New bike time, but I need your help

partydave

So it's finally time to retire my trusty hardtail and get a shiny need steed.

I do 95% long distance, good condition, gravel roads with very little elevation. Every now and then I get the opportunity to do some trails and would like my bike to somewhat handle these. Many of the roads I explore have lots of corrugation that gives me numbsack on the hardtail, so a dual suss bike is what I'm after. It should also climb easy as I do a few events with steep hills.

The following bikes came up in my local search, would appreciate your input on these. My budget is 30k

Specialized Stumpjumper 29 ST

• R30 000
  • 11 Speed SRAM drivetrain
  • Gorgeous bike
  • Apparently a tad on the heavy side

Norco Fluid 3 29 FS

• R22 000
  • Appears to be great value for money and I admit I like the price
  • 10 Speed drive-train but can upgrade to 1x11 or 1x12 with money saved
  • Really great price

Norco Optic 29

• R28 000
  • This bike speaks to me, a lot
  • Seems to be more trail orientated
  • Seems to good value for money

Giant Anthem 3 29

• R28 000
  • Does not make me tingly in the right spots, but was told to seriously consider it anyway
  • Also 1x10 only
  • Should be reliable

Silverback Sido 3

• R24 000
  • Price fits my pocket
  • Again, doesn't speak to me much
  • Resale will be kuk

At the moment I'm not really looking at anything else as I'm limited to what local bike shops carry.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stumpy would be my choice. I have the Camber, and they share the same front triangle. My Camber does well on long rides and handles the odd trail with aplomb. The Stumpy is more trail orientated than the Camber (longer suspension travel), but you would do well to go that route. Still a good ride, and will likely be my replacement as well in a few years time.

Stumpy would be my choice. I have the Camber, and they share the same front triangle. My Camber does well on long rides and handles the odd trail with aplomb. The Stumpy is more trail orientated than the Camber (longer suspension travel), but you would do well to go that route. Still a good ride, and will likely be my replacement as well in a few years time.

He's talking about the new Stumpy ST, which replaced the Camber. The Stumpy LT is the new "old" Stumpjumper, aka the Stumpjumper you're referring to. 

Either way, Stumpy Short Travel gets my vote 

What about the new longer travel Epic?

Over budget unfortunately 

Thanks guys, as I expected, Stumpy is in the lead. The Norco bikes are still calling at me though

I'm actually in a similar boat as you.

Looking at the Stumpy ST, the new Epic EVO and the Trek Fuel EX.

Going to try the Epic EVO out this weekend.

My biggest problem with the Stumpy ST is that locally they currently only offer the entry level alloy one you're looking at or the expert level carbon which is quite a bit out of my price range.

Following this with interest because I'm thinking of "downgrading" from a Giant Trance to something a little less trail and all mountain orientated. I find myself riding less gnarly stuff and skipping the bigger jumps and and rock gardens. I supposed my sense of self preservation is finally catching up with my sense of adventure? :blush:  So, thinking of something lighter, more in line with flowing single track, berms, switchbacks and gravel roads to link the nicer bits. 

Over budget unfortunately 

Thanks guys, as I expected, Stumpy is in the lead. The Norco bikes are still calling at me though

Where would you get the Norco from?

I reckon with a bit of shopping around you could get n top of the line second hand carbon monster. It is a buyers market- make some offers and let us know. Plenty of bikes standing around in garages gathering dust and Christmas is

around the corner!!

Specialized Stumpjumper 29 ST

• R30 000
  • 11 Speed SRAM drivetrain
  • Gorgeous bike
  • Apparently a tad on the heavy side

Just a heads up, the Stumpy ST you're referring to doesn't have an SRAM drivetrain, it has an SRAM crankset, KMC chain, Sunrace cassette and Shimano SLX derailleur and shifters

Where would you get the Norco from?

I am wondering the same...

According to the Norco website the Fluid FS 3 is not available in SA, and the Optic is priced at  R79 999 for the complete bike, and R56999 for the frame kit.

Prices indicated by OP must be used imports?

Still, good looking bikes, and I would not mind having one of those Optics myself.

I'm not a Spez fan so I'll lead with that right off the bat  :blink:. If it was between the options mentioned above I would consider the Norco or Giant. 

If I could take the budget and apply it to another brand: Trek, Rocky Mountain would get my vote. But also don't disregard Momsen and Pyga either. Pyga would be more for the trails with more travel. 

For R30k you will be able to build yourself a very decent machine without having to do any upgrades. Chain Reaction Cycles currently has lots of specials going. 

My suggestion would be: Get a sweet frame and build you a decent bike with all the kit that you want / need. 

Edited by RobertWhitehead

I recently bought the Stumpy ST, and it is an excellent bike, but it is a trail bike and quite heavy.

You mentioned that you do 95% long distance on good gravel roads with little elevation.

For those conditions I still prefer my Trek Procaliber 9.6 for the same price.