Epic Route comparisons

Bike Whisperer

The 2019 Absa Cape Epic route has been announced (old news now), which lit up my riding group's whatsapp discussions. This was then followed by  some unusual noises and sighs from my Epic destined friends.

I thought I'd try to compare the routes since the event's inception in 2004 to see whether their moans were warranted. Based on the limited route information available, I could compare entire events and their stages in terms of event and stage distance (km), total event and stage ascents (m) and average ascent (m/km) for the event and individual stages.

2019 is going to be a cracker (hopefuly not frames or riders)... but seriously tough. It's the shortest Epic at 624km (longest was in 2008 at 966km). But... it's the most intense in terms of climbing per distance covered at almost 27m per km of riding (on average), with stage 6 dishing out 30m per km. Every stage in 2019 will be  brutal in terms of climbing demand. 

Have a look at the graphic below and you'll immediately notice that 2019 seems a lot redder / orangier than any other year in the ascent rate category.

For reference:

RED = PAIN

BLUE = LESS PAIN.

2019 only has reddish / orangeish (lots of pain and significant pain) stages in terms of climbing rate, where all previous Epics had some blue to dilute the discomfort somewhat (relatively speaking). What's interesting is that the Epics are becoming shorter and more intense over the years, especially since 2016.

For all of you 2019 Epic riders, feel free to print, cut out the blokkies and paste these into your training palns / diaries where you need to be doing hill repeats. I doubt whether this will have any impact whatsoever on the outcome of your efforts, but at least you can keep reminding yourself that there will be pain, and lots of it next year.

Click on image to enlarge

wanna thank you, great info

2013 day 1 citrusdal, was the toughest day in my entire life on a bike.. Also toughest in al 3 epics I have done. I never want that day over in my life again. What made it worse is that we had a circa 150km ay the next day with climbing the first 1000m of elevation in the first 20km

I think the times on bike for the first 2 days was 9:30 and 10 hours the next day

Edited by Carmichael

Interesting that only climb rate / km is being consider as the measure of intensity.

I think you'll find that there is a lot of hidden intensity that is not being captured.

Stage 5 in 2008 for example went through the De Hoop Nature Reserve with a 15km deep sand section. Ascent alone is not a measure of the intensity 

Do marathon riders not pedal at all on the downs, or try and ride them fast? The pros surely do and if so, these are high heart rate sprints. Ask any #endurobro. I believe the Epic is going to include tracks like the Red Phoenix and Armageddon at JH. If so, this is sure to instil a bit of fear in your average Epic riders mind...

2013 day 1 citrusdal, was the toughest day in my entire life on a bike.. Also toughest in al 3 epics I have done. I never want that day over in my life again. What made it worse is that we had a circa 150km ay the next day with climbing the first 1000m of elevation in the first 20km

I think the times on bike for the first 2 days was 9:30 and 10 hours the next day

Agreed 100%. Citrusdal is like the F-word in my vocabulary.

Seems like a large portion of the 2019 route is on well-developed trails, fewer km's on district and wide open gravel roads... perfect for the XC guys...

Do marathon riders not pedal at all on the downs, or try and ride them fast? The pros surely do and if so, these are high heart rate sprints. Ask any #endurobro. I believe the Epic is going to include tracks like the Red Phoenix and Armageddon at JH. If so, this is sure to instil a bit of fear in your average Epic riders mind...

I spectated at a few of the latter stages this year and it does appear that they pedal hard on the ups and coast the downs. the thinking being that its too easy to lose it on the downs and waste 6 months of prep and cash spend just for a Strava Segment KOM.

I spectated at a few of the latter stages this year and it does appear that they pedal hard on the ups and coast the downs. the thinking being that its too easy to lose it on the downs and waste 6 months of prep and cash spend just for a Strava Segment KOM.

Then again, their version of coasting is a bit faster than the average rider - they do tend to flow a lot better. Watching the rank and file ride the Rhodes Mem singletrack was amusing last year.

Look at the winning finishing time every year. It gets cut by an hour or two. It is getting easier. 

better bikes, winners are more professional, better training techniques, better supplements...

Then again, their version of coasting is a bit faster than the average rider - they do tend to flow a lot better. Watching the rank and file ride the Rhodes Mem singletrack was amusing last year.

You mean 2018? Last year the prologue was still at Meerendal IIRC

Done it 3 times and every year I did it I found for me it got easier. With less training to boot.

Not down to experience? what other factors relating to you have impacted your performance? Training smarter is better than training more - after 3 epics you should understand what works best

Agree, more specifically the 2nd half. I remember the uphill sand pits and the about 5km's from the end I stopped remembering for approximately 6 hours. 

While not detracting from the great analysis, based on this criteria, the lazy Epic route planners could make 2020 up & down the Tokai mast all day, that way they can have a full service retail centre in the carpark and claim most climbing ever!

The excitement/fear factor of the Epic was the unknown factor of the route, clearly it is now all about the “altitude” and dollars! Time will tell?

Please also look into long term weather forecast for the day as heat and humidity cannot be left out of the equation. 

2019 Stage 1: 36 Deg C, 78% Humidity, 17km/h SSW... Wait, This is the Cape, so any forecast older than 15 minutes is no longer valid.