routes since the event's inception in 2004 to see whether their moans were warranted. Based on the limited route information available, I could compare entire events and their stages in terms of event and stage distance (km), total event and stage ascents (m) and average ascent (m/km) for the event and individual stages.

2019 is going to be a cracker (hopefuly not frames or riders)... but seriously tough. It's the shortest Epic at 624km (longest was in 2008 at 966km). But... it's the most intense in terms of climbing per distance covered at almost 27m per km of riding (on average), with stage 6 dishing out 30m per km. Every stage in 2019 will be  brutal in terms of climbing demand. 

Have a look at the graphic below and you'll immediately notice that 2019 seems a lot redder / orangier than any other year in the ascent rate category.

For reference:

RED = PAIN

BLUE = LESS PAIN.

2019 only has reddish / orangeish (lots of pain and significant pain) stages in terms of climbing rate, where all previous Epics had some blue to dilute the discomfort somewhat (relatively speaking). What's interesting is that the Epics are becoming shorter and more intense over the years, especially since 2016.

For all of you 2019 Epic riders, feel free to print, cut out the blokkies and paste these into your training palns / diaries where you need to be doing hill repeats. I doubt whether this will have any impact whatsoever on the outcome of your efforts, but at least you can keep reminding yourself that there will be pain, and lots of it next year.

Click on image to enlarge

post-15092-0-94291200-1539087834_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bike Whisperer

cool work there!

if we just look at the colours asc/km

stage 5 is the longest ever with dark red (30m/100km+) at 100km

stage 6 is tied second at 89km

2019 is also the hardest start 1/2/3 stages, and the hardest finish 5/6/7.

BUUUUT, the initial epic had

more distance

more total climbing

so it should have been harder.

which gets us to my axiom:

"not all kms are created equal"

Interesting that only climb rate / km is being consider as the measure of intensity.

I think you'll find that there is a lot of hidden intensity that is not being captured.

Stage 5 in 2008 for example went through the De Hoop Nature Reserve with a 15km deep sand section. Ascent alone is not a measure of the intensity 

cool work there!

if we just look at the colours asc/km

stage 5 is the longest ever with dark red (30m/100km+) at 100km

stage 6 is tied second at 89km

2019 is also the hardest start 1/2/3 stages, and the hardest finish 5/6/7.

BUUUUT, the initial epic had

more distance

more total climbing

so it should have been harder.

which gets us to my axiom:

"not all kms are created equal"

Tx.

Stage 5 is 29m/km. Like that matters. They are all tough in 2019

Edited by Bike Whisperer

Interesting - 2008 must have been brutal in comparison to the modern day "Epic"

The really interesting comparison would be all of those stats relative to ZAR's... shorter and shorter with huge increases in entry fees

Edited by Edge_Design

Interesting that only climb rate / km is being consider as the measure of intensity.

I think you'll find that there is a lot of hidden intensity that is not being captured.

Stage 5 in 2008 for example went through the De Hoop Nature Reserve with a 15km deep sand section. Ascent alone is not a measure of the intensity 

Correct.

I just struggled to get credible data on De Hoop geology, rock abrasiveness and turn bank angles to truly calculate the intensity.... oh, and the angle of repose of that specific sand type you mention.

Edited by Bike Whisperer

Look at the winning finishing time every year. It gets cut by an hour or two. It is getting easier. 

Science... Better drugs!

Correct.

I just struggled to get credible data on De Hoop geology, rock abrasiveness and turn bank angles to truly calculate the intensity.... oh, and the angle of repose of that specific sand type you mention.

well then get to it man .. What are you waiting for :thumbup:

Look at the winning finishing time every year. It gets cut by an hour or two. It is getting easier. 

Every year is hard. Some years are a faster, other years steeper.

known fact: almal gaan afk&k

Done it 3 times and every year I did it I found for me it got easier. With less training to boot......... And more drugs

Fixed the typo [emoji6]

Done it 3 times and every year I did it I found for me it got easier. With less training to boot.

I've also done about 3 Epics now.

Every year my couch gets more comfy as the beer keeps me hydrated.

Every year is hard. Some years are a faster, other years steeper.

known fact: almal gaan afk&k

There's tactics at play too, which affects speed of the winning team

Correct.

Please also look into long term weather forecast for the day as heat and humidity cannot be left out of the equation.