[Event] Tshwane Classic

Forthelove

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

Seeded in A. Was not expecting that, since my seeding must've dropped so low because I haven't raced in so long. Just hoping to not get dropped. 

I'm back in DL for some reason. Can only think that it is because of the smaller batches.

Looking forward to this. Looking at the route and profile I'm expecting a fast race.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I'm back in DL for some reason. Can only think that it is because of the smaller batches.

Looking forward to this. Looking at the route and profile I'm expecting a fast race.

I'm doing the 60km. TM starting at 08h25. TT mode engaged. The deeeeeep sections are already fitted and ready to go. 

6 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

I'm doing the 60km. TM starting at 08h25. TT mode engaged. The deeeeeep sections are already fitted and ready to go. 

I'm expecting it to be fairly breezy on sunday, so I'll be seeking shelter

5 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I'm expecting it to be fairly breezy on sunday, so I'll be seeking shelter

Windy is predicting relatively low amounts of wind for the day, but those long open sections will remain tricky to get right in terms of hiding from the wind.

Get some lekker okes and practice those Echelon rotations. I still remember my first road-race was in that area and an old-toppie took control and showed us how to roll it, great fun. Finished waay ahead of the main bunch.

3 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Windy is predicting relatively low amounts of wind for the day, but those long open sections will remain tricky to get right in terms of hiding from the wind.

Get some lekker okes and practice those Echelon rotations. I still remember my first road-race was in that area and an old-toppie took control and showed us how to roll it, great fun. Finished waay ahead of the main bunch.

I've stopped trusting windy, it has lied about the wind and rain far to many times over the last 6-12 months.

And yes, once out in the open through the fields there is no shelter other than the other riders around you. I have plenty training miles in those conditions, riding solo, so hope to be able to cope.

13 minutes ago, ouzo said:

80km round trip to collect race number. :(

#letusprintourown

There was the option at previous editions to collect on the morning of the Race, IIRC. Give them a ring and ask if this is an option?

2 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

There was the option at previous editions to collect on the morning of the Race, IIRC. Give them a ring and ask if this is an option?

I saw that option, did not want to leave it to the last minute to collect.

5 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Nice training ride. What the problem is?

problem is I went with 4 wheels, had to take time out of a busy day to go to fourways of all places. I hate that place.

I see windy is predicting very similar weather as today, so I'll be wrapped up pretty warm.

Went to bed and woke up to a cloudy, icy, misty morning.

The layers, I put them all on.

Getting in and out on dusty graded road was not cool, although I'm not sure what they could have done different at that venue.

My strategy was to get into a decent paced group from the start, given the terrain and possible wind conditions. Once in the group I planned to force myself to fuel every 30-45 minutes as this is usually my downfall.

I stood in a queue to use a porta loo (my goodness they under catered with these) and then decided to go find some closer to the start.

I was in the queue at the loo near the start when my batch left, I managed to catch get into the next batch before they started. I didnt know they were the last batch.

I put in a bit of effort at the start to work my way forward and latched onto a gent and lady riding together. A small group would form and fall apart as we went, and then at around 20km we hit an incline were I moved to the front, a lady from A batch and another lady came past me and I decided to grab their wheel. Surprisingly to myself I sat very comfortable behind them, but when we crested the top they put the hammer down and I was left on my own.

This is where I picked up another gent that was riding at similar pace to me, so we rode together from there. Again we'd get wheel suckers for a stretch, then hit a little incline and drop the wheel suckers. Pace was maintainable but I was working to keep it.

At around 60km heading up an incline my left hamstring went into cramp, I dropped to the small chain ring, rode it out and was on my way again, hardly having dropped much time.

Turning to head back next to the N4 the road just climbs and climbs and climbs. It must be a good 15-20km of steady 1% incline. So not steep, but long. At the 75km mark my hamstring cramped again. Again I landed up dropping to the small chainring and riding it out. But this time I lost the gent I was riding with.

Ractec has me at 3:00 on the dot, I guess I started my garmin slightly later as I have it at 2h59. Ractec also has a higher avg speed as they are taking the official distance as 92km where everyone has measured 88km.

Avg HR over the 3hour was 164bpm with a new max of 184bpm.

Traffic is a bit of an issue in this race as other stated before. For the most part cars gave us space, but there was always the one or two who get to close for comfort.

A fairly well organised race once we were on the route 

HOWEVER .........

Driving 1 - 2 km on a dirt (powder soft ) road to get to the parking is NOT ON ...

Our bikes were disgustingly dirty , and yes , I am pedantic about my bike .

Should the same venue be used again , I for one will not attend .

Another thought that I was thinking during the race and has just come back to me.

Its time for organisers to start thinking about handlebar regulations again.

I didnt look at the rules so not sure if there was something in there or not, but a few potentially dangerous things I saw.

Lady with tri bars - she wasnt causing any issues when I saw her, but very well could have in close quarters

Gravel Bars - went passed a gent with serious flare on the drops, I could see someone snagging themselves when passing

Wide MTB bars, normally they dont bother me, but one guy had bars so wide it looked like he was holding a broom stick, made even worse by the fact that he was holding the bars rather close to the stem

54 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Another thought that I was thinking during the race and has just come back to me.

Its time for organisers to start thinking about handlebar regulations again.

I didnt look at the rules so not sure if there was something in there or not, but a few potentially dangerous things I saw.

Lady with tri bars - she wasnt causing any issues when I saw her, but very well could have in close quarters

Gravel Bars - went passed a gent with serious flare on the drops, I could see someone snagging themselves when passing

Wide MTB bars, normally they dont bother me, but one guy had bars so wide it looked like he was holding a broom stick, made even worse by the fact that he was holding the bars rather close to the stem

Think the race is governed by UCI rules.

That said, it is WAY too difficult to enforce........the Ooms and Tannies would rather face off head-on traffic in order to should at the VA rider to get out of the VB bunch.

Stouter............

7 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Think the race is governed by UCI rules.

That said, it is WAY too difficult to enforce........the Ooms and Tannies would rather face off head-on traffic in order to should at the VA rider to get out of the VB bunch.

Stouter............

I dont blame the Ooms and Tannies manning these events, its should be the organisers.