Munga musings from a novice - The Race - Part 4 of the Trilogy

Carlog

The American navy seals have what they call a 40% rule. Basically when you mind says you done and kaput, you have only used 40% of your bodies capabilities. If ever this was applicable, then it would be for this event.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The American navy seals have what they call a 40% rule. Basically when you mind says you done and kaput, you have only used 40% of your bodies capabilities. If ever this was applicable, then it would be for this event.

On the flip side, I can hardly imagine that Carlog's musings could have been 60% better :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

This has been a truly amazing post to follow, well done Carlo, redifining the word "vasbyt".

I have a question and please don't take it as a criticism, but doesn't the extensive use of painkillers during an event like this bother you a bit. I'm not sure what the sports doctors would say, perhaps one of them on the forum could comment?

I'm always concerned by how many red and greens I see at these sort of events.

http://www.modernathlete.co.za/stories/the-myprodol-man

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/phys-ed-does-ibuprofen-help-or-hurt-during-exercise/

Hey Carlo,

Congrats with the race and awesome ride report. I started my report but I'm not as good with words like you. Not sure how to put the awesome experience into pictures. As I was reading your report and relived the waterpoints, the RV's, the moerse holes in the night, the diarrhea we got on the Friday due to stupidity, the pain, the awesome end.

I told my wife I'm going back for round two. She gave me one look and told me. You can do it all over again to us, but your not using our money for the entry fee.

That was the end of our conversation. So any suggestion of getting a entry without using my own money, please ping me :)

Awesome to be part of the crazy family called Mungrils.

Hey Carlo,

Congrats with the race and awesome ride report. I started my report but I'm not as good with words like you. Not sure how to put the awesome experience into pictures. As I was reading your report and relived the waterpoints, the RV's, the moerse holes in the night, the diarrhea we got on the Friday due to stupidity, the pain, the awesome end.

I told my wife I'm going back for round two. She gave me one look and told me. You can do it all over again to us, but your not using our money for the entry fee.

That was the end of our conversation. So any suggestion of getting a entry without using my own money, please ping me :)

Awesome to be part of the crazy family called Mungrils.

I have thought about that too and have concluded the following two options for myself (and i suppose for you too). 

One: Train harder and increase your moving average speed to 25km/h.  Look for sponsorship. get paid. 

Two:  Write a cracker of a ride report.  Look for a publishing gig.  Get paid.

I have concluded these are indeed options.  Just like putting a corrupt public official in jail is an option.  Just very unlikely.   :thumbup:

The struggle is real.  Try and convince your wife it is for good for your health.   My wife is younger than me and i convinced her that the only way we'll die together is if i grow very old.  And that requires me to do the Munga, again.  The link is obvious *eyes shift from left to right*  :ph34r:

Carlo,thanks for the memories!!

Like Sam81 it was great reliving the event through your report. 

I think it would be a disservice to everyone on the Hub to not have a race report from you for 2019!

Why don't you make your Option 2 funding model a reality....get onto one of the fundraising websites and let the hubbers start donating some cash - I'll definitely donate, on one condition you give us a monthly report on your preparation.

Thanks for those two very interesting links, I notice that they both refer  to one dy events, methinks the potential for damage would be much worse on an event like the munga.

Thanks Carlo - your report is simply brilliant and captures this amazing event perfectly. Thanks also for taking the time to write this "trilogy". I have enjoyed it tremendously from start to end.

And thanks again for the bum cream recipe. I just added one part Assos chamois cream to the recipe and it worked a treat!! It, however, does not guard against pudendal nerve damage....  :blush:  

does not guard against pudendal nerve damage....  :blush:  

Pleasure - STA "Save the Arse"  includes standing, swearing a little, and all the other techniques mungrals use.  Probably could write a whole story on 

what absolutely, definitely, works."

Carlo, it's been an enthralling pleasure reading your musing, thanks. Rather that should read THANK YOU!

Great effort on the bike followed with an arguably greater effort with the 'musings'. 

What I've learned from your escapade & reporting thereof is; much like life - have a plan, be well prepared, keep it simple & persevere the tough stuff. Finally, the job ain't complete until the admin is done.

Carlo, it's been an enthralling pleasure reading your musing, thanks. Rather that should read THANK YOU!

Great effort on the bike followed with an arguably greater effort with the 'musings'. 

What I've learned from your escapade & reporting thereof is; much like life - have a plan, be well prepared, keep it simple & persevere the tough stuff. Finally, the job ain't complete until the admin is done.

Glad you enjoyed it.  I think you may have just described the most successful entrepreneurs.  

• 8 months later...